Difference between kombu and kelp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

subfuscpersona

Sous Chef
Kombu and kelp are both seaweeds, available in dried form in Asian markets.

Is kombu the same as kelp? Is kombu a sub-type of kelp?

I believe kombu is a variety of kelp

://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kombu

it wouldnt let me post a url so add http to the begining

One is Japanese, the other is English. Terminology. Sort of like Chinese fun vs. English rice. And I think it is helpful to think of kombu as a sub-type of kelp. Rausu kombu is thick, nearly inedible and used exclusively for dashi stock, whereas rishiri kombu is the same plant thinner and less mature that is a common ingredient in stews and pickles.

Rehydrated, kombu throws a lot of people off because it is oceany and slimy. Also because it is a natural source of monosodium glutamate.

One of my first chores as a kid was to go forage at low tide to harvest aosa, or "blue grass." It's actually an algae, but the USFDA requires that it be labeled as "kelp."

Can I substitute dried seaweed for dried kelp when making miso soup?

It depends on the dried seaweed. Kombu (dried kelp) comes in several different varieties that are carefully harvested in different areas. Most things labelled "dried seaweed" are completely edible, but as far as I know(? I'll be happy to take correction) kombu is never eaten. I certainly don't fancy it - a bit too much of an iodine-rush.

However, that said, I harvest my own fresh kelp (here in Puget Sound, after storms) and sun-dry it. I tried making dashi using fresh kelp ... NO. But dried, it's great and even develops the proper salty look. Most important to this Scotsman, the price is right :)

One is Japanese, the other is English. Terminology. Sort of like Chinese fun vs. English rice. And I think it is helpful to think of kombu as a sub-type of kelp. Rausu kombu is thick, nearly inedible and used exclusively for dashi stock, whereas rishiri kombu is the same plant thinner and less mature that is a common ingredient in stews and pickles.

Rehydrated, kombu throws a lot of people off because it is oceany and slimy. Also because it is a natural source of monosodium glutamate.

One of my first chores as a kid was to go forage at low tide to harvest aosa, or "blue grass." It's actually an algae, but the USFDA requires that it be labeled as "kelp."

Kelp is a form of algae. I don't know anything about it, but maybe that "blue grass" is a species of kelp.

It depends on the dried seaweed. Kombu (dried kelp) comes in several different varieties that are carefully harvested in different areas. Most things labelled "dried seaweed" are completely edible, but as far as I know(? I'll be happy to take correction) kombu is never eaten. I certainly don't fancy it - a bit too much of an iodine-rush.

However, that said, I harvest my own fresh kelp (here in Puget Sound, after storms) and sun-dry it. I tried making dashi using fresh kelp ... NO. But dried, it's great and even develops the proper salty look. Most important to this Scotsman, the price is right :)

If you click on the user name, a screen will come up. Click on user profile and you will see the last activity of that member. In this particular case, they haven't been here since that one and only post. That should help you from making replies to folks that haven't been here in a long time, where you are unlikely to get a response.;)

Back
Top Bottom