3.6% alcohol beer, how many cans I can consume every week

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In Canada, the guide for alcohol consumption is:-

light beer of 3.7% = a 0.7 standard drink

Per week - fewer than 10 standard drinks or 15 for men.

Do the math!

If you are looking for the optimum consumption of alcohol for health - a lot of people would tell you that 0% is probably best. That being said, the above guidelines are probably pretty standard, give or take a bit, for most countries that have investigated alcohol related problems.

. . .which government says "as much as you want"?

c5YYlJY.jpg

"Listen! Hundreds... thousands of gallons... as much as you want!"

ZZjhIeW.jpg

According to this page Alcohol | Ministry of Health NZ, there are recommendations for maximum alcohol consumption per week in New Zealand, including 4% beer.

In this discussion, I don't see anyone mentioning whether the percentage is in ABV (by volume) or in ABW (by weight). This makes a big difference in low levels of alcohol.

Interesting point taxy, but I believe the only way I've ever seen is by volume.

Also, seeing as beer (+wine, hard liquor, etc) is a liquid and sold by liquid measure it doesn't make sense to list by weight.

Interesting point taxy, but I believe the only way I've ever seen is by volume.

Also, seeing as beer (+wine, hard liquor, etc) is a liquid and sold by liquid measure it doesn't make sense to list by weight.

By weight is used in Germany and probably most of Europe. I think it doesn't make sense to measure it by volume. If you take 30 ml of alcohol and add it to 70 ml of water, you will get less than 100 ml of mixture. Water is "fully miscible" in alcohol. The molecules fit in between the alcohol molecules in a way that makes the resulting volume less.

By volume is used in most of the US and Canada. I knew a German brew master who was hired to come to Quebec and work for one of the local craft breweries. The SAQ told him that his beer was stronger than he claimed. Then, he found out that we use ABV in Quebec. His beer was, on measuring the alcohol, exactly what he said it was, but by weight.

In Canada, the guide for alcohol consumption is:-

light beer of 3.7% = a 0.7 standard drink

Do the math!

If you are looking for the optimum consumption of alcohol for health - a lot of people would tell you that 0% is probably best. That being said, the above guidelines are probably pretty standard, give or take a bit, for most countries that have investigated alcohol related problems.

a 0.7 standard drink

<< sorry I don't understand.

By weight is used in Germany and probably most of Europe. I think it doesn't make sense to measure it by volume. If you take 30 ml of alcohol and add it to 70 ml of water, you will get less than 100 ml of mixture. Water is "fully miscible" in alcohol. The molecules fit in between the alcohol molecules in a way that makes the resulting volume less.

By volume is used in most of the US and Canada. I knew a German brew master who was hired to come to Quebec and work for one of the local craft breweries. The SAQ told him that his beer was stronger than he claimed. Then, he found out that we use ABV in Quebec. His beer was, on measuring the alcohol, exactly what he said it was, but by weight.

OK then in a conclusion, is it okay to drink 3.6% vol Alcohol by volume for 5 can a week (each approx. 500ml). I cannot live without it but I am good at controlling myself

OK then in a conclusion, is it okay to drink 3.6% vol Alcohol by volume for 5 can a week (each approx. 500ml). I cannot live without it but I am good at controlling myself

That would be within the Canadian guidelines. That works out to just a little bit more than one standard drink in the 500ml of beer.

OK, Kenny, if your 'can' says it contains 3.6% of alcohol, and now you've mentioned it is a 500ml container, information not supplied earlier, this is good.

If you have 1 drink per day, you would be well within your limits. You could even have 2 per day on your weekends!

Not being a scientist, nutritionist, heck I failed math! But.. this is how I personally would look at it. JMHO

Sounds like a win win to me!

I grew up on the boarder of Ohio and West Virginia. Beer in West Virginia was 3.2 % alcohol by weight. In Ohio it was 6 % by volume of alcohol. Two different measures but in truth they are quite close. Ohio advertised "High Powered Beer" and people in West Virginia would drive some distance to buy
it. A Politician in West Virginia knew something about brewing and reasoned that he could pick up votes with the "religious folks" by claiming he was going to lower the power of West Virginia beer. (worked for him)

As for how much of the stuff is reasonable, I've read that for men, two drinks (beers in this case) a day is reasonable. For women one drink a day is more suited to their health.

d-TCU9j99zw2MhtkWhXfTzUhgoZvSKdyOL6crb-4AqOuUYPWweKj-CVwtUR-KL351ENuepdEP5ARt4Xy9qo_2LAJZHgETVO5vsHmy3kyHPiwmzvOvzECHGKbZIIdCXKn8F13qjZ_

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom