ISO Spatzle recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menumaker

Sous Chef
I bought a packet of dried Spatzle today because I have heard of it but never used it and seems very interesting. It looks like a cross between noodles and cut up spaghetti ?? I don't mind recipes with or without meat so I would welcome some hints please ;)

Love to have it as a side along with schnitzel and rotkohl.:yum:

Okaaay?? Schnitzel, I know and enjoy, .....and rotkohl is......? I'm on a learning curve here Craig. You're going to have to help me out please.

Last edited:
We use Jeff Smith's (The Frugal Gourmet) recipe for red cabbage. Craig says it tastes just like what his German granny used to make.

Red Cabbage (Rotkohl) (recipe)

I make the spaetzle from scratch. We found a maker years and years ago. Our go to way of making them is melt some butter with whole sage leaves in it and let it go to just starting to lightly brown, then remove the whole sage leaves and throw in some chiffonaded ones for a minute or so then toss with the spaetzle.

They are just basically egg noodles but for some reason I just love these things and could sit and eat just them and be happy.

ETA: The reason I use 2 separate sets of sage leaves is because the ones used to infuse the flavor into the butter get too crispy by the time the butter browns and it's an unpleasant taste/texture.

Last edited:
Ah! red cabbage. Now you're talking. A great favorite in this house. Thank you all. Didn't know it by the other name. This is getting better by each post .

Back
Top Bottom