Breading Fish or Chicken

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vermin8

Cook
...for either baking or frying (I tend to default to baking).
I've noticed most recipes use either buttermilk or eggs as a bonding agent. What are the advantages/disadvantages for each.
I've also seen (for both) to coat the meat with flour before dipping into the liquid. Is this better than just the liquid (ie, eggs or buttermilk)?

The flour helps the liquid (eggs or buttermilk) to stick, without it, the other parts of the breading just slides off. Although there may be exceptions, that's been my experience.

I think it depends upon what you are trying to do. Wet fish or chicken will hold flour or cornmeal nicely. If I want a batter, I do this. I dip into an egg wash of egg and water and then into the flour and into the batter last. The wash hold the flour and the flour grabs the batter. If you batter fry do drop it into hot oil. If the oil is not hot enough the batter tends to float off the food.

That makes sense - I tried breading chicken without flour and it slid off. I'm trying the flour next and see how that does.

There is always more than one way to skin the proverbial cat.

Traditionally, and for frying, you dip the meat/fish in seasoned flour, then into an egg wash, then into the crumbs (or cereal).

I rarely do that. I'm more likely, with fish, especially, to dry it off thoroughly (to avoid spatters as it goes into the hot fat). Then I spread a thin layer of mustard on the flesh side. This helps the crumbs adhere to the flesh. then I dip into the seasoned crumbs or pat the crumbs on top. With chicken, I generally crumb both sides the same way, if I want that kind of texture. I RARELY do chicken like that. For one thing, I almost never cook boneless skinless breasts any more. I much prefer the flavor of chicken cooked on the bone.

You can also use water, stock or wine as a moistening agent to hold the crumbs onto your meat. This eliminates a lot of the "fattening" stuff but you still get the crunchy contrast. Panko breadcrumbs used to be only available to professionals, but I see them now in most supermarkets. Look for them. They stay crunchy under almost any circumstance.

speaking of breading, and fatty stuff, I once had (part of) a chicken fried cheeseburger. yep, you read it right... the hamburger patty and cheese were (heavily) breaded and fried. to die for, so to speak!

Thanks, everyone. Linicx, what's your recipe for batter and is it primarily for oil frying (I do little of frying)?
ChefJune, I'll try the panko and I like the idea of wine as a moistening agent.

best results are pat dry item, dust lightly with flour, dip and coat in egg wash, dip and coat in crumbs. I have found cracker meal an excellent coating for fish and chicken tenders etc. Makes a great crispy exterior. Panko bread crumbs are lighter and also really excellent, as are crushed corn flakes.

If you are worried about fat content, pat dry the meat, be it chicken, beef, pork, or fish with a paper towel to remove excess moisture. Dredge in seasoned flour, and then dip in egg-wash, letting the moisture soak in for a moment, and finally, dredge in the bread crumbs. Place the breaded food onto a wire cooling rack for ten minutes or so to allow the breading to "dry" onto the meat. Place on a parchment lined cookie sheet, and pop into a 400 degree oven. Bake for 40 minutes, or until an instant read thermometer reads 145 for pork, or 160 for poultry. Serve hot with sides.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

i'm going to disagree with you, goodweed, though that's quite a rarity. i was taught to fry/bake immediately, as the breading gets soggy.

i'm going to disagree with you, goodweed, though that's quite a rarity. i was taught to fry/bake immediately, as the breading gets soggy.

That could be true, if the oven isn't hot enough. Higher heat will dry the bread crumbs, leaving them with a soft crunch by the time the meat is finished cooking. Also, do you start with fresh, or dried bread crumbs?

It's true that I have had the misfortune of soggy bread crumbs before I figured out that using a hot oven was the ticket. But as with everything, there needs to be a ballance. Too hot and the bread crumbs can scorch before the meat is cooked through. To low a temp, and you get streamed bread crumbs on the outer surface of the meat.

Another great coating to use in place of bread crumbs is farina, or cream of wheat, mixed in with the seasoned flour. It gives you a pleasant, subtle crunch. Yum.

Back when I used to bread things, I would add a bit of Parmesan cheese to the bread mix. It would really help the browning, plus add a bit of flavor.

Goodweed, you say 40 min at 400 F. I assume that varies with the size of what you are cooking (ie, chicken nuggests vs. tenders or fishsticks vs. a half breast or half fish)?

Goodweed, you say 40 min at 400 F. I assume that varies with the size of what you are cooking (ie, chicken nuggests vs. tenders or fishsticks vs. a half breast or half fish)?

For 1 whole chicken, (2 to 3 pounds) 45 minutes will work. but you are right. Time will change according to the amount of food being baked.

Just the other night I made chicken nuggets with Romano Peccorino cheese, freshly grated. It is a superb addition to any dry mix for breading. I perfer romano, but Parmigiano-Reggiano is great as well. Please, don't use the synthetic blends, use the real deal for these cheeses.

I basically removed the meat from four split chicken breasts and cubed it (and threw the remaining meat and bone into the stockpot to make some chicken stock). Then I dredged in flour, then let it rest a few minutes. why let it rest? to allow the meat's surface to fully bond and absorb that layer of flour.

from the flour I dredged in eggs(two beaten eggs, not frothy) and imediately from the eggs into a ziplock filled with flour, fresh grated romano cheese, and seasonings (paprika mainly). From there, its on to the foil coated baking tray with a blast of spray oil on it.

I don't particularly agree or disagree with the set time for the battered pieces, as allowing the first coat of flour to set ensures the egg mixture sticks, which is sticky enough to make sure the breading sticks, especially when using a four based breading. typically it takes me 3 minutes or more to fill a sheet, so that's resting time well spent.

Now if I'm doing fried chicken , I always avoid eggs, especially if I am baking it. Baked fried chicken for the win! I dredge in seasoned flour, then in buttermilk, and then in breadcrumbs (or my favorite, a mix of crushed corn and bran flakes, with some rolled oats added).

sometimes if I am dipping my chicken, I just dredge in seasoned flower, deep fry, and then imediately dip in hot sauce before serving. that's my favorite way to make wings. there's no need for binding agents as the single coat of flour and the dip sauce is enough to satisfy.

Back
Top Bottom