Gypsy Peppers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hoot

Executive Chef
Moderator Emeritus
Anyone ever grow or use these?
They appear to be a cross between bell pepper and banana pepper. I had never heard of them. Mrs Hoot brought a few home from work last evening.
I am thinkin' they might be good to use in makin' a mild chile rellenos.
Thoughts...comments?

From what I googled, they seem to be what you might expect from bell peppers left to their own. I would probably treat them as such.

I reckon...I didn't find a lot of information on them..'cept from vendors such as Burpee or Bonnie. They don't appear to achieve a diameter bigger than a banana pepper. I reckon I shall see....

Oh--is that what they are called! We don't grow them intentionally, they just happen--oops, wrong side of the blanket, er, pollination pattern? We have hot banana peppers, but then we also have sweet ones if they are planted too closely to the sweet peppers. We can't tell them apart until we taste them...we're learning.

Last edited:
Ours come off of hot banana pepper plants, look like hot banana peppers, but are more like cubanelles re: taste. Not quite as sweet as the bell peppers. And, they are yellow. We have a mix--some hot banana peppers and some "gypsy" banana peppers. The banana pepper plants are all in the same row, the cubanelles about 2 rows away, and the bell peppers also 2 rows away. Oddly, the jalapenos stay true and those plants are in the same area.

These are sweet peppers, Andy.
Hoot, we love the Italian sweet pepprs for appetizers/ What we do is de-seed them cut off the stem thn slice into rings and fry in evoo til they start to turn brown, Thn put them on paper towels and sprinkle with salt. They taste wonderful and the person frying is kept busy :ROFLMAO: I've also stuffed them with bread crumbs and butter, shallots, parsley, and minced Mortadella or salami. sausage might be nice tho I haven't tried it. These gypsy peppers are like Andy said the cubenelles Which i adore. Hope you enjoy them.
kades

They are the ones near the bottom of the photo. Some small banana peppers are there for reference.
Pardon the quality of the photo. I gotta get a real camera.

16629-albums905-picture5030.jpg

Back
Top Bottom