"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Farm to Table > Canning and Preserving

Old 10-25-2006, 01:25 AM   #11
Master Chef

Yep, Gretchen - "close" only counts in horseshoes. Getting the temp up that last 2-3 degrees to 220-F can make the difference between jelly and syrup.

But - even after hitting the target temp - it sometimes needs to cook a little before it will set (from my experiences). That is why I use the spoon sheet test, and then the cold plate in the freezer test (that you use), as backup tests. To me, the thermometer is only a guage as to when I am getting close ...

Old 10-25-2006, 07:02 AM   #12
Head Chef

Well, again, THANKS, everyone!

I did have a candy thermometer and the temp was 220 for a long time, but I guess I didn't have enough pectin in there (I left the peel on, but I did core and seed the apples - NOW I know!)

I boiled it so long, trying to get to the set point, that there was no flavor left to the goo at all, just some sweet. I had to toss it, it was gross.

I very much appreciate all the help, and Gretchen, I love blueberry jelly, so I will try that next time!

Lee

Old 10-25-2006, 07:36 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
Yep, Gretchen - "close" only counts in horseshoes. Getting the temp up that last 2-3 degrees to 220-F can make the difference between jelly and syrup.

But - even after hitting the target temp - it sometimes needs to cook a little before it will set (from my experiences). That is why I use the spoon sheet test, and then the cold plate in the freezer test (that you use), as backup tests. To me, the thermometer is only a guage as to when I am getting close ...
I totally agreed with you. I have never used a thermometer and really only spoke from my experience with making candies. It sometimes seems like the thermometer is broken, it is stuck just below the target temp for so long. And once you see the sheet test, it is so easy. Haven't ever used the plates.

If a new jelly maker wants to see the sheet test, make some jam/jelly using artificial pectin according to the directions for the jelly/jam being made. During the timed part of the cooking, pour some of the mixture off of a spoon.It will just drop off like water--in droplets. When the cooking is complete and ready to be poured into the jars, take the spoon and do it again. The liquid will gather toward the point where it will come off the spoon in a sheet.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:57 AM   #14
Head Chef

I so badly need to buy a themometre. I have never used one, for candies or jam or jellies, or anything, but I can see it would save candy making disasters. I just make things the way my mother does.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:44 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Definitely for candy although I made fudge for MANY years without it--back when making fudge was as common as making microwave popcorn is now.