Panini grill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BCEagle

Assistant Cook
Hi all: I love panni and plan on getting a two sided grill. This forum is geat and I hope you can help me decide among the Wolfgang Puck, Forman, and Cusinart. I know its an appliane that will be ised only a couple of times a week (my wife talking) but cooking is not always logical.
P.S. I like my Showtime but tend not to use it because it's a pain to clean. It does cook as advertised, however.
Dick

I have a George Foreman Grill. It gets used about once a year, usually for sandwiches. They seem like panini to me. It's a little more versicle than a single-use appliance, and probably cheaper.

In any case, check Amazon, which usually has great prices, free shipping on purchases over $25, and no tax.

I have a Breville that is nice--can be adjusted to toast open face sandwiches. The Cuisinart Griddler is the most versatile--can be used for grilling, frying or toasting, and on another board gets high high marks. I just got one for $99 on amazon.

I'd recommend the George Foreman grill, b/c its multipurpose. That's only if you're set on purchasing a pannini grill though. If not,, my favorite method for making pannini is to heat 2 heavy pans, or 2 foil wrapped bricks and press the sandwich in between.

Thanks

Amazon.com and e-bay have become my first stop shopping. The Cusinart seems a good deal especially in comparison to Bed Bath and Beyond (I love the store to browse but they - being a speciality store - are pricy. Will still wait for someone to give me an evaluation on Puck's grill before buying, however.
Love this site - great to talk with fellow foodies.:chef:

I purchased the Puck grill a number of years ago for our kids. They like it but it is not as versatile as the Cuisinart by a long shot. there is a lesser model of Cuisinart that also looks pretty good.
If you have a Linens n' Things you can get the 20% off of the Cuisinart Griddler which turns out to be a good price. I rarely read ANYthing good about Foreman grills. The really important part of the panini part of a grill is a hinged lid that will stay flat on top of the sandwich--that is, not just a hinge in back but a "floating hinge".

Thanks Gretchen: Cuisinart it is! I'll let everyone know how it works out. I'll do either e-bay or Amazon as each has great deals.

I do it the old-fashioned way (like Grandma), a skillet and a plate.

I wouldn't recommend a George Forman grill. These grills seem to steam too much. I have a Krups panini grill that I love. It does a great job and the panini come out crisp, golden brown and scrumptious. You can get the same effect from a cast iron skillet and a clean brick wrapped in aluminum foil. Trust me on this. I spent $80 on panini grill and the only difference is that the grill gives me grill marks. Who the heck cares? Go for the skillet, it's much cheaper and works exactly the same way.

I use a two burner grill and a covered brick. I don't even heat the brick. I do side one and turn over the sandwich and do side two. Grill marks on both sides, everything melted and gooey on the inside.

The company I work for promotes the use of brick in building. I'm going to have to tell them about the wrapped brick for use in making a pannini ~ they will love it.

I've made them using 2 various forms and each method gives great results:

1. 2 cast iron skillets one on the stove upright....add sandwich and then place another cast iron skillet upside down on top of the sandwich.

2. Cast iron skillet and a brick thats been wrapped in aluminum foil.

I've opted not to purchase a p-grill because I don't want to take up cabinet space.

I had a Puck, but gave it away and got a Villaware model 2160. It has an adjustable temperature control and if I were to get another the only thing I would look for besides the adjustable temp would be removable plates for cleanup. I've cooked steaks, pork chops, chicken breasts and of course sandwiches on it.

I know Andy and the rest of you logical and creative chefs are right about getting a panni sandwich made right but I want to perform. I'll take my Cuisinart out from its honored place of storage, prepare the facachia style bread I just made by scooping out most of the interior bread, slathering it with homemade dressing, then carefully placing kraut, corned beef, and swiss cheese on the bottom piece of bread place. As my family watches in rapt attention I'll place it on the grill side on my shinning Cusinart and put the top piece of bread in place. I'll gently drop down the top of the griller on my sandwich and as the bread toasts give it a professional squeeeeeeeeze!
My wife and kids will cheer and I'll perform sandwich making well into the night.
Can't do that with a brick and two skillets practical as they may be.
Only another appliance freak can understand the obsession.

jpmcgrew said:
:) Your humble waffle maker will also do an adequate job
I inherited a wonderful waffle maker that came with two plates to insert for making grilled sandwiches... (that was back before someone gave them the name of "panini," which, in Italy, are not necessarily grilled but are always sandwiches. :)

ChefJune said:
I inherited a wonderful waffle maker that came with two plates to insert for making grilled sandwiches... (that was back before someone gave them the name of "panini," which, in Italy, are not necessarily grilled but are always sandwiches. :)

I have one of those also and they make great grilled sandwiches, but do not open enough for the big bread panini.

Back
Top Bottom