Help with Lemon Balm, Lemon Mint, and Purple Sage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef_Jen

Sous Chef
ok

So heres what ive got

Lemon Balm

Lemon Mint

Purple Sage

Those are the herbs ive got TONS of any suggestions for any of them?

And im very excited as my artichokes are fully bloomed and edible :):chef:

Oh, man, my artichokes look really wimpy - I'm jealous!

Lemon balm and lemon mint can both be used - of course to make teas; you can also use them to make wonderful sorbets. I've also used lemon balm in a chiffonade over baked fish - wonderful! And - ta da - take some lemon balm leaves and crush them in your hand - rub them around your forehead and the back of your neck; GREAT insect repellant!! Not so much for mosquitos, but the 'no see 'ums' and gnats.

I've not cooked with purple sage, but if has a similar taste to regular sage, I'd just use it in the same way. If you've got woody stems, they can be stripped and used as skewers for grilled things like chicken or seafood. Also makes an absolutely beautiful garnish!

I use lemon balm, lemon mint, and lemon verbena (when I have them, the balm comes back every year) in southeast Asian foods (stir fries, curries, soups, roll ups (great in Vietnamese rice paper summer rolls) or just left on the table for people to tear off for their own condiment) -- they work great where lemon grass usually goes, which of course I cannot grow here. They are also good in fruit salads. Like other herbs, they are great -- very soothing -- in a bath. You can either let them float free (somehow I like the look of the leaves floating) or you can put them in one of those mesh delicates laundry bags or anything like that, or bundle and tie with string. Very nice aroma. They also make good teas, but unfortunately, it is too darned hot to make hot tea when they are in season. But good in your favorite ice tea.

I use purple sage the same as regular sage. Almost any stock gets a branch of sage (I put a branch in, then remove it as soon as it has just the right flavor for me rather than trying to guess). Any poultry, fish, or pork dish that is more European in origins rather than Asian benefits from sage.

I'm jealous of your artichokes.

Chef_Jen said:
ok

So heres what ive got
Lemon Balm
Lemon Mint
Purple Sage
And im very excited as my artichokes are fully bloomed and edible :):chef:

Don't move a finger, Jen; I can be there in 24 hours...:LOL:

Do me a favour with the herbs.
Taste them.
Chiffonade them.
Add them to salads.
Boil some new potatoes and try them with butter and the herbs.
Stirfry a few shrimp and give them a roll.
Look carefully at the colours - you can do wonders by adding, for example, a purple sprout to a white dish...

Artichokes?
Save those long baby stalks! Carciofi alla Romana ( is that the right spelling?)...
Peel the baby chokes down to the heart. Peel the stalk very gently.Dump into iced lemon water.
Then, when you've done them all, place heart-down in a saucepan, with lid, barely cover the heart with water, add a tsp salt, EVOO, a sprig or 3 of fresh thyme, a soupçon of fresh oregano, a twirl of freshly ground black pepper. Bring to a simmer then lower the heat to MIN! and cook for about 10-12 minutes with the lid on.
Watch out for the liquid - don't let it dry out. Add a little more water if necessary. Any liquid left over can be added to EVOO and a little white wine vinegar to make the sauce which you will drizzle over the artichokes.

Decorated with purple sage, of course...

artichokes??

You guys are growing artichokes??????????? :shifty: jealous jealous jealous...

As for the lemon mint...that has got to be a great addition to Mojitos..

purple sage, all in my brain
lately things don't seem the same
actin' funny, but i don't know why
'scuse me while i eat this pie...

(with apologies to the master. hey, it's a foodie site. :chef: )

how's about making cripsly fried sage leaves as a garni.

or making compund butters with your herbs for various apps. like baking whole fish, or dressing raw or cooked shellfish (with chopped raw garlic and evoo, a la perseille), or making herby spuds and breads?

and don't forget to mix with risotto, or orzo, or polenta.

Last edited:
You have alot of the prime makings for some amazing tea...for real. Sweet or savory, you have a GREAT selection of brewable aromatics.

minus the artichokes, though I guess anything is possible!

Yes Thank you all.. and clive please come on over.. Ive been telling ppl to visit and take a tree or bush with them! soo much stuff..

We have 6 baking apple trees.. what one does with all those apples i dont know!

the word jealousy doesn't even begin to explain how I feel about your artichokes! You must be a fab gardener!

I grew lemon balm at my last home, and it certainly does take over! I liked to wrap a piece of chicken with a pat of butter in foil (sometimes with garlic salt) and a sprig of the balm. Bake @ 350 till done. You can also do the same on the grill, and can do it with fish I suppose (not a fishie here)
I loved to freeze the balm in ice cubes. How beautiful it made the lemonade look on a hot day!
As for the lemon mint, have you ever made a minted jelly?

I have used lemon balm leaves to rub round a salad bowl before putting in the salad. I've also used them as a chiffonade added to fruit salads,

Purple sage I use interchangeably with normal green sage.

Any of them would be good to use as a mop to put butter, olive oil or your own mixture on grilling meats.

The lemon balm and lemon mint both make great panna cottas. I also agree with Claire's usage for Southeast Asian foods, especially Thai and Vietnamese type dishes.

I'm not a big fan or user of sage in general, but I guess I would also use it in place of regular sage.

Oh Jen, time to have some fun!! You gotten so many wonderful ideas, I hope I'm not repeating anyone - I love Sage!!

someone did beat me to fried sage leaves for garnish.

I love making Butternut Squash, Goat Cheese and Sage Ravioli with Hazelnut Sage Butter, it's great used in breakfast sausages, also I add it to the top of my three cheese (Fontina, Gorgonzola & Parmigiano-Reggiano) pizza!!

I'll leave the others to others... :rolleyes:

Thank you evryone and thank you Jean

TODAY i made an oldie dish En pauipette (sp??)

In grease proof paper

Chicken Breast
Lemon balm
a dash of sage
Artichoke hears cut
butter

baked that in the oven had some rice with it it was TERRIFIC.

Back
Top Bottom