2016 New Year's Eve/New Year's Day Menu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
2016 New Year's Eve/New Year's Day Menu

Cold cuts
Italian hero (for NYE)
Rolls (for NYD sandwiches)
Onion dip
Blue cheese dip
Bean Salad
Salsa
Macaroni Salad
Green Salad
Guacamole
Olive salad
Cheesecake with Cherry topping

Sounds wonderful MsM!!

I can only imagine all the glorious food we will have as we'll be on a Princess cruise in Mexico. Can hardly wait!!

Last edited:
Delicious sounding menu, MsM!

Kay and Sous....what a great way to spend New Years! Have a wonderful time. Can't wait to hear the foodie reports! :yum::)

New Years Eve is usually a quiet time for me, so no particular menu here. New Years Day though, we've kind of gotten in the tradition of having homemade tamales from the lovely Latino ladies here who do them so well. :yum: This year I'm thinking of making Chiles Rellenos Casserole to go along with them. I'll probably fry up some corn tortilla wedges and make pico de gallo and guacamole for appetizers.

Thank you Ladies.

Sounds like you will be eating lots of goodies also.

We were supposed to go to a friends' house for their yearly NYE party, but now DW tells me that the hosts are trying to talk her into having the party at our house.

I wouldn't mind, but most of the guests are heavy drinkers (functional alcoholics is a better term), and I wouldn't want anyone driving home on dark, icy mountain roads. And the nearest hotel or B&B is at least 15 miles away down those same unlit roads.

If we end up going to their house, we will bring a few dishes, probably shrimp cocktail, devilled eggs, and my sister's weird new appy - kielbasi "coins" served in hot duck sauce.

Ykies Bucky!! NYE at your house sounds like a recipe for disaster. I wouldn't do it if I were you.

We need to hear more about the weird kielbasi "coins" served in hot duck sauce.

RF, only Sriracha will do it for me, and on the last cruise there was none to be had on the whole dang ship.

Last edited:
Yes, unless we can put everyone up for the night (20 + people? :( aerobeds as far as the eye can see) I think we'll have to say no.

I'll have to ask my sis about the kielbasi coins. I think it's a mix of kinds of kielbasi that are grilled, sliced into coins, and served in a heated crock pot in a spiced duck sauce.
Very weird but tasty.

Yes, unless we can put everyone up for the night (20 + people? :( aerobeds as far as the eye can see) I think we'll have to say no.

I'll have to ask my sis about the kielbasi coins. I think it's a mix of kinds of kielbasi that are grilled, sliced into coins, and served in a heated crock pot in a spiced duck sauce.
Very weird but tasty.

That sounds good, bucky. :yum:

....as far as the heavy drinker guests....yikes...I think I'd have to bow out of that idea, too.

it's all too easy to end up roped into things. Sometimes you have to say 'no', and there's nothing wrong with that at all. If you say simply, I'm very sorry, but we can't do that, it should be enough. Have something else organised, so you really ARE unable to oblige.

Here all our friends know by now that we stay in on New Year's Eve, so we invite them for an aperitif party, then they go off to their own respective parties. But over-consumption of alcohol here is very frowned on, even though there wineries and distilleries all over the place. And it's trouble big style if the Carabinieri catch you in your cups at the wheel!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

...I'll have to ask my sis about the kielbasi coins. I think it's a mix of kinds of kielbasi that are grilled, sliced into coins, and served in a heated crock pot in a spiced duck sauce.
Very weird but tasty.

Sounds like that really old concoction of grape jelly and Heinz Chili sauce heated with kielbasa coins. We made that years ago in Aruba against my better judgement and it was the hit of the group and the first to go.

Sounds like that really old concoction of grape jelly and Heinz Chili sauce heated with kielbasa coins. We made that years ago in Aruba against my better judgement and it was the hit of the group and the first to go.

Hey! I resemble that remark!

It's sort of my go-to for potlucks, I use meatballs, maybe combined with Lil Smokies, and I rarely if ever have leftovers.

We were supposed to go to a friends' house for their yearly NYE party, but now DW tells me that the hosts are trying to talk her into having the party at our house.

I wouldn't mind, but most of the guests are heavy drinkers (functional alcoholics is a better term)...and my sister's weird new appy - kielbasi "coins" served in hot duck sauce.
IF you cannot wiggle out of hosting (and you had better wiggle good!), I say they are allowed to Party at Napoli's Bucky T's on two conditions: 1) they toss their car keys into a basket that YOU are entrusted with and 2) they each put $50 bucks in with the keys to pay the taxi/Uber/Lyft driver when they have to call for a sober service to get them home. I bet DW's friends will happily host that NYE party. :LOL:

Kielbasa coins? They sound like the "Cocktail Weiners" I made from the 1973 edition of "Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book" decades ago:

1 6-oz jar prepared mustard
1 10-oz jar currant jelly
1 1# package of hot dogs, sliced into bite size pieces

Combine mustard and jelly in saucepan or chafing dish. Heat until warm, add wiener pieces, and warm until heated through.

Made it with Himself looking on apprehensively, questioning why I was making it. I was new to cooking, it looked easy, and it didn't cost much. He was shocked when it went before the more "normal" tasty treats on the table Sometimes you CAN put lipstick on a pig :pig: or at least mustard and jelly.

Lol, oh please don't say that about keys.

We found out after we moved in that the guy who previously owned our house used to hold key parties (swinger parties) for the neighborhood. Supposedly almost all of the neighbors on our block and the next cul de sac over were involved.

Now I know why they are all so weird and unfriendly. I thought it was because they thought they were rich and were acting snooty.
It's because we aren't creepy and don't want to be in their sex cult.

Thank God the houses are far enough apart that we don't have to see them often.

But as far as NYE goes, maybe we can ask some of the neighbors to put up some of our guests that get too drunk and become obnoxious... mwahahahaaa.

Seriously, though, I'd rather go out to someone else's party/headache.

Ew. I thought key parties were urban legends. I do NOT want to have sex with my neighbors. :ROFLMAO:

To answer OP: don't have any ideas yet, maybe DC can help me? Another cooking challenge? :chef:

We don't have a New Years Day special menu but for New Years Eve we celebrate a little.

Champagne
Shrimp Cocktail
Marinate Herring
Bread,
Cheese
Pickles
Charcuterie

We usually have leftovers that comprise lunch the next day.

I'm going to have to try that. Although, I don't think I've ever tried Heinz chili sauce before. Is it like ketchup with apices like cumin in it?

I'm going to have to try that. Although, I don't think I've ever tried Heinz chili sauce before. Is it like ketchup with apices like cumin in it?

Yup. It looks like a Heinz ketchup bottle except the shape is different. As I recall, it's two bottles of the chili sauce and a very big bottle of Welch's grape jelly - maybe the 18 Oz. size. There are plenty of recipe variations on Google.

Back
Top Bottom