Squid Ink Pasta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sattie

Washing Up
I picked up a package of squid ink noodles at World Market the other day. Now I am just sitting here looking at them wondering what the heck to do with them. Anybody have any suggestions for me???

be careful not to overdue anything with a strong fishy flavor when adding to ink pastas. if done well, the pasta should have a subtle fishy flavor that shouldn't be heaped upon, nor covered up.

i've had it primavera style, with lots of julienned veggies, evoo, and shaved romano. also, it's often served as a side pasta, since it's dramatic looking and specially flavored. great with mildly flavored grilled fishes, and garlic sauteed baby veggies on a color contrasting plate.

I picked up a package of squid ink noodles at World Market the other day. Now I am just sitting here looking at them wondering what the heck to do with them. Anybody have any suggestions for me???

You can use them as you would regular noodles. Try googling "squid ink pasta recipes" and see what you get. As for myself, I was served these as a side dish in a restaurant, (shame on me for not noticing in the menu) and I just couldn't eat them. Black noodles just turned me off.

Squid Ink pasta is very mild. In fact, whether I've purchased it & cooked it myself (different brands) or enjoyed it in restaurants, I've yet to come across one that had even a remotely fishy taste.

When preparing it, frankly I just look at it as a color component more than anything else. Thus I try to keep things light, bright, & contrasting. And simple.

Favorite for me is a light cream/Alfredo-type sauce with bits of diced tomato & perhaps some chopped arugula for color. Shrimp, lobster, crab legs (or the imitation surimi) all make nice additions.

Just keep it simple & think of the ink color more as a color rather than a flavor.

Squid Ink pasta is very mild. In fact, whether I've purchased it & cooked it myself (different brands) or enjoyed it in restaurants, I've yet to come across one that had even a remotely fishy taste.

breezy, you've gotten ripped off. i guess repeatedly. why not just use food coloring?

yes, it shouldn't be fishy as the tide, but it should have a flavor different than regular pasta. sorta like anchovies don't taste like anchovies when disintegrated into a sauce, but they add a level of flavor.

Either that, or the Squid Ink pasta you've been enjoying has been made with less-than-fresh/wholesome squiddy ingredients - lol!!

I mean really - even fresh squid & bottled squid ink are barely "fishy". After cooking? Nada.

lol.
nope, i showed a squid your post and, well, you know what happens. yum!

actually, i have had poorly made squid ink pasta, with "less than wholesome" ingredients, and it sucked. it was sent back for a sub.

how do you know how something is supposed to taste if it all tastes the same?

Thanks for the replies and insight to this. I have googled recipes but I wanted to know who on DC has tried squid ink pasta and how it was prepared and how they liked it.

So it is best paired with seafood from what I am reading?

That's what I'd do. I can't even think of Squid Ink pasta with something like a sausage or a meat sauce.

But again, even with seafood I'd still go for a cream sauce using tomato for accent rather than a full tomato sauce. I just think the flavors & appearance are much more effective.

just to add to breezy's insight, a "full" tomato sauce is the type of overkill as i'd mentioned above. the idea is to taste the specialized pasta. a simple, fresh tomato sauce would work, even a spanish style one with light garlic and citrus.
or just coated in olive oil, s&p, maybe some cheese. that's it.

Yes - Bucky's right. A light, fresh tomato sauce would be fine. The type where all the individual ingredients are pretty much still recognizable. I'd just steer away from the usual full-fledged thick long-cooked marinara or ragu type of sauce. There's never any point in using those on flavored pastas.

Back
Top Bottom