Canned chicken spread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwlabear

Assistant Cook
I've misplaced my 1969 ball blue book and I'm looking for the canned chicken spread recipe. Does anyone have a copy of it? I want to make some and will probably have to keep it in the fridge or freezer. I'm not sure if the recipe is still considered safe because it's not in the newer books. I'm not sure if it's because it's considered to be unsafe or just not popular by today's standards.

Hi Kbear,
Welcome to DC. I don't have a 69 ball blue book
but I will check with my sister and see if she has
one . Sounds like a recipe I would like.
Are you in Alabama? I know the Chillicothe name

Josie

I'm in Missouri. I finally found my canning books! I got ahold of Fresh Preserving and submitted the recipe to them. Considering the chicken in ground, they will probably say it's not safe to can.

I can ground beef quite often.I have
never canned ground chicken before.
I will try it.
There is a Chillicothe in northern Alabama
The have the most beautiful under ground
caves there.

Josie

The recipe is
1 1/2 quarts ground cooked chicken
1 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup prepared mustard
1 tablespoon grated onion
1 tablespoon vinegar
2 stalks celery
1 onion
1 carrot
4 peppercorns
2 whole allspice
1 bayleaf
2 teaspoons salt

Salt and pepper

Cook chicken pieces in water to cover. Add celery, onion peppercorns, allspice, bayleaf and salt. Simmer 2-3 hours until chicken is tender. Remove vegetables. Cool immediately. Skim off fat. Reserve 1 cup broth. Remove skin and bones, grind meat. Add remaining ingredients, including broth and season to taste with salt and pepper. Pack into hot Ball jars leaving 1 inch head space. Process half pints 1 hour, pints 1 hour 1 hour and 15 minutes at 10 pounds pressure.
Not sure if this is safe or not.

Back
Top Bottom