Rusted Dutch Oven?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chile Chef

Sous Chef
I went to a place where it has an old old rusty dutch ovenn, and I mean this puppy is old,

We looked it at it and on one side it was it looked like it had a bunch of rust on it, Or it could have been caked on food, But it didn't scratch off when I did the scratch test!

So my question is, would it be worth while purchase even with rust on it?

Go for it. If it's really cast iron, you could have a treasure. All that's needed is a wire brush and some good scouring, followed by seasoning. Once done, you'll have a piece of cookware that will last beyond your offspring and then some.

Go for it. If it's really cast iron, you could have a treasure. All that's needed is a wire brush and some good scouring, followed by seasoning. Once done, you'll have a piece of cookware that will last beyond your offspring and then some.
That's what I thought, Katie.

So the brown rust can some clean?

By the way this D.O left a little lighter then my cast iron skillet,

Yes if it is the old black cast iron. The nice thing about it is you can bul;d a nice small wood fire in he back yard and throw the pot on it to clean the gunk off. Once the rire is cold, take it in and use a SOS pad to clean off the rust and scrub the inside. Rinse nd dry, season it with a little lard. It will be good as new.
You cannot wear them out.

If the pot is anything else but the black cast iron, I would not bother with it.

Back
Top Bottom