Can you freeze sour cream?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, you can
Now I always forget which freezes better between creme fraiche and sour cream.

You could sub with greek yoghurt & lemon juice

George, I often have the same problem. Now I buy Daisy Sour Cream in a tube. It costs a little bit more, but it keeps longer, even when I only use a few tablespoons at a time, so I usually don't throw any out.

George, I often have the same problem. Now I buy Daisy Sour Cream in a tube. It costs a little bit more, but it keeps longer, even when I only use a few tablespoons at a time, so I usually don't throw any out.
I have never seen sour cream in a tube, but it sounds like a great idea. Buying a tube works well for anchovies and for tomato paste that you won't use up quickly.

All the major stores carry it here (Target, Walmart, Publix, Sam's), so I assume it's available nationally. Not sure about Canada - do you get Daisy brand?

I have never seen Daisy Brand in a store or store flyer in Canada. This is what it says on the Daisy website. I think Daisy is a US only brand.

Where can I find Daisy Sour Cream?

More than 90% of all grocery stores in the United States carry Daisy Brand Sour Cream, as well as a large number of club stores, military commissaries, and food service establishments across the nation. Please contact us to find a store near you.

Rule of thumb - (not a rule - just rule of thumb) most dairy products don't freeze well. They tend to lose their texture.

Milk, cream, etc, will 'keep' when frozen, but will separate and appear curdled. They are still good and completely usable in recipes, but probably not satisfactory for drinking. Cheese can get rubbery - still usable, but not for plain eating. I buy a quart of buttermilk for baking, use what I need and freeze the rest in 1/2 cup comtainers. It is still fine in baking, but you probably wouldn't enjoy drinking it.

So if you want, you could freeze sour cream, but when you thaw it, you won't have that smooth creamy texture anymore. It will be OK mixed into a recipe, but not great served on top of a baked potato.

What Silversage wrote agrees with my experience. There are a couple of exceptions, as one would expect from a rule of thumb. Butter freezes and defrosts just fine. High butter fat (40%+) hard cheese defrosts better than lower butter fat cheese.

Find more ways to use sour cream. I like to whisk it into scrambled eggs. It goes nicely in many pasta sauces. You have leftover gravy? Cook up a little pasta, add the gravy and some sour cream for a poor man's stroganoff. Sour cream, buttermilk and seasoning makes a salad dressing. Add sour cream to macaroni and cheese to make it extra creamy. And so on. If you buy the smallest package of sour cream and plan, you should be able to use it up.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom