Canadian Geography

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
I came across this - thought it funny - and then wondered.
newfy n lab.jpg

I have always referred to Newfoundland as a Province but also knew that Labrador was never mentioned as a Province of itself. It is not a territory but its a geographical and cultural region of the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador. That is the provinces official name.

1699975832203.png
Sorry it's fuzzy, must be a foggy snowstorm there.

Just thought it was interesting, I'm sure most Canadians know this but thought to share with others.
Guess it is sort of like in the States it is the Commonwealth of Virginia, but still a State.

No, I am not from there although my dad was from New Brunswick - a Maritimer.

Believe it or not, Newfoundland and Labrador is not considered to be a Maritime province. It is part of Atlantic Canada / the Atlantic Provinces.

That's interesting. I didn't know they were each part of one province. Here's a clearer map, plus a map of the entire country. It's pretty small compared to the other provinces. It always amazes me to see how big Canada is. Hard to imagine that people live way up there 😉

Labrador and Newfoundland.png

Canada-Map-2-1024x724.jpg

People don't live "UP" there. We live 'down' on the edge of some country called um.... let me see, uh... think the short term for it "the States".

I've met a few, not so bad, rather nice for neighbours.

canada-population1.jpg

Guess I should have said we are on the edge of this little country called the States. :LOL:

#CountryTot. Area (Km²)
1Russia17,098,242
2Canada9,984,670
3China9,706,961
4United States9,372,610

Most of us live near the US border. I think it's about 75% of the Canadian population that lives within 150 km of the southern border with the US. No one ever seems to care about how much of the population lives within 150 km of the border with Alaska or Greenland. But, I have a friend who lives within 100 km of the Arctic Ocean, so there are people living in the North, mostly indigenous people.

Gurdeep of the Yukon lives up there! 😁

:LOL: Thank you GG!... It is snowing today. A harbinger of the coming frost - two weather reports are out at the moment....
Right now (7:30 pm) it is 29 F. Low tonight of 24 F.
slowly going up to 43 F by Weds.
BUT...
we have been warned that we could get a blast of -40F yes, that is a MINUS 40 (same, same in Celsius, no need to convert)
My daughters are in Edmonton, Alberta - cold country and it is warmer there than here! But they did have snow a couple of weeks ago before us.

taxy? - an update? how are you faring?

taxy? - an update? how are you faring?
Pretty standard weather for this time of year. Not too cold yet. It's currently 0°C. It rained a bit today. This is our 14 day forecast. I hate that the changes they made to the Weather Network website. This used to show the historical highs and lows with dotted lines on the graph.

Screenshot 2023-11-28 at 01-37-30 Dollard-des-Ormeaux Quebec 14 Day Weather Forecast - The Wea...png

Very light cover of snow on deck this morning. Expecting snow squalls all day. Driving will be nasty, made even mor treacherous as there are always many accidents due to first snow/nobody has their snow feels for the road yet. Every year - same story.
Ontario, unlike Quebec, doesn't have a regulation about snow tires.

I've only been to Canada maybe 15 times. I love it there and the people I've met were super. One of my favorite trips was going to New Brunswick and Nova Scotia (no offense to other provinces) partially because of all the fresh seafood we ate and the beautiful coastal views, and we just did and saw so much in that 10 days of our trip. I've also been to Niagara Falls many times (also loved Niagara-on-the-Lake). I'm only about 5 hours from there. The Canadian side of the Falls is stunning. I've only been as far north in Canada as Sudbury and unfortunately have not yet had the chance to see the western side of the country, though while vacationing in Mexico several times I've met people from Calgary and Vancouver. My sister and I talked about taking a train across country someday.

Labrador and Newfoundland would be awesome to see as well.

If you loved Nova Scotia and New Brunswick, you'll love Newfoundland even more.

I say this and I've never been there, nor have I been to Prince Edward Island. You'll find that little gem completely different from the others.
I've visited only thru friends who live in both places and virtual travel via the internet, LOL.

The Prairies are prairies, what can I say - train across them is great. The vastness is amazing.
British Columbia is another wonderful place, including the islands. Seafood abounds along with the sights.

I have been to Newfoundland a few times. I loved the people. I didn't find it nearly as pretty as New Brunswick or Nova Scotia. It is fondly referred to as "the rock" by people from there. It's harder to get to the coastal towns and hamlets in Newfoundland. It's still worth the trip. The culture and the way people talk is noticeably different from the rest of Canada. Their accent is delightful too. Oh, and the names of the towns can be quite amusing.

It is beautiful as in rugged beauty. This is in Labrador.
Labrador.jpg

and yes! some of the town names along the Newfoundland coast will make you wonder, LOL.
My ex-neighbours just took a road trip around "the rock" in their 5th wheeler this summer. Highways and most by-ways are excellent. Biggest danger on the roads there are at dawn and dusk - gotta watch out for those moose!

Dragn, I was specifically writing about Newfoundland, not Labrador. Yes, there is rugged beauty, but you can only see most of it from a boat or airplane. I didn't get a chance to see much of that rugged beauty.

Aww, that's a shame. But a lot of Labrador's beauty is also coastal.
LOL - next time be sure to take a boat tour!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom