Anyone make their own pizza?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I usually keep a few store bought pizza doughs frozen for when I want to make pizza. On occasion, when I have more time, Ill make my own crust. I find the stores to be better than mine, more consistent and predictable.

Now, that I have to watch my carbs, I have started using the Trader Joes Cauliflower Pizza crust. I dont use it with a red sauce, as I find the flavors and textures dont work. I only use it for salad pizza's, White pizza and A spinach / garlic pizza.

Every now and then I will treat myself with a real pizza crust.

I usually keep a few store bought pizza doughs frozen for when I want to make pizza. On occasion, when I have more time, Ill make my own crust. I find the stores to be better than mine, more consistent and predictable.

Now, that I have to watch my carbs, I have started using the Trader Joes Cauliflower Pizza crust. I dont use it with a red sauce, as I find the flavors and textures dont work. I only use it for salad pizza's, White pizza and A spinach / garlic pizza.

Every now and then I will treat myself with a real pizza crust.

I occasionally buy the Caulipower brand plain pizza crusts. I absolutely love those.

For those of you who use store bought or homemade frozen pizza dough, how do you go about using it? Does it thaw in the fridge or on the counter or in a bag in cold water? How long does it take to thaw? How long does it have to rise?

For those of you who use store bought or homemade frozen pizza dough, how do you go about using it? Does it thaw in the fridge or on the counter or in a bag in cold water? How long does it take to thaw? How long does it have to rise?

I just thaw it on the counter for a couple of hours until it's room temp. It's already wrapped in plastic, so I take it out of the freezer and set it on the counter and just leave it alone. When it's room temp, I remove it from the plastic wrap and put it in a covered dish to let it rise a little bit. And that's it until I'm ready to make the pizza.

Taxy, I do much like Linda0818 above. For my own, I take it out at least a couple of hours in advance...more often, I make pizza for lunch, so I take it out as soon as I think about it, after coffee. ;-) When I buy store bought, I bring it home and put it in the fridge, then in a day or so, I pull it out and let it come to room temp on a wooden board, on the kitchen counter. I turn it over, every now and again. I find the store bought seems to need more time to come to room temp than my homemade. Probably because it is bigger and denser.

I've used store bought dough a couple of times but don't like it.

I make a batch of dough enough for three pizzas and freeze them.

Made a pepperoni pizza last night using sauce mentioned in post response and it was good tastings but the dough was way too thick. So now I know better.

I haven’t used my wood-fired, Pompeii pizza oven in quite some time. It makes no sense to use up good, seasoned firewood and spend a few hours for a couple of 800 degree, 3-minute pizzas.

Can you tone down the heat in it? Make a day of baking? Soak your clay cooker, shove a chicken in. Or your Tagine?

Anyone make the Detroit style double crust square pizza, i.e. bottom crust layered with sauce, and lots of fresh mozzarella, and Italian hard chesses. Then another crust is layered on top with sauce, meats, veggies, etc., and topped with another layer of fresh mozzarella slices The sides are pinched together to seal the crust sides. This is baked in a heavy, square steel, or cast iron pan.

It's quite tasty, especially if you're a cheese lover.:yum:

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

hmmm, sounds yummy Chief!

That's amazing Roadfix!
Would take a lot of planning - way beyond my simple brain but you could cook for 3 solid days such a variety of foods!

Hello Craig07, Welcome to DC!

and? so? was it successful? Did you make the dough too? What toppings?

I'm in Waterdown and my DIL usually buys the fresh dough from Fortino's - always good. Then as 6 people we always choose our own toppings, some with a tomato base and others "white".

If I could make a great pizza dough that would give me the ability to make pizza at home more often.
The topping are simple and easy.
One guy I was talking to said he had the same problem and was able to correct it. He par bakes his crust now.
That was my biggest issue was doughy crust. Not crispy.
Also I have no pizza stone or peal. I can correct that easily. But I am concerned if I make the pizza on the peal, it may not slide off as it should. Par baking would eliminate this issue.
I do understand a sprinkling of corn meal on the peal first would assist in sliding the pizza off.
I have been buying pre-made pizza dough from a great pizza restaurant. It still does not come out real crispy but its good.

Lately I have been using Naan bread to make individual pizza's. They come out very good. I preheat the pizza pan, I butter or oil the white side of the Naan and bake on that side for 3-4 minutes. To brown that side. Then I turn it back over and make the pizza.
Any suggestions are appreciated.

I use cornmeal on my wood peel and make my own dough. The pizza slides off fine. Use plenty of cornmeal and before you put the pizza in the oven, give the peel a little forward and back shake to ensure the pizza is moving freely. Then place the tip of the peel near the back of the stone and gently shake the peel back and forth while pulling back so the pizza slides off onto the stone.

The oven has to be super hot and well preheated. I set mine to 525ºF and let it preheat for an hour after it reaches temperature to ensure the stone is heated through.

I use cornmeal on my wood peel and make my own dough. The pizza slides off fine. Use plenty of cornmeal and before you put the pizza in the oven, give the peel a little forward and back shake to ensure the pizza is moving freely. Then place the tip of the peel near the back of the stone and gently shake the peel back and forth while pulling back so the pizza slides off onto the stone.

The oven has to be super hot and well preheated. I set mine to 525ºF and let it preheat for an hour after it reaches temperature to ensure the stone is heated through.

+1 on Andy's advice. I use Semolina instead of cornmeal, but it works the same. Just do that shake and do it often, during your process. It is SCARY at first, but once you get it down, you'll be laughing at how simple it is. You can add more semolina or cornmeal as you go, if needed. Give it a try!

smileys-cook-271952.gif

a pizza stone, imho, is essential. also does great for bread baking....
as for the peel - it's another large gadget to find a storage spot....

I got pizza parchment rounds - same diameter as the stone - on Amazon.
not expensive, work like a charm, also works as a guide for sizing the dough , , ,
and if you want to par-bake, makes the double oven in-out a snap.

example
https://www.amazon.com/Worthy-Liners-Parchment-Paper-Rounds/dp/B079YGQ893

a pizza stone, imho, is essential. also does great for bread baking....
as for the peel - it's another large gadget to find a storage spot....

I got pizza parchment rounds - same diameter as the stone - on Amazon.
not expensive, work like a charm, also works as a guide for sizing the dough , , ,
and if you want to par-bake, makes the double oven in-out a snap.

example
https://www.amazon.com/Worthy-Liners-Parchment-Paper-Rounds/dp/B079YGQ893

You build the pizza on the parchment round. How do you get that into the oven and onto the stone?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom