ISO ideas for quick homemade dinners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yule

Assistant Cook
So I just moved in with my boyfriend, and chose to be in charge of kitchen "stuff" as he put it. Anyway, he's an increadibly picky eater...no canned/boxed/instant food, no fish, nothing tangy or vinagary, no tomato-based sauces, and no leftovers, ever. Also, he doesn't like the idea of meals from the crokpot more than twice a week. And now today he tells me that he wants something that isn't a sandwich packed in his lunch. I'm all for fresh healthy food, but this is getting a little intense.

I have never met a male who does not like chicken wings. They don't have to be spicy/tangy. There's a ton of ways to prepare them, and they're pretty quick to fix.

He does sound mighty darn picky. :):):) Will he allow casseroles? :mrgreen: If so, there are a lot of casseroles that are pretty quick and really good.

So don't you think that you need to reconsider your

choice of being in charge of "kitchen stuff". You need to ask yourself if he would be this picky and fussy if HE were in charge of "kitchen stuff". I have a hard time believing that he would put himself through all this needless effort. I also can't believe that no one else thinks he is unreasonable. If he is not willing to take over the "kitchen stuff" the way he likes it I think it is time for you to
JUST MOVE OUT.

i hear ya, yule! my jake loves southern food, while i adore fancy french foods. compromise is not easy!

have you tried, maybe, grilled chix over angelhair pesto, or stuffed pork chop, pulled pork sammiches without sauce, macaroni & cheese casserole style, pierogies, grilled reubens, fettucine alfredo with chix, etc.....

I have to agree with Lizannd. He is being unreasonable and I don't think you'll ever be able to please him in the long run. He needs to show you what he'll eat, and how often and how to make it, then you can decide if you still want to be in charge of "kitchen stuff". If you are a more adventurous eater you'll be making two separate meals all the time. If you have babies with this man, the kids (who are often naturally picky when they're little) will pick up on his eating habits and then, heaven help you.
I'm sure he's a nice guy but jeez, those are a lot of demands and limitations. Good luck, sweetie!

choice of being in charge of "kitchen stuff". You need to ask yourself if he would be this picky and fussy if HE were in charge of "kitchen stuff". I have a hard time believing that he would put himself through all this needless effort. I also can't believe that no one else thinks he is unreasonable. If he is not willing to take over the "kitchen stuff" the way he likes it I think it is time for you to
JUST MOVE OUT.

He's not trying to be difficult, really. He actually grew up in india, and he comes from a household where even spices were fresh-made. Also, his idea of being in charge of food results in either take out or stuffing himself with ramen.

have you tried, maybe, grilled chix over angelhair pesto, or stuffed pork chop, pulled pork sammiches without sauce, macaroni & cheese casserole style, pierogies, grilled reubens, fettucine alfredo with chix, etc.....

I've done all of the chicken dishes (pluss some) :rolleyes: and also the mac and cheese. I've actually never cooked pork. Is it pretty intuitive or is it the kind of thing where you should expect it to be a little sub-par the first time?

a dictator

JUST MOVE OUT.

i agree, i agree, he is a despot. if he wants to be so picky, let him do the planning and work. never , ever let any boy friend, or girl friend for that matter, give you orders. keep in mind he is not going to change. :mad:

He's not trying to be difficult, really. He actually grew up in india, and he comes from a household where even spices were fresh-made. Also, his idea of being in charge of food results in either take out or stuffing himself with ramen.

that my dear is his problem !! sounds difficult to me. beware the bossy boy friend. there has to be some middle ground.

Okay, so he'll eat ramen and take out. Does he not realize the processed foods in those kinds of meals? I'd say give in on some of the stuff but on others he'll have to deal. Okay to no tomato sauces but everything fresh is a bit much. Let him know you'll try to make things he'll like but you cannot meet all of these demands. Let him know if you are to be in charge of "kitchen stuff" then he has to give up some control.

i agree, i agree, he is a despot. if he wants to be so picky, let him do the planning and work. never , ever let any boy friend, or girl friend for that matter, give you orders. keep in mind he is not going to change. :mad:

I agree!!

Even if he's not trying to be difficult, he has made some difficult demands.

He needs to pack his own lunch. Seriously. Let him choose whatever suits him.

And no leftovers EVER is really unreasonable. If he means that, let him pay for ALL the food you two buy EVERY TIME you buy it. When he sees you throw away perfectly good food that you cannot finish, he should smarten up. If he doesn't then something is wrong.

I'd roast a whole chicken and then use it in several meals. Roast chicken the first night, and then burritos, casserole, soup the following nights.

Back
Top Bottom