Being creative on the grill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last year Kathleen talked me into grilling a head of romaine. It smelled like pot while cooking, but the charred leaves we pretty good.

Rachael Ray has a recipe for grilled tuna served over grilled romaine that's really good. She serves it topped with bleu cheese salad dressing, which DH likes; I prefer Italian dressing.

I once used my gas grill to strip the seasoning off of a carbon steel wok so I could redo it.

I ran it full blast (lid closed) until the wok was clean.

That's what I've done too, just experiment when you're grilling, particularly if you're grilling vegetables too. Go ahead and clean out those odd bits of vegetables you've been saving in the refrigerator, try them. Worst that can happen is that you'll taste them and discard them if they're not good. Best case is that you might find something new that tastes good grilled.

If you're grilling a whole chicken cut up, grill the giblets too. If nothing else they make good snacks for the grilling chef while he/she is minding the chicken. (Livers cook quickly, just add a bit of salt and they make nice snacks.)

Tater tots are better on the grill. You just need some foil or a grill pan so the don't stick or fall through.

I also like to toss some rosemary branches into the fire or on the lower grates to smoke a bit.

French fries and pizza are good on the grill too :) and the second baking of twice baked potatoes- leaves a nice smoky taste. Yum!!

Last year Kathleen talked me into grilling a head of romaine. It smelled like pot while cooking, but the charred leaves we pretty good.

Great with Buttermailk dressing (& bacon, if you're so inclined).

We have an artichoke that just keeps producing, so my daughter and I took some cut them in half after steaming then put them in a marinade of white balsamic,crushed garlic, shallots finely minced, fresh shopped parsley, salt and pepper with a touch of Tabasco and Worchestershire. let them marinate overnight in the refrigerator. then put them on a med grill let them get lightly blackened then served them up. How good were they? They were really good. Planning a feast this weekend.:LOL:
kadesma

Grilled peaches from last year. Butter and brown sugar in the seed/pit opening. Great with vanilla bean icecream!:)

img_1139524_0_141c33b0b83c21e4542425c79a63cff0.jpg

img_1139524_1_6c9da63c4a03f71cf9b9cea5dc2d4dd2.jpg

Paymaster said:
Grilled peaches from last year. Butter and brown sugar in the seed/pit opening. Great with vanilla bean icecream!:)

Ohhh. That looks so good, PM!

It would be interesting to have an example of something that wasn't good cooked by grilling. Okay maybe ice cream or something that melts.

I've cooked almost every vegetable I like on the grill, to good results. Okay I admit I never thought of romaine lettuce. I think cabbage would be good. I've heard of baking kale.

I routinely cook almost any vegetable on the grill. I usually like the same vegetables raw, so raw + warm is good too. Some of them soften and they're good too: zucchini, cucumbers, mushrooms. Sometimes the vegetables need more cooking to be palatable: potatoes, yams.

@ Cerise, I like bok choy in salads (and of course in stir fries). Grilling them could only be good!

Baked Bean Kabobs. I want a picture of you putting the individual beans:LOL: onto the skeweres, brushing them with sauce, and grilling them.

Ok, another no-no on the grill, hmmm, let me think, grilled okra.
Grilled Cucumber
Grilled celery
Grilled watermellon
Grilled summer hubbard squash slices

Just to name a few.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the Nrth

Chief Longwind Of The North said:
Baked Bean Kabobs. I want a picture of you putting the individual beans:LOL: onto the skeweres, brushing them with sauce, and grilling them.

Ok, another no-no on the grill, hmmm, let me think, grilled okra.
Grilled Cucumber
Grilled celery
Grilled watermellon
Grilled summer hubbard squash slices

Just to name a few.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the Nrth

Hmm, grilled squash sounds good to me, and someone earlier said grilled watermelon wasn't bad :)

It would be interesting to have an example of something that wasn't good cooked by grilling. Okay maybe ice cream or something that melts.

I've cooked almost every vegetable I like on the grill, to good results. Okay I admit I never thought of romaine lettuce. I think cabbage would be good. I've heard of baking kale.

I routinely cook almost any vegetable on the grill. I usually like the same vegetables raw, so raw + warm is good too. Some of them soften and they're good too: zucchini, cucumbers, mushrooms. Sometimes the vegetables need more cooking to be palatable: potatoes, yams.

@ Cerise, I like bok choy in salads (and of course in stir fries). Grilling them could only be good!

Everybody's talking @ me. I don't hear a word they're sayin'... LOL
Sorry, reminded me of a snobby SE site :angel:

Luv Bok choy in any shape or form. Another fave is steamed salmon & bok choy.

Never thought of a bok choy salad. Will put it on the list. Have a recipe to share?

I like to take spaghetti squash, pierce it a lot, then grill whole until it is almost blackened on each side. Let cool, then do what you would anyway (seed, fork out the strands) and toss with a little olive oil and med type seasonings. Come to think of it, haven't done it in a few years.

I pierce and grill eggplant whole then peel and make baba ganhouch (seen too many spellings to bother to try!). Again, you practically blacken the skin.

When I grill pineapple, I just use a slight brushing of honey and use it as a side.

I was telling a vegan friend the various ways to make great dishes on the grill to add some ooomph to her cooking, and she loved it. Hope she went home and tried some of them.

I just finished cooking and eating some kabobs on the grill (red pepper, cod, pineapple, red onion). Yum

Right now I have wings, fries, and a cored apple with butter, brown sugar, and a little cinnamon on the grill. Yum!! I made home made sweet and sour sauce for my egg rolls at lunch so I'm going to use that on a couple of the wings. The rest are going to be buffalo style with my home made ranch. The bf doesn't know what he's missing ;)

image-1934342490.jpg

Mmmmm. I'm usually very partial to buffalo style, but the sweet and sour was so good I only ate one piece with the buffalo.

image-3921143617.jpg

I was hoping from the right angle you could see the steam coming off the apple, but no luck. It smells so good even golly was interested lol

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom