Favorite childhood food, different or strange

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barb L.

Master Chef
This thread is inspired by Goodweed of the north- I remember eating limburger on rye bread w/my Dad, onion sandwiches w/my uncle at a very young age. My brother and I fighting over the chicken heart w/Mom made fried chicken.

I remember tjat limburger cheese, my grandpa loved it and got loads of it at Christmas time. I never got past the smell of it.My favorite childhood food was pizza and spaghetti and meat balls.

I used to eat a mug of oatmeal. Not cooked, just oats out of the box. No wonder I was so healthy. I would stick my tongue into the cup and see how many oats would stick to it.

My word, that must have been dry...:LOL:

Half Baked said:
I used to eat a mug of oatmeal. Not cooked, just oats out of the box. No wonder I was so healthy. I would stick my tongue into the cup and see how many oats would stick to it.

My word, that must have been dry...:LOL:
That so funny, but yuck-O !:sick:

My mother worked full time and still managed to cook everything from scratch. She was totally adamant about no pre prepared meals and I was a lucky kid.

And then I went to a friend's house and discovered Smash instant mash potato and tomato ketchup and fish fingers. This became my favourite meal for years (I still occasionally long for fish fingers) but it was the smash that really did it. I loved it pre mixed and would steal the packet my father caved in and bought and eat the nuggets of dried potato. Or I would eat it mixed up with tomato ketchup stirred in it so it became orange marbled. Sometimes peas were added to this.
Then my mother decided enough was enough aand insisted we went back to home cooked mash. I remember the night I was crying for "real" mash and she was crying because I had gone over to the dark side despite her best efforts.

Its real, hommemade potato all the way for e nnowadays, but my mother buys hers already mashed now....funny and sad how things change.

When I was a kid, I would take my mashed potatoes and mix in my corn and then I would stir in some catsup. I have no idea were that came from. :rolleyes:

I remember my grandfather Pfohl eating Limburger cheese on hot summer days. Oh my goodness, it smelled so bad.:sick:

Last edited:
When I was a child, one of my favorite meals was grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup (made with milk not water). The sandwiches had to be made with Velveeta so they'd be nice and gooey when I bit into them. I still love grilled cheese and tomato soup. Yum!

mmmmmmmmmm.......I guess "different" would be for an evening snack, if there was leftover rice, we would have a bowl of rice, milk, and sugar. We ate our hot fruit turnovers in a bowl with ice cold milk poured over them.

I guess for a child eating sardines and smoked oysters on saltines would be strange or different - after swimming every Friday and Saturday my dad and I would come home and eat them.

Last edited:
When I was a child my favorite food was Oatmeal and milk, american cheese sandwiches, cooked tongue, pot roast, broiled chicken in a big pot with potatoes, carrots, and lots of other things that I can't remember. I also loved split pea soup.

Mom used to save up chicken innards in the freezer. When she had enough for an entire meal, she'd boil them, then boil noodles in the broth and toss in veggies. Us kids used to call it lizards and gizzards (it was, in reality, livers, gizzards, hearts and sometimes because they were so cheap, before Bufallo wings were invented, a bag of wings). My dad loved limburger and sardines as well, they were favorite snacks. I'm like some, couldn't get either past my nose.

I remember my mum making all of us eat oatmeal (sometimes I would flavour it with Ovaltine, a malt chocolate beverage) before going to school and drink ginseng tea to boost our immunity when we had too many late nights due to homework and studying.

I went through a 'vegetable soup and chips' phase, mainly because it was the latest 'cool' thing to hit my school.
I am talking over 30 years ago, sounds rather tame now doesn't it?

I loved liver and onions, as well as peanut butter, butter and brown sugar sandwiches. My mom and I would split the liver, gizzard and heart whenever we had a turkey dinner.

Grandma's homemade chocolate pudding still warm with just a small amount of cream dribbled on top. And stuffed cabbage also made by Grandma.

As long as we're reminiscing here and if you're like me (banned from eating most of it today) two things from childhood: #1homemade gravy over fresh bread #2 my dad's grilled hot dogs split down the middle, stuffed with cheddar cheese, and wrapped in bacon--OMG I'm drooling now with the memories

Back
Top Bottom