Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Appetizers & Hors D'oeuvres (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f7/)
-   -   Swim Party Tonight (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f7/swim-party-tonight-13601.html)

CookinBlondie 08-02-2005 01:55 PM

Swim Party Tonight

Tonight, all of the county 4-H clubs are holding their annual swim party, and I need to make a little appetizer-like dish to take. We have a garden full of fresh Cucumbers, and Tomatoes, so using those would be good. I want something that tastes fresh, and also looks good when served. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, even if they don't use those fresh veggies. Thanks in advance!

GB 08-02-2005 01:57 PM

This recipe uses both. I don't usually like feta cheese, but it would go great with this as well so feel free to ad it for a more Greek taste.

Greek Cucumber Salad

1 cup cucumber diced (I use 1/2 to 1 full English cuke)
1 cup tomato chopped (I used 1 lg tom)
3/4 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup kalamata olives sliced
3-6 scallions slices
handful of parsley chopped
juice of 1 lemon
1 clove garlic minced
1 teaspoon sugar
salt and pepper to taste
2-3 tablespoons EVOO
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
toasted pita bread torn (optional)

Combine the cuckes, tomato, chickpeas, olives, scallions, and parsley in a bowl.

Whisk lemon juice, garlic, sugar, salt, and pepper. Drizzle EVOO into lemon mixture while whisking. Stir in mint. Adjust seasonings to taste.

Toss salad with vinaigrette and toasted pita (if using). Serve at room temp.

This would be good with feta, grilled chix in a pita pocket as a sandwich.

CookinBlondie 08-02-2005 02:06 PM

Thanks for the great recipe GB, I'll have to keep it in mind. Here's the problem though: I don't have a lot of those ingredients on hand, and have no way of getting them before this evening. Any suggestions for replacements, or another recipe?

CookinBlondie 08-02-2005 02:10 PM

P.S> I also have a few fresh banana peppers

GB 08-02-2005 02:10 PM

Do you have any fresh herbs? What if you just took the tomatoes and cukes and cut them up, mixed with some fresh herbs and olive oil, salt, and pepper. If this stuff is from your garden then I am sure it tastes wonderful already so you won't need to add lots of other flavors in.

CookinBlondie 08-02-2005 02:23 PM

I don't have any fresh herbs....:( I'm going to also add this to my request: It needs to have kid appeal. Something kids will enjoy eating as much as adults?

GB 08-02-2005 02:33 PM

What else do you have on hand to work with or what can you get in time?

CookinBlondie 08-02-2005 02:36 PM

Well, we have carrots, zucchini, cauliflower, romain lettuce, cheeses, pastas, vinegars, oils, dryed herbs. That sort of thing.

pdswife 08-02-2005 02:39 PM

I just posted this on the veggie thread but, here it is again since you asked : )

Marinated Cucumbers (a condiment from Thailand)

Ingredients:
1/3 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cucumber
1/4 cup chopped peanuts or cashews

In a small pan, combine vinegar, sugar, water, and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring until the liquid boils and the sugar is dissolved; remove from heat and cool to room temperature.

Peel and slice the cucumber. Place in a bowl and pour the marinade over the cucumber slices; stir to blend. If made ahead, cover and refrigerate for up to 2 hours. Top with peanuts or cashews, if desired. Makes 4 to 6 servings.

abjcooking 08-02-2005 02:40 PM

Cucumber Spread

2 cucumbers, unpeeled and grated
1 small onion, grated
1 8oz. cream cheese
2 T. salad dressing (you can use mayo, but I prefer the dressing with this)
1/2 t. seasoned salt
1/4 t. lemon juice

Place cucumber and onion on paper towel and squeeze out all moisture. Beat cream cheese until smooth and stir in vegetables, salad dressing and salt. Add lemon juice.

Serve with fresh vegetables, crackers or hollow at a piece of bread, place dip in bread bowl and chop the bread you took out and serve with vegetables and crackers.