Black. White.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Z

Head Chef
Anybody watching this program on FX?

I think it's an interesting reality show/expose on some peoples' views of racial issues.

Nope...sorry... too many other things to watch. I can NOT start another new one.

sattie said:
I have been watching and I have mixed feelings about it.

I guess that's what I like about it... It kinda makes you think about who is more 'right' along with all the shades of gray and subtleties surrounding the issue.

pdswife said:
Nope...sorry... too many other things to watch. I can NOT start another new one.

Hee hee hee, I feel your pain. I got my wife hooked on police dramas. NYPD Blue, Law & Order, and L&O SVU at first. Now that Blue is off the air, we watch Injustice, and she wants to see this new show, Evidence. Also she's interested in the new L&O spin off, Conviction. Problem is, they are all on at the same time as other shows! We already have to watch one and tape another! If she keep wanting the watch these other shows, we're going to have to get another recording device!

I've seen previews for this show, B.W. I think it looks good and the concept is good, but I just don't have time to watch or tape it!

Morgan Freeman said "the best way to end racism is to not talk about it" I agree. Crap like this just gets people stired up. thats my opinion.

Hey BigDog

I like your signature... I like the first verse of that Chesney song:

The body's a temple
That's what we're taught
Well, I've treated this one like an old honky-tonk
Greasy cheeseburgers and cheap cigarettes
One day they'll get me
If they ain't got me yet

Good song.

Chef_Jimmy said:
Morgan Freeman said "the best way to end racism is to not talk about it" I agree. Crap like this just gets people stired up. thats my opinion.

I'm happy that you stated this as your opinion, Jimmy. I do not happen to agree
with you or this actor ('s opinion). Ignoring real issues does not end them.

(in my opinion)

sattie said:
Agreed.... it is thought provoking, better on a personal level than any other.

Don't let it provoke any thoughts. If you stop thinking about it, the problem ceases to exist.

:rolleyes:

Never heard of it. I like some reality shows, but I'm more into game show these days. I like "deal or no deal".

if you don't speak of something, it doesn't necessarily go away. there's always someone who uses silence and ignorance for evil.

silence can be deafening.

People who are able to isolate themselves from problems find it much easier to distance themselves from the issues and imagine that they're all in the past. Undeniable advances in race relations over the past 50 years have not come from people "not talking about it" and not stirring things up.

Even with the advances that have been made, significant and complex issues remain. Morgan Freeman's wealth and success make it far easier for him to take the stance that he has.

Racial issues are always going to be prevelant, and we could discuss it, but I was trying to keep things to cooking. PM's otherwise. This is a cooking forum so...and I could go on about many issues, but this is neither the place or time to do so.

i understand his point, but as a society, as a nation, and certainly as a planet, we're not there yet.
it's a nice sentiment, but premature imo.

only education and communication will get us there.

the internet, with all of it's foibles and pitfalls, will go great lengths to helping the latter.

I thought this was the "Off Topic" area... and... the banner at the top of the page DOES say "Discuss Life".

I see many non-food-related topics here so I don't see that this is "neither the place or time to do so."

I apologize if any have seen my comments as inappropriate.

buckytom said:
i understand his point, but as a society, as a nation, and certainly as a planet, we're not there yet.
it's a nice sentiment, but premature imo.

only education and communication will get us there.

the internet, with all of it's foibles and pitfalls, will go great lengths to helping the latter.

Agree on all points.

amber said:
Racial issues are always going to be prevelant, and we could discuss it, but I was trying to keep things to cooking. PM's otherwise. This is a cooking forum so...and I could go on about many issues, but this is neither the place or time to do so.

i agree and disagree.

i agree this is not the place.
i totally disagree that this is not the time...

out of respect to you amber, i will say no more. :)

So many topics are discussed here... I don't see why this topic is misplaced. As I scan the topics discussed on pages in this section, I see topics about many issues. My intent was not to discuss racism itself, but only to get peoples' views of this 'reality show'... and this is a topic that has been discussed MANY times here.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom