Red onion, pesto, parsley, 5 mushrooms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

corazon

Executive Chef
Native New Mexican, now live in Bellingham, WA
I'm cleaning out the fridge and would like to use all of these items (in a meal for 2) before they go bad.
Theres not a lot of pesto, probably a couple tablespoons.
I'm also going grocery shopping today and can pick up more food for fillers.
Thanks everyone!

Mmmm. Looks like the beginning of a great pasta dish corazon. Got any chicken breast you can add in there? I'd add a pepper (red or yellow) and maybe some snow peas, toss the onion, mushroom and peppers in a skillet then add in the pesto, maybe a blob of cream cheese and then toss in the pasta to get coated with all the numminess.

hmmm, mushroom, red onion, parsley, and goat cheese stuffed baked chicken breasts, topped with a little pesto?

Hey, if you do that, thin it with a little cream or milk or something as needed. I think that would be killer good.

Oooooo...I like Buckytoms idea too.

yes, i'd sautee them a bit first, cora. just a few seconds, to help them be cooked at the same time the chicken is done.

cream cheese Alix? I haven't heard of combining that with pesto before.

I also have some alfredo sauce but I'm unsure whether it's still okay to eat or not.

BT, saute the onion and mushrooms first? That sounds good too!

Yep, a bit of cream with pesto is killer good. I suggested cream cheese because it coats the pasta a bit better, any cream will do though. Just need a wee bit.

Pizza, Pizza. If you only have a little pesto, make a half-n-half Pizza. Spread the pesto on one half of the dough, & alfredo on the other half. Top w sliced mushrooms, sliced/chopped onions, shredded mozzarella, & sliced tomatoes. Add in whatever you like, i.e. pine nuts, sliced black olives, asparagus, peppers, cooked chicken breast, prosciutto.

yum. Pizza sounds good too. I've never put alfredo on a pizza before but I love eating white pizzas! Now I'm gonna have to buy more onions and mushrooms! :LOL:
How can I tell if my alfredo is still good? Does it get mold on it or just smell bad?

yum. Pizza sounds good too. I've never put alfredo on a pizza before but I love eating white pizzas! Now I'm gonna have to buy more onions and mushrooms! :LOL:
How can I tell if my alfredo is still good? Does it get mold on it or just smell bad?

I think I may go buy some myself ;).

I sometimes add a little pesto to my white clam sauce (w linguine). Or as a sauce for ravioli & toasted pine nuts & fresh Parm. If Alfredo is still good to go - use the sauce for the other half of the ravioli. Or - A big juicey burger topped w mushrooms, onion, tomato & cheese. Smear the Pesto on the buns. Or Pesto/pine nut/crumb/cheese stuffed tomatoes as a side i.e.
Pesto-Stuffed Tomatoes

I'd smell it & taste it. (I live on the edge :LOL:.)

Last edited:
Or you could make a fritata, saute the mushrooms and onion, add your eggs and the pesto a little parm if you have it put in the oven and bake til the eggs set..this will take any little things you have like some parsley, any left over veggies and the top loves a sprinkle of buttered bread crumbs..cool, cut in squares great finger food:)
kadesma

red onion, etc

In Alix's defense...a little bit of cream cheese is very good in pasta dishes. It is good to put a little dab in mashed potato dishes too.
Happy kitchen
realistic cook

How do you fancy a two course meal? Start with mushroom bruschetta using the onion, mushrooms and parsley, all sauted together with some cream and a drop of sherry. Then for second course, pesto prawns (lobster is also good) in lettuce cups, or for something more substantial chicken breasts stuffed with brie and topped with pesto, with veges or salad on the side. As another alternate second course, your choice of protein served with veges in pesto aioli (your choice of veges - another good fridge cleaner - all cooked and while hot, mix through aoili and pesto and serve warm/hot).

Sounds incredible! Just how would you go about making this?

You probably won't make the parsley foam, but if you do, you'll need to blanch about 3 cups of parsley sprigs, shock them in iced water, then squeeze out as much of the water as possible. From there you'll need to puree it until smooth and the chlorophyll is released, without letting the puree get too hot or else the color will turn black. Immediately chill the puree so that it will retain it's color. Meanwhile, heat 1.5 cups of chicken stock along with 2 Tbsp. of unsalted butter and 1 tsp. lecithin. Remove from the heat and stir in enough of the puree until it turns a bright green color. Foam using an immersion blender and season to taste with salt.

For the rest of the dish:

Roasted Mushrooms (you'll need a lot more than five. This is good with a mixture of different fresh kinds): Pre-heat oven to 400. Quarter the mushrooms, and toss with EVOO, chopped fresh thyme, thinly sliced garlic, salt, and fresh cracked pepper. Lay them evenly on a baking sheet pan (lined with a silpat if you have it) and roast in the oven until tender and a light golden brown. Remove and re-season if needed.

Caramelized Onion Jam: Saute about 4 cups of diced onion on medium heat until they are caramelized and very soft. Deglaze with a little balsamic vinegar, and add about 2 Tbsp. unsalted butter. Season to taste with kosher salt, and season generously with fresh cracked black pepper. The texture should resemble a compote or jam-like consistency.

Pesto Crusted Salmon: Heat oil in a saute pan until smoking. Season both sides of the salmon with salt and pepper, and sear until golden brown on both sides. Remove from the pan and finish cooking in the 400 degree oven until medium doneness, about 4-6 minutes. Remove the salmon and evenly spread the pesto on each piece. Serve with the roasted mushrooms, onion jam, and parsley foam.

Or you could make a fritata, saute the mushrooms and onion, add your eggs and the pesto a little parm if you have it put in the oven and bake til the eggs set..this will take any little things you have like some parsley, any left over veggies and the top loves a sprinkle of buttered bread crumbs..cool, cut in squares great finger food:)
kadesma
oh yes frittata!

Back
Top Bottom