MA - Cape Cod?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PeterAtwood

Assistant Cook
We're thinking of taking a two day mid week getaway to the Cape pretty soon. It will be too cold to swim since it's kind of early in the season but we figure the beaches at the National Seashore will be gorgeous and not very crowded.

In the past, the restaurants we've visited have been a little hit or miss so I thought I'd put out some feelers and see if anyone can recommend the best places to check out for lunch and dinner. We'll be in Orleans area but are willing to drive all the way out to Ptown if necessary for some really good chow. ;)

I do not have actual restaurant names to suggest, but I do have a suggestion. I have found that there is an inverse correlation between how ugly and run down the clam shacks look to how good the food is. Look for the most run down trashiest places to get your lobster dinner, clam rolls, fried fish, etc.

It has been years since I was in Orleans, but it is a beautiful area. Have a great time!

I don't know anything about the Orleans area, but I know a lot of spots in the center of P'town.

Front St. (the name of the restaurant) is probably the finest dining. EXCELLENT tea-smoked duck.

Napi's is my favorite place. I love the decor, the burgers, and the sake-tinis! They have a lovely menu.

Vorelli's DOES have the "Best Bloody Mary in the World", as advertised. But I've not been impressed with the food there.

The Post Office Cafe has some of the best burgers and breakfasts in town.

Just outside of town, on Shank Painter Road, beyond the A & P, is Clem & Ursies, which is a fun place to get lunch. Excellent selection of seafood and sandwiches. During the summer (I don't know about Spring), they have happy hour where clams and oysters on the half shell and jumbo shrimp are $1.00 each.

Have fun!

Lee

If you want a spectacular view of the ocean, and a great place to enjoy a nice raw bar by the ocean, try The BeachComber of Wellfleet, Cape Cod.

Years ago, ex-hubby and I went up to try to rekindle (It didn't work, but). It was Eastertime and freezing. After walking around the dunes forever, we were chilled to the bone. We stopped by a place called The Red Inn. It was late afternoon, we were the only ones there. They lit a fire in the fireplace for us and we had the BEST afternoon tea and food to go with it I have ever had.
The place looks like a small colonial house and is decorated that way.
I know they served dinner, but don't know if they have lunch. Nor do I know if they're still there. AAA would have a list.

Have fun. I'm jealous. I love it there.

Hyannis

Can't tell you about Ptown or others. There is a seafood restuarant on the water in Hyannis (go figure!) almost where you can pick up a ferry (touring I think). Sorry can't tell you the name.

My first experience w/ broiled Halibut, w/ a slight dusting of cheese & bread crumbs. :chef: It was a filet, but I've been in love w/ the fish ever since. ;)

Years ago, ex-hubby and I went up to try to rekindle (It didn't work, but). It was Eastertime and freezing. After walking around the dunes forever, we were chilled to the bone. We stopped by a place called The Red Inn. It was late afternoon, we were the only ones there. They lit a fire in the fireplace for us and we had the BEST afternoon tea and food to go with it I have ever had.
The place looks like a small colonial house and is decorated that way.
I know they served dinner, but don't know if they have lunch. Nor do I know if they're still there. AAA would have a list.

Have fun. I'm jealous. I love it there.
Years ago, DH and I spent our honeymoon there! I just adored it, even though we were like the oly ones around at that time in April! We ate at a real nice Restaurant, called the "Danial Webster Inn" I can remember that cause it was the first time I had seen a little vacuum cleaner to pick up the crumbs on the table! I laughed and my husband was mortified! We stayed in a little place in Sandwich. I remember DH took a ride at night to get some pizza, and came back with some crazy fish sauce pizza from a hole in the wall bar! Never forget it! it was also so funny when at around 6:00 am, there was a knock on the motel door, and here was the owner with two stale plain donuts, and two cups of instant coffee, in two old melmac plastic mugs!

Sandwich

In-laws live in Sandwich. Was there at Christmas. They love Captain Scott's.

Consider taking a day trip to Marthas Vineyard. Theres a place in Edgartown called Mad Marthas, and has great ice cream. Theres also a place nearby called Murdicks Fudge, and that is pretty good too.

Back
Top Bottom