Mint!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PanchoHambre

Washing Up
I have tons I just cleared out from a bed it was invading... One can olny drink so many mojitos and juleps:LOL:

Ideas.... storage tips... I dont have time for any adventurous cooking coming up

Thanks in advance

I love to stick sprigs of mint into glasses of iced tea and lemonade, especially in summer. It's also great in fruit salads. Or make some middle eastern cold salads with tomatoes, onions, etc.-- a lot of them call for mint.

I also like to chew on a leaf whenever I want natural fresh breath! :)

You could also make a deconstructed Thai spring roll salad - romaine topped with cooked shrimp or chicken, rice noodles, shredded carrots and cucumbers, mint and commercial or homemade soy-ginger dressing.

Greek tzatziki sauce calls for some mint; I posted a recipe here somewhere.

You can also preserve it like any other herb - puree in water in the blender, put the puree in ice cube trays and freeze, then keep the cubes in a plastic freezer bag. Add to summer chilled fruit soup or use when making tea or other summer drinks. HTH.

Southeast Asian, Indian, North African and Middle Eastern -inspired salads. Good in rice, taboule, and pasta salads or even tossed green salads. Good in fruit salads.

Mint tea. Stuff a lot of it in a tea pot, pour boiling water over it. Let steep for a few minutes, pull out the branches (no need to take the leaves off of the stems for this one, in my experience), then sugar or honey to taste.

Serve with almost any lamb dish.

I like to take a bud vase and fill it with mint, then put it on the table for people to add, last minute, Asian soup and noodle dishes (it looks prettiest and tastes brightest when added to hot dishes right at the end).

No such thing as enough mint -- you either don't have enough or you are battling it to keep it from devouring your entire garden (yes, this year it is going into containers into the ground!)

I use it as well to make salad dressings. I take a little pot and infuse balsamic vinegar and honey, with the mint...Tastes very nice.

No such thing as enough mint -- you either don't have enough or you are battling it to keep it from devouring your entire garden (yes, this year it is going into containers into the ground!)

Mine doesn't get anywhere near the ground. There's some in a strawberry jar on the patio, and some in a planter box on the porch. I had a baaaaaad experience once with too much mint.

lots of great ideas yall keep em coming! I dont think there will be any mint shortage this summer. I cleared the current crop out of an neglected bed I am going to start cultivating in a community garden. It really is invasive stuff it was all up in the rosemary and sorrell. There is still a decent amount there too and I potted some up for my container garden so it is going to be a minty summer - hopefully other herbs too!

To dry mint, lay sprigs of mint between two paper towels and microwave on high for 3 to 4 minutes or until dry. You can also dry mint by tying several bunches together and hanging upside down in a warm, dry place. It is also possible to freeze mint by placing it in ziplock bags and putting in the freezer.

You can chop it up and toss it with sliced oranges in summer, spiked with a splash of Cointreau or Grand Marnier. Its leaves give salads an unexpected fresh flavor, and it's brilliant in beverages, from juleps and mojitos to strong, sweet tea, either hot or cold. You can combine it with lemon verbena and honey for an aromatic summer cooler. And it is a proven tummy tonic, very soothing for indigestion.

- Spice Up Your Vegetables: Put mint in water used to steam vegetables.
- Mint tea: To make peppermint tea, use 1 to 2 teaspoons of dried peppermint leaves per cup of boiling water. Steep for 10 minutes.
- Minty potatoes: Mix chopped mint with butter for boiled new potatoes (or with parsley or dill).
- Minty rice: Toss whole mint leaves in cooked rice before serving.
- Mint Ice Cubes: Freeze whole mint leaves in ice cubes for tea or lemonade.
- Minty Salad Dressing: Make salad dressing with mint, lemon juice, vinegar and a light oil.
- Spice up your tuna: Chop spearmint and mix with olive oil and use as a marinade for fresh tuna. Marinate 30 minutes, grill
- Scrambled eggs and omelets, for a change of pace flavor, or to egg substitutes to enhance the flavor. Add the mint at the end of cooking of scrambled eggs or omelets. Too much heat will turn the mint bitter. Fresh mint leaves are good in salads.

Mint jelly!
Mint simple syrup(to put over ice cream)(add vodka and you would have a something similar to Creme de Menthe)

Mint pesto for lamb, etc.

dry the leaves, use as potpourri

Mint tea

if you have a dog or cat, put some in their food to freshen their breath...

Back
Top Bottom