Canning Sauerkraut that I made a few weeks ago.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
I made sauerkraut a few weeks ago. It has completed its fermentation stage, and has been sitting the the fridge since then. I would like to can most of the remaining sauerkraut that I have in the fridge in half - pint jars, as this is the perfect amount for us per serving.

1) What would be the correct processing time for half pint jars ( water bath canner)?
2) would I have to heat the sauerkraut prior to canning ?
3) If so, will the preheating in addition to the processing time drastically affect the consistency ?

I've tried freezing it in batches, but wasn't crazy about the results.
I've also let batches sit n the fridge for extended periods of time, but also found that over time, the quality deteriorates .

1. 20 minutes (same as pint) raw pack
2. use raw pack so you don't have to heat before putting in jars.
3. just start the canner as prescribed in link, putting in raw packed sauerkraut, then bring to a boil and 20 minutes later, take them right out.

If you go with warming it up before canning, then the time required for waterbath canning goes from 20 minutes down to 10 minutes.

1. 20 minutes (same as pint) raw pack
2. use raw pack so you don't have to heat before putting in jars.
3. just start the canner as prescribed in link, putting in raw packed sauerkraut, then bring to a boil and 20 minutes later, take them right out.

If you go with warming it up before canning, then the time required for waterbath canning goes from 20 minutes down to 10 minutes.
Perfect! Pretty much what I thought, but you do it a heck of a lot more than I do, so your confirmation gives me the confidence I lack :-p
On my ' Things to do' list today.

Thanks

Here are the results. ( did it at about 4:30am).
These half pint jars look to be the perfect single serve amount for me and my wife.
Ill probably wait a week, then pop a jar open to test the consistency.

Attachments

• sauerkraut .png
    sauerkraut .png
    1 MB · Views: 5
Just an update, we used some of our canned sauerkraut the other day. Consistency and taste were fine. Im very happy about this. Ive frozen sauerkraut in the past, and it loses something in the freezing process. Also, although it lasts a long time in the fridge, it still gets a little funky over time. The half pint size works out well for us, as it is a single serving , so I dont have any leftovers to go bad.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom