Black Gravy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Termy

Senior Cook
Actually invented by accident. Now gravy might seem like it belongs in different forum, but black gravy require different treatment of the roast.

First of all, you may or may not splash the roast in some grease to brown it, but it is not that necessary.

In the roasting pot, make a "bed" of cut up onions and place the meat on top, making sure to cover every one. (I mean it, don't let any out alone)

Uncovered, top rack at the highest temperature your oven can do. Once it is nice and black, and smells black, put in water or broth, turn it down and cover it. Cook at maybe 350ºF for a while.

Turning the roast now and then helps, and it gets that black stuff into the moisture. When you are done, those other things, carrots, celery and whatever should be in water that is very dark, black is best.

Remove it all from the pot leaving only the water and the onions.

Get it to a boil on the stove, add some salt and pepper.

Then get out the cornstarch or flour, whichever thickener you prefer. Now be sparing in the amount, you can only make so much and not dilute it. Anyone eating it should be made aware that there is not that much.

Once it is done try it ! Just a wee little bit goes a long way.

You are not going to get this right at first, I am sure of it. But it is a good endeavor to try to make as dark a gravy as possible. Less carbs and more favor is always good.

If you don't like it, the complaint department is in Afghanistan. I know someone who will fly you there if you get to Europe first...

T

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom