Red Velvet Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chrissy13

Cook
I want to make some red velvet cake, but I don't want frosting that is too sweet on top like the icing they sell in stores. How can I make my own icing? Can I make it with cream cheese?? What kind tastes good, but isn't too overwhelmingly sweet?

A stablized whipped cream frosting would be great on a red velvet cake. Look up the recipe on google. There are a bunch of them. The whipped cream is so much lighter than any other kind of frosting I can think of.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

A stablized whipped cream frosting would be great on a red velvet cake. Look up the recipe on google. There are a bunch of them. The whipped cream is so much lighter than any other kind of frosting I can think of.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Thanks! I will try that :)

What Goodweed said, or...stir a package of vanilla instant pudding mix into a bowl of Cool Whip and ice the cake with that.

If you want a recipe for the White Velvet frosting that goes with the cake, I can post it for you, but it's tricky to get just right. PM me if you want it.

I'd like that recipe Constance, but I'll probably butcher it if it's complicated! haha

I never cared for the cream cheese icing that is often used for red velvet cake. I use the 7-minute frosting (look up online) or another cooked frosting:

Bring 1 cup milk, 3 tablespoons flour and a pinch of salt to a boil, stirring contantly (the flour will stick to the pan if you are not careful) until the mixture is thick. Let this cool completely.

Cream 1 cup butter or margarine (butter tastes better, but margarine is more spread-able - I use a stick of each) and 1 cup of sugar. Add the flour/milk mixture, a little at a time. You need to beat this a good 4-5 minutes. Add a teaspoon of real vanilla and beat another minute. Spread on the cake and enjoy!

I never cared for the cream cheese icing that is often used for red velvet cake. I use the 7-minute frosting (look up online) or another cooked frosting:

Bring 1 cup milk, 3 tablespoons flour and a pinch of salt to a boil, stirring contantly (the flour will stick to the pan if you are not careful) until the mixture is thick. Let this cool completely.

Cream 1 cup butter or margarine (butter tastes better, but margarine is more spread-able - I use a stick of each) and 1 cup of sugar. Add the flour/milk mixture, a little at a time. You need to beat this a good 4-5 minutes. Add a teaspoon of real vanilla and beat another minute. Spread on the cake and enjoy!

That sounds good! But how sweet does it end up being?

Back
Top Bottom