Airlines May Start Charging for Other Things.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When flying with the Air Force I felt real lucky to git a potty break let alone a box lunch
or a bag of peanuts. If you wanted any thing to eat you had better pack it your self
and I traveled all over the pacific.and most of the west coast from California to far north Alaska. I think a lot of folks have the gimmy attitude that just becauce they purchased a ticket they were deservings a lot of free give aways. When the truth of the matter is they purchased a ride from point a to point b. Think about it when you bought your ticket did it say free snaks or a meal, or free booze, not even in the very fine print did they say this. I think it is time that every body wake up there is no such thing as a free lunch

Those "free" things you spoke of wern't at all free. you payed for them with the purchase of your ticket. When the operating cost of the airlines was substantially lower compared to the initial fare, airlines competed for your business by offering perks. The higher priced premium, or first class tickets gave you more perks as you were giving more money to the company to pay for those perks.

However, to survive, and still try to hold costs down to a point where the common traveller can afford a ticket, airlines have to cut the perks or go bankrupt. When we expected perks, we desearved them because we paid for them. Now, the price of a plain ticket hasn't gone up as much as operating costs have, and so we are no longer paying for perks, but rather, we are paying for the basic flight from point A to point B.

But I don't really think that you should have to pay for your first bag of luggage. The plane was designed to carry it, and it doesn't cost the airlines much additional fuel to carry it. And, if you are going to pay enough money to fly somewhere, chances are you are going to need a change of clothes, unless you plan on purchasing disposable clothes at your destination.

And I really don't care if they charge extra for meals, as long as they let me bring a sandwhich and drink on myself if I so choose to. For a long flight, it is rediculous to expect a passenger to have to pay the exorbitant cost of airline food if they can't well afford it. And there are people (myself included) who are supposed to maintain a specific timeline for eating in order to control blood sugars.

There are reasonable expectations and we need to be willing to tighten our belts if the airlines are going to remain in the black. But they could easily gouge us as well, an so we need to be dilligent. Remember, if you are treated poorly, you can always boycott.

Seeeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

When we fly, we stop and buy sandwiches at the airport after we go through the security check. The food is much better.

I do as well, along with maybe some low-sodium potato chips and a soda.

If it's a morning flight, it would be one or two burittos.

I want to travel. I'll put up with the rules.
Sure..it's a pain but... it's all worth it in the end.

Alix, I could :kiss: you. Thanks for saying everything I wanted to but just didn't have the time nor patience to type. :flowers:

I just wrote this whole big "thing" and simply erased it - I still don't have the patience for this.

Did anyone hear about this one?The airlines are looking to cut out more stuff that used to be for free and are contemplating charging for your first piece of checked baggage!USAirways is planning to get rid of free snacks in coach class, but it will leave it as is in first and business class.Delta, United, Northwest and Continental are all planning to raise the cost of airfares and may also start charging passengers for the first piece of checked baggage.
I think the airlines have to do something. It's not like it used to be. Flying is now more like bus service, anyone notice when flying that no one dresses up anymore? Back in the day, I'd go to Hawaii several times a year. I remember seeing people all fancied up and the stews were all fancy too. Now it's oversized baggage, oversized people and undersized planes, plus gas prices waaay up, what can they do to rescue their business? < but charge for things 'finally', it's been way too long that they've done nothing. Just my opinion tho.

Last time I flew , it was to NC to be with my sister , whose daughter and grand daughter died in a car crash , back in 2005. Being deaf, I cannot hear when they announce boarding, so I go to the customer service and ask that someone come to me and let me know the flight is boarding. I had 3 flights going to NC and 3 flights back, and each time , I asked for help and they let me know the flight was boarding.

I think the airlines have to do something. It's not like it used to be. Flying is now more like bus service, anyone notice when flying that no one dresses up anymore? Back in the day, I'd go to Hawaii several times a year. I remember seeing people all fancied up and the stews were all fancy too. Now it's oversized baggage, oversized people and undersized planes, plus gas prices waaay up, what can they do to rescue their business? < but charge for things 'finally', it's been way too long that they've done nothing. Just my opinion tho.

When I worked for United Airlines and flew using the employee discount, I had to dress up to get on the planes and fly on stand-by.

But the time that I flew to Las Vegas, I didn't dress up because I paid up front for a round trip ticket. I flew Delta then.

I am so sorry to hear or see this about your family. My heart goes out to you and pray that somehow, that you are learning to cope. So very sorry for this LC61
thank you LEFSElover... It was and still is devastating, my niece was only 30 and her daughter was 10.

ALIX, your post is right on and I couldn't agree more. If people don't fly then don't complain because is most cases you really don't have a clue as to what is going on.
I fly first class and have taken over 200 flights in the past 20 years. First class may be expensive, but I spend about 4 hours on a plane and I want to be as comfortable as possible. Here is what first class on American Airlines gives me:
A seat that is extra wide and extra deep, (I don't need it but I'm not cramped either). The thickly padded seat reclines further, there is a 9 inch space between me and the passenger next to me so we can both rest our arms, books, drinks, etc. without touching, I fly bulkhead, aisle so I can stretch my legs completely out in front of me and rest them on the bulkhead wall.
I am called by my name and constantly asked if I would like a drink, coffee, tea, etc. I get full meals, not a snack and the food is surprisingly good. The attendants passed around the most delicious chocolate chip cookies that had just been baked along with milk, or whatever we wanted to drink as a mid flight snack. Meals are served on real china, real silverware, cloth napkins and we are given a hot towel to wash our hands before being served.
We can watch a current movie. The first class section is very quiet, no loudmouth taking over a conversation for the whole 4 hours. No children. There are only 2 seats across so no middle person.
The service, the food and the comfort are terrific and worth the price of the ticket. I like being pampered and I like being comfortabe and am willing and able to pay for this service. If you don't like the extra service and/or can't afford it then fly coach but don't complain because you aren't getting meals, have to pay extra for luggage and have a fuel surcharge. I saw CNN news last night where they talked about the airlines losing 2 billion dollars so far because of the exorbitant fuel costs. Someone has to pay that price and like every other business, it's going to be the consumer. Delivery services have gone sky high because of the fuel costs. Merchandise is now higher and so is food because of the fuel charges to the trucks. Get used to it. Driving isn't cheap either. It ain't gonna get any better.

For the poster who has hip problems: Get a wheelchair. When you make your reservation ask for one and it will be ready for you when you get to the airport. Be sure to remind them as you are checking in. You are wheeled through security immediately without having to wait in line. You go through the same drill, but you aren't subjected to a long security wait. The attendant will then push you to the gate that your plane is leaving from.

that reminds me of a story a friend's wife tells. she's a flight attendant for delta airlines.

one of the flights she hates to work most is called the "miracle" flight from west palm beach to nyc.

many of the rich old people in the west palm airport are in wheelchairs and require assistance boarding before everyone else. they are usually very pushy, demanding to be helped into their seat and to have their carry-ons stowed for them.

by the time they land in laguardia in nyc, a miracle has occurred and those same old people are the first to sprint off the plane, grabbing the carry-ons along the way.

that reminds me of a story a friend's wife tells. she's a flight attendant for delta airlines.

one of the flights she hates to work most is called the "miracle" flight from west palm beach to nyc.

many of the rich old people in the west palm airport are in wheelchairs and require assistance boarding before everyone else. they are usually very pushy, demanding to be helped into their seat and to have their carry-ons stowed for them.

by the time they land in laguardia in nyc, a miracle has occurred and those same old people are the first to sprint off the plane, grabbing the carry-ons along the way.
That's amazing! ;) I'm surprised travel agents haven't started promoting that flight more! Maybe they should charge more!

Seriously, the things people will pull never cease to amaze me!

:)Barbara

Bucky - Are those the same folks with the expensive cars and the handicapped plates that sprint into the Mall?

ALIX, your post is right on and I couldn't agree more. If people don't fly then don't complain because is most cases you really don't have a clue as to what is going on.
I fly first class and have taken over 200 flights in the past 20 years. First class may be expensive, but I spend about 4 hours on a plane and I want to be as comfortable as possible. Here is what first class on American Airlines gives me:
A seat that is extra wide and extra deep, (I don't need it but I'm not cramped either). The thickly padded seat reclines further, there is a 9 inch space between me and the passenger next to me so we can both rest our arms, books, drinks, etc. without touching, I fly bulkhead, aisle so I can stretch my legs completely out in front of me and rest them on the bulkhead wall.
I am called by my name and constantly asked if I would like a drink, coffee, tea, etc. I get full meals, not a snack and the food is surprisingly good. The attendants passed around the most delicious chocolate chip cookies that had just been baked along with milk, or whatever we wanted to drink as a mid flight snack. Meals are served on real china, real silverware, cloth napkins and we are given a hot towel to wash our hands before being served.
We can watch a current movie. The first class section is very quiet, no loudmouth taking over a conversation for the whole 4 hours. No children. There are only 2 seats across so no middle person.
The service, the food and the comfort are terrific and worth the price of the ticket. I like being pampered and I like being comfortabe and am willing and able to pay for this service. If you don't like the extra service and/or can't afford it then fly coach but don't complain because you aren't getting meals, have to pay extra for luggage and have a fuel surcharge. I saw CNN news last night where they talked about the airlines losing 2 billion dollars so far because of the exorbitant fuel costs. Someone has to pay that price and like every other business, it's going to be the consumer. Delivery services have gone sky high because of the fuel costs. Merchandise is now higher and so is food because of the fuel charges to the trucks. Get used to it. Driving isn't cheap either. It ain't gonna get any better.

For the poster who has hip problems: Get a wheelchair. When you make your reservation ask for one and it will be ready for you when you get to the airport. Be sure to remind them as you are checking in. You are wheeled through security immediately without having to wait in line. You go through the same drill, but you aren't subjected to a long security wait. The attendant will then push you to the gate that your plane is leaving from.

It's all good.

But not everyone gets to fly first class or business class for that matter, as not everyone can afford it.

I've also flown in first and business when possible. I've flown since 1979, and I more than likely flew just about every other week. I got on a plane almost as if I got onto an elevator or a bus.

Back then, flying was fun. Today, nah!! Just about all of the fun has been taken out of it. I could still get on a plane tomorrow if I chose to, but I have no desire to.

And BTW, I also was treated with royalty flying first and business class and got all that stuff. One of my nephews went with me. It was his first time flying, and he flew in first class with me! He loved and enjoyed it!! He was going with me to Disneyland in Orlando.

I've had my fun flying on United for most of the 16 years that I was an employee with them. I just don't care to fly now.

Last edited:
Airlines have never given away anything - you just didn't get an itemized bill. In the beginning, there was only one class - it was first class for everyone - and you paid for it (only the wealthy could afford to fly). Then someone figured out that you could make more money by creating two classes - two seats at 2/3 or 1/2 the cost of first class brought in more money than an empty full-fare seat. As the airlines proved themselves - they could make more and more money from air cargo and carrying mail as well as passengers - so they could further reduce the cost of "coach" fares and begin to compete with the railroad for the comman man. As the Interstate highway system grew, promoting an increase in automobile travel and shipping via truck, it put a bingger pinch on the railroads ... but the number of airports and number of flights increased. These days ... air freight is down (think UPS and FedEx) and government regulations initiated prohibiting certain items from being carried on flights with passengers (after accidents). I could write a book on the interaction of air, rail, auto and social and economic changes in the transportation industry.

However, with the number of lost bags these days - they should only charge you if your bag actually shows up undamaged on the same flight you do!

As for airport security measures ... can you imagine the outcry (at least in the US) about violations of "civil liberties" if the current measures had been implemented in time to prevent 9/11? Our security mneasures have always been reactive - not proactive for that reason. I can remember a security measure from the early 1950's that most people don't remember - or realize. Airport terminals used to have a booth, or machine, to sign up for "flight" insurance. Following WWII and Korea, there were some flights that were blown up - usually there was a passenger who had taken out a large policy at the airport ... sometimes a spouse - the machines were removed from the terminals and insurance companies altered their policies to not include aircraft accidents within 30-90 days from the issuance of the policy. Air Marshalls and metal detectors came about because of hijackers with guns back in the 60's.

Someone mentioned guys in baggy pants and lace-up boots ... yeah, I hate them if they are in line in front of me. They know the rules these days ... they can be inconvencienced at the "check-point" (and everyone behind them) or elect to wear differnt footwear for the flight. The choice is theirs.

And, yes, I've noticed a scaling down of what passengers wear on flights. I sat next to a guy wearing sweats on a flight about 14-years ago that I would swear came straight from a heavy workout at the gym without benefit of a shower, or clean clothes.

I just heard on the Today Show this morning, that by next summer, things will be even tougher with the airlines, and that even more stuff will be taken away.

For instance, carriers will start cutting back on flights to certain destinations(Los Vegas is one of them), raise air fares even higher and offer fewer and fewer discount seats. And even THOSE will be astronmically higher because they are saying the fuel costs are driving the cost of flying right through the roof! Delta, Northwest, United, Continental and USAirways are even eliminating more discount fares.

It'll probably be just bare bones flying by then in coach. Even the regional carriers plan to make some cuts!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom