Can you can creamy things?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

digigirl

Cook
I'm having trouble finding information on whether certain items can be home canned - specifically, things like cream sauces (Alfredo sauce) or custards or puddings. I know you can do things like Lemon Curd, but it has a lot of acid in it.

Can you can things like Alfredo sauce, or other creamy type items?

I would imagine so. I mean, if you can buy an alfredo sauce in a grocery store (in a jar)...same general principle.

I would say no. Commerically they use a lot of preservatives and equipment that you do not have in the home. Lemon curd should not be canned either unless refrig. and will keep safely for only 2 to 3 weeks because of all the eggs in it. Don't tempt fate when Alfredo sauce is so easy and fast to make when needed. Ceam sauces do not freeze well either.

Only if you have a pressure canner; then you can put up things with a low acid content. There's been lots of discussion on the boards re pressure canners, if you want to do a search, I'm sure you'll find some great info!

digigirl said:
I'm having trouble finding information on whether certain items can be home canned - specifically, things like cream sauces (Alfredo sauce) or custards or puddings. I know you can do things like Lemon Curd, but it has a lot of acid in it.

Can you can things like Alfredo sauce, or other creamy type items?

Not unless you have access to the ingredients and processing equipment that the commercial mfgs have.

Back
Top Bottom