Are we going to still be able to get Kosher Salt?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ncage1974

Senior Cook
Ok i was at walmart today and i was running low on kosher salt so i was going to pick it up. For the first time that i can remember i didn't see any but luckily the lady that stocks the spices was close by. I asked her if they had some kosher salt. She said walmart is not going to stock it anymore. I said why in the world not. She said because it is used in the manufactorer of methamphetamine. OK i hope this lady was full of it but why would she tell me she was told to pull it from the shelf then? Maybe this is only my state: Illinois? Right now when you go to buy cold medicine a lot of times you will have to go the the pharmacy counter now because they want to log that your buying it because of the meth problem they are having but come on SALT?!?!?! Why don't we just make water illegal why we are at it. Shouldn't the precautions they took with the cold medicine be enough? I mean im sure the drug guys are going to be smart enough to get kosher salt even if the stores dont' carry it.

This is just plain stupid and, if its true, it probably has something to do with our BAD govoner. I don't know about you all but i almost use kosher salt exclusively. I think regular table salt has a metalic taste compared to kosher. Kosher also help in the browning of meats. Its also very cheap. So what did i do? I bought some regular table salt for when it doesn't matter like salting water for pasta. I bought some course sea salt which is very expensive comparitbably speaking. I sure in the heck hope im not going to have to order kosher salt now.

Any insight would be apprecaited.

thanks,
ncage

Last edited:
I have a feeling that person at Walmart did not have her facts straight.

auntdot said:
I have a feeling that person at Walmart did not have her facts straight.

I sure hope your right dot. It just struck my as wierd that she said "she was told to pull it from the shelf". If i order a lot of kosher salt i guess the DEA is going to be at my door...haha.

Ncage

This is a bit ugly, but maybe the reason they don't stock it anymore is because it doesn't come from China.:LOL:

I saw some a week or so ago at my local Wally-World. I'll have to check to see if they still have it.

Personally, I use Canning and Pickling salt. Same thing as Kosher (pure salt, no additives), just a smaller grain.

I know what you mean about Wally-World wanting approval for the weirdest things now. I bought a can of WD-40 a few weeks ago, and had to get cashier approval for the sale. A small can. I'm 34. What gives? Tonight, a guy in the line next to mine had to wait to get cashier approval on what I think was a video game. What the????

All supermarkets carry kosher salt. You should have gone somewhere else. I don't know where the clerk got her information from, but no one else seems to know about it. Look around, you'll find it and if you're really concerned buy 3 or 4 boxes to hold you for a long time.

I can't imagine the Chicago board of Rabbis allowing kosher salt to be pulled from shelves without one heck of a fight. And I can't imagine aunt Mazie going to sign the drug log at the pharmacy counter to get her arm and hammer for her muffins and to keep the fridge fresh!

But you know back in 1890, cocaine was legal and bleach was sold behind the pharmacist's counter.

DramaQueen said:
All supermarkets carry kosher salt. You should have gone somewhere else. I don't know where the clerk got her information from, but no one else seems to know about it. Look around, you'll find it and if you're really concerned buy 3 or 4 boxes to hold you for a long time.

Yeah, that's what I just said. He or she wll stand a much more better shot lookng in the some of the supermarkets.

That is the easiest place to find it!

Last edited:
I use Kosher Salt all the time, I prefer it to table salt. I will put a few extra boxes in the pantry, just in case. Next we'll be getting carded to purchase feminine protection...

Yeesh... shopping at Walmart for groceries? No offence, but don't they have normal grocery stores where you live? I know it's cheap, but do you really want to put Walmart quality food into your body?

Sorry, I just have a prejudice against Walmart. I might buy toilet paper and some other cheap junk there, but I can't imagine buying food from them... Surely you have discount grocery chains like Price Chopper or No Frills?

AllenOK said:
I saw some a week or so ago at my local Wally-World. I'll have to check to see if they still have it.

Personally, I use Canning and Pickling salt. Same thing as Kosher (pure salt, no additives), just a smaller grain.

Actually the canning/pickling salt has the least amount of aditives, so it is even cleaner than kosher one.

CharlieD said:
Actually the canning/pickling salt has the least amount of aditives, so it is even cleaner than kosher one.

My box of kosher salt lists one ingredient - Salt. I don't think any other kind of salt can have fewer additives than that. Canning/pickling salt is a finer grind than kosher salt so it dissolves more easily. Other than that, it's the same salt.

Back
Top Bottom