Carbon Steel Griddle Spatula/Turner???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gad, why is it that you always like the same cooking equipment that I like? I own several different sizes of these carbon steel Dexter Russell old turners and spatulas.

Mine are all over 20 years old and are very sturdy. I bet the ones at your church are Dexter Russell too!

OK, I like carbon steel for these particular spatulae because the old carbon steel ones are roll-tapered and spring tempered, and are made like high end commercial cutlery. They have a good feel to them that new, stamped sheet stainless tools just don't. They are made in the USA, which means jobs for my fellow Americans. When I flick one of these babies with my finger it rings like fine crystal, and when I invert one and press it quickly on the table, it sings like a crosscut saw. When I cook at the griddle for twenty people at a time, it is pretty much non-stop for the forty minutes or so I'm on it, and for things like home fries, fried rice, and the like, that take a lot of turning, I may use two, one in each hand, and I want tools that feel right. I have worked with wood and metal working tools most of my life, in shop and the field, both professionally as well as for myself, and know and respect quality, good materials and craftsmanship. If you know tools, you know what I mean.

ok, now I get it Gadz, and thanks for the detailed explanation. Thank you too for your service to the less fortunate with your cooking. :flowers: I also serve in a food kitchen for the needy and the personal rewards far outweigh the work involved.

ok, now I get it Gadz, and thanks for the detailed explanation. Thank you too for your service to the less fortunate with your cooking. :flowers: I also serve in a food kitchen for the needy and the personal rewards far outweigh the work involved.

Right over the hill in Santa Paula, if I recall correctly. :)

When I lived in Everett, I had a neighbor who every night went to the church that served meals to the homeless. He had a job so I asked him why he went there. He told me that his paycheck is so small that without the meal at the church he would have to go to bed hungry every night.

I give to our local food bank every month. I try to buy food for the kids. Cereal, peanut butter, jelly, rice. Children can't do their best is they are hungry all the time. They get the cereal for breakfast and and take a PB &J sandwich to school. I used to allot $10 our of my food stamps. But food prices have been rising, so now I make it $15. It is not much, but if it gives a child just one meal, then I feel that I have accomplished something. :angel:

justplainbill, the Webstaurant Store baits and switches. They use Dexter Russell for the picyures and Chinese stuff in the package. Caveat emptor.

justplainbill, the Webstaurant Store baits and switches. They use Dexter Russell for the picyures and Chinese stuff in the package. Caveat emptor.

I had a problem with that site as well. They refused to acknowledge a defective product.

I had a problem with that site as well. They refused to acknowledge a defective product.

Thanks for this warning! I was looking for some baking pans, I'll just order from the restaurant supply here in town.

Most sites state that they reserve the right to substitute merchandise of equal value. Bait and switch is illegal in most states. :angel:

img_1258389_0_3015d418d57d676df2cd60287b2971b8.jpg

OK, here's what I got...Dexter Russell carbon steel, 3x6 inch flat, roll tapered, beech handles. It's from their Traditional line, and the only carbon steel spat they still sell. Lacks that graceful curve at the heel of the blade, but it's probably as close as I'm going to get. Slightly smaller handle, too, but comfortable. Nice and springy/stiff, sharp leading edge, and will season to non-stick. They'll work just fine. Oh, and I did not buy from Dexter Russell, I bought off ebay for about 2/3 what D-R gets.

Last edited:
I was going to suggest a Japanese teppanyaki supply. My son has done the "cooking at the table" style cooking and had to buy his own utensils. His spatulas would ring during his cooking on the grill. But it looks like you made out and got pretty much what you wanted. Glad you were able to find something.

The carbon steel spats I got ring, too. Hardened edges. They're made like good cutlery.

spatula

I have been looking for these spatulas for years. If you have found a source, please post where it is. Thanks

Carbon steel is more flexible than SS. That's the main reason they are so popular in commercial kitchens. When you have to flip 500 burger patties a shift you'd soon appreciate the springiness.

Or here. This is the model I have, Dexter Russel 2386H-6 At one time, there was a Dexter Russell 8" square carbon turner, walnut handles instead of beechwood. I inherited 3 of those. Sears.com

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom