Is something going around?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dove

DC Grandma
:sick: Has anyone had what is going around out here?? I have had it since last Sat. I guess my immune system is down.

It starts out with a sore throat and then a deep deep cough and then my ears hurt. This is the fourth day of this. My neighbour had it for 3 weeks and then it came back.

No Marge (knock wood), everything is fine here.

img_352012_0_4bcc1ee71e27b475ce06b862ab1c1f94.gif

You bet!!! That's what I had this past week, and it happened exactly like yours. My brother is the one that brought it into the house, so he is victim #1. Steve, my DH, is victim #2, I'm victim #3, and Dad is victim #4. My brother got over it, mostly, he used mucinex. Steve has asthma and is on his second wind of it. Me? I still have it a little bit, but mostly just the cough (Oh, I sure hope it doesn't come back on me, I'm still weak from the first go round). Dad seems to have knocked it out, I hope. He's 84, it hit him too hard the first time, I sure hope it doesn't come back to him.

DOVE, GET WELL and kick this for good. Oh, the time before this time, that Steve got sick, the doctor had ordered Cedax (an antibiotic), and Steve wound up in the hosptial anyway. So I took about 3 days of the antibiotic, it did seem to help. So if you feel you need it, do see the doctor and get an antibiotic. Those deep coughs are the worst, I thought I was going to cough my lungs up. hehe

When I had one of the hanger-on coughs, I had to keep a bottle of water with me. Nothing else would quiet the cough. Eventually it subsided. Hope you are better shortly.

I'm drinking Nyquil with a straw. My throat and chest hurt so much from coughing and since I'm in the Nyquil stupor, my knees hurt from banging into furniture. :rolleyes:

Dove, it seems that you have got the cold which happens to a lot of people during winter. My advice is not to take antibiotic but to let it run its course. For starters, take Vitamin C tabs and drink plenty of green tea for your immune system. Avoid fried foods and include garlic and ginger as much as possible in your dishes.

Whenever DH or myself got the bug, I would prepare this special brew consisting of garlic, ginger, cinnamon stick with lemon juice and honey being added at the end and drink it many times daily. It worked wonders for us.

Half Baked said:
I'm drinking Nyquil with a straw. My throat and chest hurt so much from coughing and since I'm in the Nyquil stupor, my knees hurt from banging into furniture. :rolleyes:

I am still coughing a bit, but I was the lucky winner of a 5 day fever too. Stupid thing lasted for a month. Sounds like we all need to stop breathing on each other!

Get well soon guys, and remember to drink your chicken soup.

Boufa06's non-alcoholic toddy sounds good. I make a strong one with Scotch and honey, preferably Manuka since it is meant to be so healthy, and lemon juice. While the water boils I gently heat the lemon juice and whiskey so that the whole drink is hot, hot, hot. I am guessing I use a double measure of Scotch, or maybe even a triple. It clears the sinuses, kills any virus you are hoarding (maybe by alcohol poisoning, lol) and curls the hair on one's chest!

Take care Dove, and any one else who is feeling awful now.

We have something similar here, too. DH and I are fighting it so far, just feeling icky, but poor Sofie has a doozie of a cold, cough and fever. I really can't compain. This is the first time she's had a cold since she was 3 months old so she's been a pretty healthy baby so far (knock on wood!).

Marge, with what you've been through, it's understandable that your defenses are low. Make sure you rest and eat well. Everyone take care of themselves!:flowers:

Dove said:
:sick: Has anyone had what is going around out here?? I have had it since last Sat. I guess my immune system is down.

It starts out with a sore throat and then a deep deep cough and then my ears hurt. This is the fourth day of this. My neighbour had it for 3 weeks and then it came back.

I got sick enough to miss school about a month ago for the first time in 10 years.
I have a very strong immune system.
So this must be my sickness traveling over to you.
Cause honestly when I got sick, my whole school got school. Or at least the teachers and students in my classes.

Marge,
DH had it and it lasted through two rounds of anti-biotics, which finally kicked it. The cough hung on for a little over 3 weeks. If you get a fever please call you Doctor and see what he says. It's a nasty whatever and we need to be careful. The cough seems to makes you so weak all you want to do is sleep.

kadesma

Hope everyone is feeling better!

Its going around here too..........I only had the sore throat a few days.....I've had the cough going on 2 weeks now. Thankfully its getting better. At times it still sounds croupy though....much better than that deep annoying cough.

Marge, your immune system is down because of the trauma you have recently been through. That means you need to get plenty of sleep and take extra good care of yourself.
Here's my cure for colds and flu:

Luke's Healing Chicken Soup

Ingredients:
1 large chicken
or 5 lbs chicken leg quarters with thighs, skin on
1 large onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, diced
2-4 inner stalks celery with leaves, chopped
8-10 baby carrots or 2 chopped regular carrots
1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
salt & pepper
8 oz pasta or rice

Directions:
Cover chicken with water in a large pot. Add 1 tbl salt, onion, garlic
and celery.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmmer slowly until chicken is
falling off the bone. Remove chicken from pot, bone, skin and cut into
bite sized pieces. Return chicken to pot; taste and season broth. Add carrots, parsley, and noodles or rice.
Cook until all is tender.

Eat your soup from a mug, so you can inhale the soothing vapors.

*Note: If you use the sturdier, home-style egg noodles, they will hold up better in the soup.

NOthing going around here yet, knock on wood.
Get well soon Dove, Half Baked, Alix, and Pa.
Sorry if I missed anyone.

I have shared/am sharing some of the symptoms, but the doctor diagnosed me with "walking" pnoemonia(sp). I was ordered to rest(yet here I am at work?)...I am going on "rest" Friday, and not coming back till Wednesday. heck of a way to burn some vacation time I guess:(

I hope everyone feels better, and darned if those hot tody ideas aren't makin me want one(or5)!

Back
Top Bottom