ISO Help with Soft Pretzels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baking

Assistant Cook
Hi

I was trying to make soft pretzels today. Every time i put in the pretzels to bake in the oven, the pretzels would actually harden up and not remai n soft. They also dont expand in the oven as much as it should. Any ideas why this is the case?

I put it in for 10mins at 220 degrees. Is it the oven? Also i may have put in extra yeast accidentally. Could that be the reason? Please help.

Oh dear, baking and pretzels are not my thing. Be patient, someone who knows should be here shortly.

Welcome to DC!

Did you boil them first? I've never made them, but I've read that you need to boil them before baking.

Well no, I didnt boil them as such but they were dipped into hot water solution (with baking soda) for a second each. That is just to give them the crustier outer coating.

Unfortunately my pretzels become crusty all throughout. I dont think its because of the boiling but of course am not sure which is why i am here.

Last edited:
I don't have an answer for you, but I want to welcome you to DC. This is a fun place to be. And we seem to have an answer to every problem. These are wise folks here, some who have been baking and cooking for a long time. Boiling seems to me to be your answer. But I have only made them once. So what do I know. :angel:

Ive been making soft pretzels for years. Ive switched to Alton Browns recipe from this website.

Homemade Soft Pretzels Recipe : Alton Brown : Recipes : Food Network

Soft pretzels cook kinda like bagels. They need to be boiled in the baking powder solution ( as you mentioned) but as I do ( and in the recipe) you do this for 30 seconds per pretzel( I flip them 1/2 way through the boiling process)

Also, the temp to cook them at in the recipe I used is 450 F for 12 - 14minutes

I not sure why yours are hardening up so much at 220. Ah, your at 220 C :) which is about the same temp. Make sure they are a decent size. The only thing I can guess, is maybe your pretzels are too thin or flat and are dehydrating during the cooking process.

As a tip, what I do after they are done cooking, is I melt some salted butter and mix in a little sugar to give it a very slight sweetness to it, and brush it over the pretzels.

When I make soft pretzels I don't boil them.

I do drop them into a pot of boiling water with baking soda, but it's only a dip and a flip then out and onto the baking sheet.

Top with desired amount of salt and bake at 425F for about 8 - 9 minutes.

Always come out golden brown and nice and soft inside.

Larry I am going to try your suggestion of brushing with butter, salt and sugar after they are done with my next batch .. sounds really good !

Larry I am going to try your suggestion of brushing with butter, salt and sugar after they are done with my next batch .. sounds really good !

Gives it a little of that 'Auntie Annes Pretzel' taste to it. salty / savory.

I also dont make the typical pretzel shape. every time i do, each one looks worst than the next. So I convinced my kids that we are making " snake pretzels" and they think its the coolest think and saves me the embarrassment of making ugly looking pretzel wannabe's :)

To this day , ad the age 16 and 18, they still call them snake pretzels :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Gives it a little of that 'Auntie Annes Pretzel' taste to it. salty / savory.

I also dont make the typical pretzel shape. every time i do, each one looks worst than the next. So I convinced my kids that we are making " snake pretzels" and they think its the coolest think and saves me the embarrassment of making ugly looking pretzel wannabe's :)

LOL Oh yeah ... my pretzel shapes are a bit frightening at times too. I had the grands over one time and we made soft pretzels. The youngest who was 4 at the time looked at me, scrunched up her nose, squinted her eyes and said "Grandma who do you think you are fooling with THAT?" Then she showed me how to make a pretzel LOL Anyway, it matters not what the shape is .. so long as they taste good !

Last edited:
I make them almost like bagels. That is to let the dough rise for 1 hour then punch down and cut them into ropes, roll out each rope to about 20" and shape into a pretzels. Lay them out on a sheet pan and let the rise for another 20 minutes; (covered) with a linen towel. Boil a quart or two of water with 1/2 cup of baking soda. Place in boiling water for 30 seconds on each side and back on the baking pan. Bake @ 350 until desired color is reached, about 25 minutes or so. Add corse sea salt and eat warm.
39817-albums888-picture5174.jpg

Last edited:
Those look great. I knew i shouldnt have looked at this thread right before going to sleep. I guess Ill be dreaming about soft pretzels all night long lol, which is not such a bad thing :)

Those look great. I knew i shouldnt have looked at this thread right before going to sleep. I guess Ill be dreaming about soft pretzels all night long lol, which is not such a bad thing :)

No Larry, you will be dreaming of "snake" pretzels. Now don't blame me if you have nightmares! :angel:

Back
Top Bottom