What's Cooking for Wednesday, February 3, 2016

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LPBeier

Certified Cake Maniac
Moderator Emeritus
TB is feeling much better from his bout with the flu but still wanted to eat light so I made him one of his favourites - roasted drumsticks with steamed rice and peas. That should keep him going through his shift with the sandwiches and fruit I packed for him.

I just had some rice and peas for lunch but will have more of my spinach/artichoke mac and cheese with some leftover chicken later. I can only eat small meals more often since this last bout of flu and pain flare. But that is good!

We're still wrestling with the potato salad. I just can't make it for fewer than 8 people. Thankfully, DH proclaimed it the best he's ever had.

We're having Ling Ling potstickers and sauce too.

Last edited:
The Souschef has been busy chopping, and I'm about ready to put together my shortcut Chili Verde for tonight. Since I took an expert page from GG about adding some fresh tomitillo's it's really over the top good now! Our corner Mexican market had a big beautiful crop at .50 a lb.
Toppings planned are yellow and white cheese, chopped onion, cilantro and sliced avocado. Four tortilla's for the SC.

Last edited:
We had a very interesting pasta dish. Store bought, fresh ravioli and tortellini with a corn, garlic and pasta water sauce. Some fresh basil and fresh grated parm. It was pretty good.

Hopefully the homemade, creme fraiche will be ready tomorrow. We will have a Florida lobster dish with blini, creme fraiche and Russian caviar. We will pop the cork on the Perrier Jouet, flower bottle I bought a couple years ago, as a go with. Basically a "once in a blue moon", luxury meal.

Popcorn for lunch today... haven't planned dinner yet but breakfast is sounding interesting and I have some overripe bananas ... Yup that's it. Tonight's dinner:

Banana bread
Corn souffle
Chopped up fruit
left over ham

Penne with meatballs & red gravy.

img_1454102_0_185d7bee19b5fb914cf81d2b72995070.jpg

When I did my shopping this week I came across a spiral sliced ham for 69¢ a pound!

I roasted the ham this morning and had a couple of slices for dinner with a side of cauliflower.

In the morning I will wrap and freeze the ham slices in meal size packages.

The scraps will go into a small batch of ham salad and the bone will make a couple quarts of rich stock. :yum:

Why does 69¢ a pound ham taste so much better than $2.49 a pound ham? :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Great sounding dinners tonight. Joey, as always, your dinner looks so good. :yum:

AB, what a great deal on the ham! You can get so much mileage out of that for such a good price.

I threw together a skillet dinner this evening - sweet Italian sausage, potatoes, chopped red and green bells, onions, asparagus, and scrambled eggs. There's enough left over for breakfast in the morning.

I made a sheet pan dinner tonight. That's what they call it these days ;) I drizzled olive oil on a baking sheet and topped it with Penzey's Sandwich Sprinkle (which is a great stand-in for Italian seasoning) and lemon slices. Added a sliced carrot, a few potatoes and a couple chicken breasts and roasted them for about an hour. Tasty stuff :yum:

Attachments

• 1454560233476.jpg
    1454560233476.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 147
I roasted a seasoned chicken breast, diced it real small while it was still warm and added minutely diced celery, onions, along with salt and a smattering of pepper. Let the flavors mel. When it had cooled off enough I put it in the fridge to get cold. I had bought a loaf of Arnold's Farm White bread. Cut off the crusts and had a half of sandwich.

I am not fond of white meat from any animal. But this really surprised me. I am not sure if it was the celery and onions that were responsible, or the fact that the breast was roasted. The meat was so juicy. And the flavor of the salad knocked your socks off. Roasted chicken breast from now on for chicken salad. :angel:

I seared some pork tenderloin medallions, used the pan juices to saute apple chunks, and steamed broccoli spears as a side. Used up the last tangerines, blackberries, and some blueberries for fresh fruit dessert - and added banana and whipped cream for fun. ;) Himself had the fruit from the other half of the dish, so I just ate it from the bowl I mixed it up in.

Attachments

• 2016-02-03 20.16.12.jpg
    2016-02-03 20.16.12.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 134
  • 2016-02-03 22.59.35-1.jpg
    2016-02-03 22.59.35-1.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 136
Our hosts made of us a lovely dnner! It was of the nice salmon grilled of a cedar timber of wood!

There was of steamned corn on the cob, and lovely broccoli with the cheese sauce upon it.

For the dessert was a very nice pound cake of many nice fruit toppings of it.

I must have eaten so very much of this I must be sure of not weighing too much of the return trip of Romania or they must charge me of extra weight, yes?

Ha! I eat well as a hog!

Love,
~Cat

Back
Top Bottom