Oysters - dead or alive!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rmyen

Assistant Cook
I read the if your fresh oyster in a shell isn't closed tight or if you tap it and it doesn't close, not to eat it because it's dead. OK, I can understand that..... but what about the shucked oysters in a container that you buy? They're dead too! Is there a difference on how they die make it edible or not?

They are at their absolute best when alive. No chemical breakdown has happened at all. Starting at the moment of death, all meat, of any kind, starts many chemical processes that break down the meat, all the way to rotting.

That said, when packaged, *supposedly* they are under tight time and handling restrictions that are supposed to extend their safe-to-eat life-spans as far as possible.

If you've never tried this, it's sure worth the effort:

Shuck and pick oysters. Wash to remove any particles of shell or sand in shell.

Wrap each oyster in a half slice of thin-cut bacon.

Bake until bacon is cooked to your liking.

Quarter a piece of bread and butter it with a butter/garlic/chive mix.

Put one wrapped oyster between two quarters of bread and gobble it up!

Four Yums on the Yum Meter! :ROFLMAO:

Warning; this is a cholesterol/fat meal that is NOT good for you, but try it anyway....:LOL::pig:

I read the if your fresh oyster in a shell isn't closed tight or if you tap it and it doesn't close, not to eat it because it's dead. OK, I can understand that..... but what about the shucked oysters in a container that you buy? They're dead too! Is there a difference on how they die make it edible or not?

First of all, the rule about the shell's being closed is more useful with clams and mussels. Oysters are pretty much closed and you have to pry them open with a short stiff knife.

Shelled oysters are processed to be safe.

Back
Top Bottom