Magnetic knife holder for fridge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

My Cuppa Tea

Assistant Cook
I would like to use a magnetic knife holder instead of a block. However, I need one that is magnetic on both sides so I can place it on the refrigerator. Do these exist? I'm having trouble finding one.

Thanks!

I've never seen one like you describe. Most are one-side magnet that attach to a solid surface with screws. Sharp knives "hanging" on the refrigerator my pose a health hazard!

I've never seen one like you describe. Most are one-side magnet that attach to a solid surface with screws. Sharp knives "hanging" on the refrigerator my pose a health hazard!

Only to your toes!

I will have to agree with UB here - hanging knives on a refrigerator door, or ANY moving door, is very dangerous - especially if you have children or animals - oh, and feet :ermm:

Only to your toes!

I will have to agree with UB here - hanging knives on a refrigerator door, or ANY moving door, is very dangerous - especially if you have children or animals - oh, and feet :ermm:

Well, it would not be mounted to the refrigerator door, it would be mounted to the side of the frig which is next to the stove. The knives would not be hanging over the floor, just over the counter. And I was hoping to find one with a strong enough magnet on the back to hold very firmly to the frig.

Surely this must exist somewhere!

I've always used a block. However, I do have two magnetic ones that I use in my drapery workshop for scissors and assorted tools. The magnetics are quite strong, but things can, and do, fall off.

I'd nix getting a magnetic knife holder if you have children or pets. Kitchenelf raised a good point.

Well, it would not be mounted to the refrigerator door, it would be mounted to the side of the frig which is next to the stove. The knives would not be hanging over the floor, just over the counter. And I was hoping to find one with a strong enough magnet on the back to hold very firmly to the frig.

Surely this must exist somewhere!

Cuppa - you might try finding the manufacturer and giving them a call. I see how you want to use it now. What kinds of insulation/material would you be drilling through to mount this to your fridge? Would you be harming your fridge in any way?

I've always used a block. However, I do have two magnetic ones that I use in my drapery workshop for scissors and assorted tools. The magnetics are quite strong, but things can, and do, fall off.

I'd nix getting a magnetic knife holder if you have children or pets. Kitchenelf raised a good point.

I sincerely appreciate all of your concern for our safety, really! However, we have no pets, our children are teenagers, and I was just hoping someone would know where to find what I'm looking for. Lots of people, from professional chefs down to home cooks like me, use magnetic knife strips. They are generally considered safe.

All I need to know is if someone knows where to find one that works for the frig. I promise to not hold that person liable if said knife holder causes death or dismemberment! :)

Cuppa - you might try finding the manufacturer and giving them a call. I see how you want to use it now. What kinds of insulation/material would you be drilling through to mount this to your fridge? Would you be harming your fridge in any way?

We would not be drilling into the frig. I'm hoping to find one with magnets on the back to just stick to the frig. Hopefully really strong magnets that can hold the weight of the knives without slipping.

Thanks for your help.

I haven't seen a two sided magnetic one. I was given a regular one a few years ago and love it. It's mounted on the back splash, no mishaps yet.

Superglue a couple of very strong magnets on to the back side of a standard magnetic knife strip. Or, you could use suction cups instead of magnets.

Just buy yourself a very strong long magnet. The magnetic holders I have seen have always only been one sided, but there is no reason you couldn't use just a magnet on its own. Just make sure it is strong enough to securely hold the knives.

You can buy strips of magnetic material (it's a flexible strip about /34" wide) and glue one or two strips to the back of the knife holder.

I have a double sided one for my mechanics tools. I use one on each side of my rolling toolbox. Looks to be the same as this. However, this WILL slide or fall off of the fridge at some point. So if you don't care about your toes, do you care about your knives?

If your stubborn like me, I would run two small 1/2" sheet metal screws into the side of the fridge. All the mechanics are either on the bottom or in the back of the fridge so I can't see any harm in that.

Last edited:
I'd be very cautious about using flexible magnets to mount anything, especially anything holding anything sharp. They tend to not be very strong (as compared to some other magnetic materials). Even with the strongest magnets though, as Jeekinz said, sliding WILL occur (unless the magnets are so strong that they won't slide... but then you won't be able to get your knives off either).

You could make your own rack... I would suggest using Neodymium magnets instead of anything you might find in a hardware store or salvage from something else to do it though... They're strong stuff, and one of these little buggers goes a long way.

United Nuclear - Neodymium magnets

What you could do is get some the 1/4" x 1/4" long Rod magnets. Get three sheets of 1/4" thick plywood about 10-12" long and 1" high. Drill some 1/4" holes in one of them. (two holes vertically, 12 holes horizontally, along the center of the board. which equates to a hole every inch or so along the length). Fasten this holed board to one of the other sheets. Fill the holes with magnets. Fasten the other board to the other two so the magnets don't fall out. Affix the board strip under a cabinet or to a wall (you might need to use additional spacing for wall clearance, just add wood to the back).

You could add whatever you want to prevent your knives from hitting the wood if you'd prefer... Some veneer or something.

:)Do you really afto put them on the fridge or is there another place you could put them?I put mine on both cabinet sides by the sink.I bought the magnetic tool ones they are usaually cheaper and stronger.As they were too long to put on straight across I put them on at a slant and they are working great.

Suction cups? That's about as bad of an idea as I can think of.

Really, I'd just find some wallspace. I have a small apartment kitchen and ended up with my block being mounted in the adjacent dining area above my hutch/bar. It's a little out of the way, but I'd much prefer that to a location that might be a little dangerous.

Cuppa of Tea, What if you just take two regular magnets and either screw or glue them together. And then use them on your fridge. I've never seen or even heard of a double sided magnet before. Putting two together makes it a bit more expensive, but you will get wha you want. Good luck.

Thanks, everyone. I think what we'll do is forget the whole fridge thing and go with putting the knives on their backs in the knife block instead of the usual way. We just bought some new Shuns and didn't want to mess them up. I was not thrilled about sliding them into the knife block.

We don't want to put a magnetic strip on the wall because we're renting our friends' home right now. So we've been using the block and it's fine for now.

Thanks for taking the time to try and help us figure something out. (Thanks Vapor for being as detailed as you were. You all had great ideas!)

Suction cups? That's about as bad of an idea as I can think of.

Why is that? I have several items that attach to my refrigerator with suction cups, and they stay put regardless of the amount of weight. In fact, they're better than magnets because suction cups will not slide down the side of the fridge.

Come to think of it, my radar detector, which weighs about 5 pounds, sticks to my windshield with suction cups, and it don't move until I decide to move it.

Back
Top Bottom