Am I over worried about my PP container?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenny1999

Senior Cook
OK, the story is
I've got a few new PP (Polypropylene) containers but I forgot to
close the lid after cleaning them up. I saw there was a big and strong
lizard that climbed into my container and then ran away
because it has been living in my kitchen for quite some time.

Since then I put away the container for a few months but
I don't want to throw them away.

OK, forget about psychological things. Logically speaking, is
the container still safe to store food? Could lizard leave any
small or micro bacteria or anything else that rest on the container
which is hard to remove??

If you wash them with soap and water after the lizard visit, you won't have a problem. If you wish, you can fill the containers with water and add a small amount of laundry bleach to further sanitize them.

At first, I was wondering if you were worried about your lizards eating from the PP, or yourself!:LOL:

I agree with the bleach treatment, but if the lizards are a problem, I would think that you'd have more to be concerned about than something sticking to PP. But it doesn't seem to be bothering you, which is good.

Maybe not as bad as finding a dead corn snake in a garbage can in my garage! After disposing of the body I bleached and washed the heck out of the container. The smell is gone now.

I think you're good now after cleaning as your lizard was still alive and you saw him leave.

At first, I was wondering if you were worried about your lizards eating from the PP, or yourself!:LOL:

I agree with the bleach treatment, but if the lizards are a problem, I would think that you'd have more to be concerned about than something sticking to PP. But it doesn't seem to be bothering you, which is good.

The lizard has been killed by my trap already and not another lizard is found, if there is any. However, the PP container is still unused, since I'd like to use it to keep rice grains which would be in tight contact with the surface of the container, I am thinking if lizard could leave anything even very in micro size that would stick to the surface of PP

I agree with the others that washing the container in a mild bleach solution should solve the problem.

The fact that this happened several months ago and is still of some concern to you tells me that you should probably toss the container for your own peace of mind.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom