How many languages you can speak fluently?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm fairly fluent in English, lol. I know enough Spanish to get the gist of some conversations. Not so important now that I'm married, but I can say, "Are you married?" in Swedish, as well as "Yes, I am married," and "No, I am not married." :LOL::-p

:)Barbara

Barbara - I speak English fluently (notice my posts elsewhere), but aside from having learned a few sayings in other languages (I tend to do that when I know I'm going to vist other countries), I have the ability of providing a large noisy stomach grumble if hungry enough that needs little interpretation :)

Bob

Yes, I used to race fixed gear. Too old now. :rolleyes:

I'm old too, but I've been riding my fixed gear regularly on the streets (w/front brake) for at least 15 years.....way before all the hipsters wannabes came into the scene. I intend to keep riding at least til I'm 90. You might have noticed my addiction to FG from my username. :-p :D

I know how to say "Oooo, there's a snake in my bag!" in spanish. Other than that, I only massacre the english language. I should learn more spanish.

English, yes; I used to teach it. The romance languages I can read; Spanish I understand spoken (don't tell my customers) but can't speak well.

I speak English fluently and can swear pretty good in Italian too :LOL:
My grandparents were from Sweden, and they were determined that their kids would only speak English (something I have always regretted). My mom said the only time they ever heard Swedish around the house was at Christmas and birthdays, and when my grandfather hit his thumb with the hammer. :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

:)Barbara

japanese & spanish are fine, but i've been out of the u.s. for so long that i have doubts about my english! ;)

japanese & spanish are fine, but i've been out of the u.s. for so long that i have doubts about my english! ;)

philso - You have been on here a while. I don't think it would bother you too much. But we can poke at you and laugh if you want it as a reminder :) We'll do that if it makes you feel happy :)

Otherwise, I'll just be quiet.

Bob

Barbara, my father's first language is French, my mom speaks it fluently, but they were determined to NOT have their kids suffer from the confusion of a second language at home (my father definitely did), so spoke it only when they didn't want us kids to know what they were talking about. (For our Canadian friends, my parents' families were what my husband jokingly refers to as "frost-backs"). I can pretty much read brochures and do about 1st or 2nd grade level things in French, but can't speak it or actually understand it at all when it is spoken at what is a normal speed. When I travelled in Quebec, one phrase I learned before I left (several of my friends are native speakers) was, "speak to me as if I was five years old!". It was a huge hit.

My sister married a Puerto Rican man. At one point she told me that everyone should learn Spanish, it is the future. I cracked up. She'd barely, and I do mean barely, passed her college requirements for foreign language. Spanish. When she was living with this man. They have definitely NOT taught their kids Spanish. Finally I told her, "XXXX, I have taken 4 years of French, one of German, and a semester of Spanish, which, I might add, I got an "A" in. I can say hello, good bye, please, thank you in a half dozen other languages. So give your lecture to someone who doesn't think a second language is important."

I do wish we offered second languages more consistently at a very early age. I think it trains your mind in different ways. And when you might, at an older age, need to learn another language, my experience is that it is easier to learn another language if you learned a second language as a child.

What little French I do know, in spite of a speech impediment (which isn't there in English, but prevents me from pronouncing a French "r" correctly) I have, in spite of not having gone to France since I was 3 years old, used to its ultmost. If nothing else, I entertained a French-speaking northern African man by telling him about my problem with "r" and then, to add to that, telling him that I can't even say my own name correctly (I have something like 5 Rs in my full, very French, name).

Back
Top Bottom