Manzano Chili

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigC

Master Chef
Found a new Mexican grocery. I needed some Achiote paste so we stopped to check it out. Saturday I watched an episode of Pati's Mexican Table where she made a halibut dish using 5 peppers. One of which was a yellow chili pepper called a Manzano. I'd never seen these before. Wouldn't you know it, guess what I found in their produce section?
okay.gif

36788-albums322-picture8020-jpg.29594

On the Scoville Scale they are between 12,000 to 30,000 units. Hotter than a serrano. They are also called The Apple Chili. My first use of this chili will be in a Pico de Gallo for our tacos this week.

I grew some of those years ago - weren't they the ones with the black seeds - rocoto, or rocotto I think was the only name that they had for them in the catalogs back then. I never grew them again. Years later, they started showing up in the local markets, though I never noticed that name. Amazing all the chiles available now, that were unheard of, years ago!

Yes they have black seeds. Although there are quite a few chilis available, there are several that aren't commercially viable, which I really want to try.

Back
Top Bottom