Replace my keyboard?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dove

DC Grandma
The number one wont work any more...I guess I'll have to replace it or say I was born in one933:wacko:

Is there a quick fix?

You can use the lowercase l for 1. That is what we used to do in typing class because our typewriters didn't have 1's or something. Or you could say you were born in 933!

MOVE EVERYONE, I HAVE TO MOVE FAST BEFORE MARGE CATCHES ME!!!

:) Barbara

Another thought--does your keyboard just have the 1 above the letters or do you have a set of number keys on the right side of the keyboard? I hardly ever think about them being there, so I thought maybe you have them and just didn't think of using the 1 there.

On my old keyboard, the letter "eth" went out on it, tho every time I wanted to type a word that containth the letter "eth", I would have to replace it with the letterth "th".
I know, it thoundth thilly, but you never really realize how many timeth you uthe the letter "eth" until thomthing like thith cometh up! :D

~ Raven ~

Try popping off the key that sticks (tweezers work well) and see if there is anything under there. Some of us have a bad habit if munching and drinking at the keyboard *whistles* and crumbs can make them stick. Use some rubbing alcohol on a qtip and clean up the keypress. Sometimes that'll fix you up good as new!

:heart:
Z

I've got a couple keyboards, a couple different mice, a trackball, spare modems, video cards, yadda yadda yadda, as I've gone through a couple computers. I always keep this kind of stuff, as you never know when you're going to need it. Cases in point, my keyboard got wet (darn kids) and wouldn't work. Now, we're using on of PeppA's keyboards. My current mouse (USB Microsoft 5-button Optical) is about to give up the ghost. I've currently got my trackball installed onto my pc.

What I need to do, since my keyboard has dried out (and I know it works), is to shut my system down, take off her keyboard, put mine on, and remove my mouse altogether and put the trackball on.

Dove, a few years ago, I spilled my Dr. Pepper onto my keyboard. After that, the 8 and 3 switched themselves! Silly enough, but one of my passwords had an "8" in it and it wouldn't let me log on!!!
Anyway, I bought a new one for around $10. The hardest part is finding one that "feels" the right way to your fingertips! Make sure you try each and every one out!

Barbara L...I hope you can run fast!! I'm on my way! Hey! that worked so my number 1 must...

1933----1933=====1933**** so there!!

jkath said:
Anyway, I bought a new one for around $10. The hardest part is finding one that "feels" the right way to your fingertips! Make sure you try each and every one out!

I hear ya there, jkath! I used to use a "split" keyboard. It cost me $20 plus shipping. It died on me a couple years ago. That particular model/brand isn't made anymore. I've been using the keyboard that came with this pc. However, it's a "straight", and I want a "split". The only "split" keyboards I've seen at local computer stores were all wireless, and cost about $60. I don't want wireless, as my kids would grab it and run, then promptly loose it.

I HATE split keyboards, and I'll bet most people who learned how to type with the "touch" method hate them too. Why? The number 6 is on the wrong side! "6" is a right-hand number, and they have it on the left (at least all the ones I have seen do). I absolutely could not use one for that reason alone. When I first saw them, I couldn't wait to try one, but as soon as I used one they lost their appeal.

I learned to touch-type on electric typewriters in highschool! And I absolutely feel gimped when I use a flat keyboard, I love love LOVE the split ones! My split keyboard died a few days ago and I plugged my spare flat one in and I'm still "searching" for the right keys instead of just reaching for them without a thought! I guess it's all about what we get comfortable with. =)

:heart:
Z

I use the numbers quite frequently, but never really noticed a big deal about using the number above the letters, or the 10-keypad. I can use both proficiently.

Speaking of keyboards, does anyone on this forum use a Dvorak keyboard, instead of the standard QWERTY keyboard most folks use? I've heard the Dvorak arrangement is much more eficient than the QWERTY arrangement.

Allen:

Is that the KB that has the characters arranged according to frequency of use? I've heard about them but never used one. I suppose you could become proficient on the Dvorak just as you have on the QWERTY.

With my finger speed, there has never been a danger of my outpacing the machine. I'm not limited by the arrangement of the letters.

Depending on how many numbers and symbols there are in what I am typing I think I generally type around 95 wpm (have timed at 113). My cousin is faster, my husband is slower, so I guess I'm somewhere in the middle. :mrgreen: I don't know if I could get used to the Dvorak type of keyboard, as I've been using good old QWERTY for about 30 years. I have heard that it is much faster when you get used to it. The reason they came up with the QWERTY arrangement in the first place was to keep people from typing so fast that they would jam the typewriter keys. I'll never forget moving from regular strike keys to the IBM ball. Now we don't have to worry about any of that. :cool:

Barbara L said:
The reason they came up with the QWERTY arrangement in the first place was to keep people from typing so fast that they would jam the typewriter keys.
What is a typewriter? :-p

GB said:
What is a typewriter? :-p
Don't you just love the blank stares from teenagers when you talk about typewriters, record players, sewing machines, and (in some cases) cooking that doesn't involve a can opener and microwave?

Andy M. said:
Allen:

Is that the KB that has the characters arranged according to frequency of use? I've heard about them but never used one. I suppose you could become proficient on the Dvorak just as you have on the QWERTY.

With my finger speed, there has never been a danger of my outpacing the machine. I'm not limited by the arrangement of the letters.

Yup! That's the one!

I've got to hand it to Barbara. I can only type about 40 - 45 wpm. I hit 50, once, back in high school.

I learned how to type on an electric typewriter / word processor. It was a really exotic looking electric typewriter that also had a small CRT for word processing. After that year, we switched over to DOS-powered computers and used WordPerfect 5.0.

I still have an electric typewriter. The really freaky thing, is that I can only type as fast as the print head types, but as soon as it auto-returns, while the print head shuttles back to the left side, my speed nearly doubles, until the print head starts typing again. I guess being in band for 7 years has me tuned in to the rhythm of the print head.

Back
Top Bottom