Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums

Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/)
-   Knives (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f90/)
-   -   Magnetic knife holder for fridge? (http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f90/magnetic-knife-holder-for-fridge-40239.html)

My Cuppa Tea 11-21-2007 12:16 PM

Magnetic knife holder for fridge?

I would like to use a magnetic knife holder instead of a block. However, I need one that is magnetic on both sides so I can place it on the refrigerator. Do these exist? I'm having trouble finding one.

Thanks!

Uncle Bob 11-21-2007 12:51 PM

I've never seen one like you describe. Most are one-side magnet that attach to a solid surface with screws. Sharp knives "hanging" on the refrigerator my pose a health hazard!

kitchenelf 11-21-2007 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Bob (Post 511002)
I've never seen one like you describe. Most are one-side magnet that attach to a solid surface with screws. Sharp knives "hanging" on the refrigerator my pose a health hazard!

Only to your toes!

I will have to agree with UB here - hanging knives on a refrigerator door, or ANY moving door, is very dangerous - especially if you have children or animals - oh, and feet :ermm:

My Cuppa Tea 11-21-2007 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitchenelf (Post 511006)
Only to your toes!

I will have to agree with UB here - hanging knives on a refrigerator door, or ANY moving door, is very dangerous - especially if you have children or animals - oh, and feet :ermm:

Well, it would not be mounted to the refrigerator door, it would be mounted to the side of the frig which is next to the stove. The knives would not be hanging over the floor, just over the counter. And I was hoping to find one with a strong enough magnet on the back to hold very firmly to the frig.

Surely this must exist somewhere!

Katie H 11-21-2007 01:02 PM

I've always used a block. However, I do have two magnetic ones that I use in my drapery workshop for scissors and assorted tools. The magnetics are quite strong, but things can, and do, fall off.

I'd nix getting a magnetic knife holder if you have children or pets. Kitchenelf raised a good point.

kitchenelf 11-21-2007 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by My Cuppa Tea (Post 511008)
Well, it would not be mounted to the refrigerator door, it would be mounted to the side of the frig which is next to the stove. The knives would not be hanging over the floor, just over the counter. And I was hoping to find one with a strong enough magnet on the back to hold very firmly to the frig.

Surely this must exist somewhere!

Cuppa - you might try finding the manufacturer and giving them a call. I see how you want to use it now. What kinds of insulation/material would you be drilling through to mount this to your fridge? Would you be harming your fridge in any way?

My Cuppa Tea 11-21-2007 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katie E (Post 511009)
I've always used a block. However, I do have two magnetic ones that I use in my drapery workshop for scissors and assorted tools. The magnetics are quite strong, but things can, and do, fall off.

I'd nix getting a magnetic knife holder if you have children or pets. Kitchenelf raised a good point.

I sincerely appreciate all of your concern for our safety, really! However, we have no pets, our children are teenagers, and I was just hoping someone would know where to find what I'm looking for. Lots of people, from professional chefs down to home cooks like me, use magnetic knife strips. They are generally considered safe.

All I need to know is if someone knows where to find one that works for the frig. I promise to not hold that person liable if said knife holder causes death or dismemberment! :smile:

My Cuppa Tea 11-21-2007 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitchenelf (Post 511010)
Cuppa - you might try finding the manufacturer and giving them a call. I see how you want to use it now. What kinds of insulation/material would you be drilling through to mount this to your fridge? Would you be harming your fridge in any way?

We would not be drilling into the frig. I'm hoping to find one with magnets on the back to just stick to the frig. Hopefully really strong magnets that can hold the weight of the knives without slipping.

Thanks for your help.

Loprraine 11-21-2007 01:37 PM

I haven't seen a two sided magnetic one. I was given a regular one a few years ago and love it. It's mounted on the back splash, no mishaps yet.

Caine 11-21-2007 01:42 PM

Superglue a couple of very strong magnets on to the back side of a standard magnetic knife strip. Or, you could use suction cups instead of magnets.