Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Road Food (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f109/)
-   -   VA - Fairfax ... Whole Foods Market (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f109/va-fairfax-whole-foods-market-33372.html)

BreezyCooking 03-18-2007 09:34 PM

VA - Fairfax ... Whole Foods Market

Okay - yes I know this is a supermarket (but WHAT a market!), but they also have several in-house dining areas, including a sushi bar, raw seafood bar, etc., etc. We just visited here today for the first time, I couldn't help but think it was worth a brief review. I think even non-area foodies would enjoy reading about it.

Fairfax (Fair Lakes)

4501 Market Commons Dr
Fairfax, VA 22033
Phone: 703.222.2058

Where to start, where to start. Talk about a kid in a candy shop. Itís not like Iíve never been in high-scale markets or gourmet stores before, but this place truly blew me away.

Letís start with my favorite Ė the seafood department. OPEN cases of gorgeous bright-eyed, pink-gilled, glistening whole fish semi-buried in fresh crushed ice. Everything from 50-pound (I kid-you-not) grouper, to rockfish (striped bass to us northerners), to red snapper, to halibut, to the freshest whole bluefish & mackerel Iíve seen since I used to pull them out of the water myself. All can be cleaned & prepared to order, & they even have a chart available so you can order each fish the way you want it cut/cleaned. They even have a bin of scraps & fish heads for stock ($.99/lb.)!!!! Steamer clams, hard-shells, mussels, squid, & so many different already-cleaned & prepared fish, I couldnít even begin to list them all here. Letís just say itís a seafood-loverís paradise.

Meat & poultry? Iím getting faint Ė lol!! Everything you can think of Ė quail, duck, pheasant, every cut of organic chicken Ė fresh & frozen. And the sausages Ė oh, the sausages!!! I couldnít resist buying a pound of the turkey pesto sausages Ė they were calling to me. The meat case takes up a whole side of the store. If you canít find it here, it ainít available Ė lol!!

Produce? Letís see, I managed to restrain myself to a bunch of crisp Dino-kale (an heirloom Italian variety), & some samphire (also known as ďsea beanĒ Ė an extremely tasty salt-marsh plant). But there was so much to choose from, I could easily have filled the cart with veggies alone. Also in the produce department? An exotic egg case: whole raw in-the-shell Ostrich eggs, Emu eggs, Duck eggs, Aracauna eggs, Quail eggs, & Amish-raised free-range hens eggs. All for LOOSE purchase. Ostrich & Emu were $19.99 EACH!! The others ranged between 2 & 4 for $1.00. Outrageous to see, if not buy.

They also had a raw seafood/oyster bar; several salad bars; an Asian food bar; & more prepared food for sale then most restaurants Ė lol!! There were several eat-in luncheon counters.

The breads fresh from the oven smelled heavenly, & we picked up a package of fresh warm store-made tortillas, as well as some cheese (the cheese counter is a huge horseshoe-shaped affair (again, if you canít find it here Ė forget it, lol) & some lovely artisinal turkey salami.

Iíll definitely be back to this particular Whole Foods. Itís about an hourís drive from me if I go during off-peak traffic hours, but even with gas prices, itís worth it.

Katie H 03-18-2007 09:44 PM

Breezy, Martha Stewart has been showcasing Whole Foods on her program the last couple of weeks.

I was astounded at the array of produce available in this market.

She went to one of the New York City locations and, at the produce department, there were about 400+ fruits and vegetables for sale. When she got to the mushroom section, I was in love.

I would love to have a market with only a small percentage of what Whole Foods offers but, alas, that's not MY real world. In the meantime, I'll watch from afar.

TATTRAT 03-18-2007 09:48 PM

Great store! I love to visit Mrs.TATT, she lives in Fairfax, and that is THE store to shop at!

BreezyCooking 03-18-2007 10:00 PM

Oh - the mushrooms!!!! How could I have forgotten about those!!! Let's see if I can remember at least some of the offerings - all FRESH (nothing slimy or old). Several different sizes of white buttons, hen-of-the-woods, bluefoots, oysters, & - the piece-de-resistance - outrageously fresh & gorgeous Pom-Poms!!! I was SO tempted, but they were SO expensive. Perhaps sometime when I don't have the husband in tow - lol!!!!!

They also had an entire aisle devoted to nothing but different olive oils.

I'm sure I'll remember more later on. I really was dizzy with it all, & like I said, growing up in NY & working in Manhattan, it's not like this is the 1st time I've been in a gourmet store, but this place definitely went above & beyond.

I have a feeling my husband will be very sorry that it's only an hour's drive. He even made the cardinal mistake of telling me it wouldn't bother him if I shopped there on my own. (What a foolish boy - lol!!!)

JohnL 03-18-2007 10:18 PM

Don't worry about it Breeze,
I'm sure your hubby will be happy with the results of your shopping spree:lol:

BreezyCooking 03-18-2007 10:29 PM

I don't know John. He seemed to definitely take note of things I was "thinking" of buying but thought better of because he was along - lol!!!!

JohnL 03-18-2007 10:52 PM

Well Breeze,
You're a lucky women. I'm definetly an enabler. If I found someone with my tastes in odd, different or exotic foods, we'd both be in deep financial trouble:rolleyes:

BreezyCooking 03-18-2007 11:02 PM

LOL!!!! He definitely likes eating it (although sometimes if he doesn't know ahead of time what it is - lol!!) - he just doesn't like watching me buy it - lol!!!!!

JoAnn L. 03-18-2007 11:44 PM

Next month I am going up to visit my son and his family in Madison, Wis. and they have both a Whole Foods and a Penzeys Spice. I can't wait.:smile:

TATTRAT 03-18-2007 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnL
Well Breeze,
You're a lucky women. I'm definetly an enabler. If I found someone with my tastes in odd, different or exotic foods, we'd both be in deep FRIED financial trouble:rolleyes:

fixed:smile: