Spice suggestion for sour cream based sauce?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dirk101

Assistant Cook
I recently cooked a simple recipe with chicken in a sour cream and mushrooms sauce, seasoned with salt and pepper. I feel that it could use some spices the next time I would cook it, but am unsure what spices I could use. If anyone has any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.

It is such a personal thing, how can you suggest anything? I am with Andy on this one. A person should use spices that he/she likes. I for example like paprika; does everybody need to start using it? Of course not. The only way to know is by trail and error.

It is such a personal thing, how can you suggest anything? I am with Andy on this one. A person should use spices that he/she likes. I for example like paprika; does everybody need to start using it? Of course not. The only way to know is by trail and error.

I'm with Charlie and Andy.

Use something you think tastes good

Come on, y'all! If you're just going to tell people to figure it out for themselves, what do we have this forum for? It's for helping others get ideas :rolleyes:

Come on, y'all! If you're just going to tell people to figure it out for themselves, what do we have this forum for? It's for helping others get ideas :rolleyes:

Yes. If I had asked for seasoning suggestions on my first post here and was told to figure it out on my own, I wouldn't have come back.

+1
It's nice to have a starting point when you have no clue where to start. Regardless of personal tastes. At least you know some people like it that way.

I would be tempted to add a splash of Marsala or Madeira and maybe some chopped tarragon , not spices but these do work well in a creamy mushroom sauce .

Any combination of these:
Sauteed Garlic
Sauteed Onion
Chives, dried or fresh
Fines Herbes
Herbes de Provence
Smoked paprika

Last edited:
I recently cooked a simple recipe with chicken in a sour cream and mushrooms sauce, seasoned with salt and pepper. I feel that it could use some spices the next time I would cook it, but am unsure what spices I could use. If anyone has any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.

Btw, welcome to DC, dirk! Head on over to the Introductions forum and tell us a little about yourself! :)

Thank you everyone for your replies. I actually decided to post on this forum because as I looked through it, I couldn't find a thread that had no replies. Having said that, I'm still somewhat surprised to see that the users on these forums really are that helpful.

Regarding your suggestions, fresh garlic and thyme seemed to really interest my taste buds, so I'll try that next time. I can't remember ever trying tarragon, but I'm curious to look into that as well.

As for the subject of not suggesting anything because I may not like it, I'm not sure if I follow the reasoning, but I can't say that I agree with you.

For one, it is true that I could experiment and see what works for me, but that would require time and resources I do not have, and seems somewhat impractical when there is a whole forum of experienced cooks whose suggestions you can easily gather, and then pick one or a few that sound the most appropriate for your own taste.

Secondly, I don't think that because I like the taste of thyme, I should use it with every dish I cook. Sticking to a few spices I like seems like it would condone monotony in my cooking, whereas listening to the opinions of others can lead me to finding new spices or combinations I didn't know about before.

Lastly, keep in mind that experience varies among cooks. I consider myself to be an amateur cook who merely enjoys cooking for himself and others, and I have much more experience and knowledge regarding sweets, cakes and baking than I do with cooking meals. There are occasions to learn and experiment by myself, and there are times to learn from the experience of others. Ignoring one or the other would simply make me a poorer cook.

Yes, I enjoy debating.

A whole sprig of rosemary. Put between 2 sheets of plastic wrap. Roll over it with a rolling pin to help release the oils. Put it in the sauce. Remove the sprig before serving.

Thyme and garlic as already mention.

One herb I like is savory. Not quite oregano, not quite marjarom it has a nice rounded flavour.

Herbs d' provence. You can put these together or buy a ready made spice jar.

A splash of white wine in the sauce or use if you deglaze the pan before making the sauce

Some grated parmesan to put across the top before serving

Some snipped parsley on top for color just before serving.

Back
Top Bottom