Cast Iron Teapot Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm betting the "bumps" inside the pot are mineral deposits ... so Callisto's method would work - or even just filling it up above the level where the sludge was and letting it sit over night. Then, you can use a green scrubbie and a MILD dishwashing soap to clean it. From what appears to be the "water line" I doubt the spout is clogged or coated with mineral deposits.

As for the rust around the rim of the lid - just use a paste of salt and oil to scrub it clean - wash with mild dishwashing soap, rinse, dry and give it a light coat of oil.

Of course to reseason it - you'll need to run a few pots of boiling water through it - until it doesn't have any taste - and then make a few pots of tea.

The bumps are not mineral deposits. They are actually the sludge. I just have not wiped that part out yet. I wanted to see if just water would do it first. It is too sticky though so water alone will not do it.

That line you see is not a water line. I think that is just an imperfection in the pot. The liquid was actually higher than that. The entire spout will not be affected, but at least the bottom part was. That is actually the grossest part from what I can see.

This is my favorite suggestion so far. Thank you so much Callisto.
You're welcome. Being a mom/aunt without a lot of disposable income you learn to clean things instead of just tossing them. Baking soda and vinegar become your best friend when fighting odor and sludge.

GB, have you done anything yet? If not, just fill the teapot with straight white vinegar and let it sit for a few hours. (Up to 24) The vinegar will remove anything that is stuck in there and it will be good as new. I use vinegar in my water distiller and its slick as anything for cleaning.

If that doesn't work, I'd go for a plastic scrubby pad (scotch brite or the like, I buy mine at the dollar store) they won't damage the enamel, but will get anything else out.

I actually just got off the phone with the store that it came from. Even though the paperwork I got with the pot said no soap, the guy on the phone said a dish detergent will be fine. He said not to scrub it with anything abrasive. He suggested a q-tip for the spout.

I still really like the baking soda/vinegar idea. I think I am going to start with that and take it from there.

The last time I baked something was...hmmm...I really can't remember :LOL: at least this way the baking soda will get some use.

Heh heh heh...you and kitchenelf are so much alike in some ways. Let us know how the teapot comes out.

I sure will. i might save some of the sludge and send it to YT. I bet he could do some really interesting science experiments with it ;)

This has been fun researching, GB.

While a tea "purist" would never ever put soap in their teapot - because it will ruin the "seasoning" ... they also would not go off and leave tea in it. So, you're dealing with extraordinary circumstances ... and the rules get tossed out until you can recover the pot to serviceable status.

Once clean - fill with boiling water and allow to "steep" several times. Then, when the water has no "taste" to it - make a few pots of tea .... always tossing them. Then - when the tea taste "right" ... you've got it "seasoned"!

Oh - and only make one type of tea in it ... apparently, you season a pot for one type of tea - mixing teas also screws up the "seasoning".

Humm .. where is YT???

I have wiped out the residue with dry paper towels. Now I have it filled to the brim with vinegar. I will let that sit all day and then see what it is like tonight.

Michael, can it really be seasoned if it is enamel coated?

I have wiped out the residue with dry paper towels. Now I have it filled to the brim with vinegar. I will let that sit all day and then see what it is like tonight.

Michael, can it really be seasoned if it is enamel coated?

I think he's talking abut the stains that build up over time with each use. Like a well used coffe cup or coffee hopper. Or even the enamel of one's teeth. This can and certainly will happen to an enamel surface.

Well the instructions did say that over time the inside will build up with a white coating that are minerals sticking to the pot. They said that this will add to the flavor of the tea and it is something that is sought after and prized. I had used the pot for at least two years (heavy use) and never saw any of it yet.

Well the instructions did say that over time the inside will build up with a white coating that are minerals sticking to the pot. They said that this will add to the flavor of the tea and it is something that is sought after and prized. I had used the pot for at least two years (heavy use) and never saw any of it yet.

A white coating? I never would have expected that. Minerals in the tea, water, both? Interesting.

The white coating is calcium, lime and other minerals. If your water isn't hard, or if it isn't heavy in your water supply, then you won't see it. Be glad, because it's a real pain. I have to run vinegar through my coffee pot and my dishwasher weekly or the deposits really build up.

I do not think that is what the teapot people were talking about though FM. They said that this buildup is something that you want, not something you want to get rid of. I believe it comes from the tea, not the water.

The white coating is calcium, lime and other minerals. If your water isn't hard, or if it isn't heavy in your water supply, then you won't see it. Be glad, because it's a real pain. I have to run vinegar through my coffee pot and my dishwasher weekly or the deposits really build up.
Slightly off subject, but how do you run vinegar through your dishwasher and does it really help? I was going to buy Jet Dry to get rid of the spots.

Slightly off subject, but how do you run vinegar through your dishwasher and does it really help? I was going to buy Jet Dry to get rid of the spots.
I don't know how it's supposed to be done, but I just pour some white vinegar (maybe a cup or 2) in the bottom and then run it through a cycle with no detergent. If you have a heavy build-up of hard water deposits, you might have to do it twice. It will make the inside look brand new and the sprayers will work much better (if you live in an area with very hard water.) I also use Jet Dry all the time because everything would be very spotty otherwise and a haze builds up over time.

You could you a baby bottle cleaner to "scrub" the spout.... or wrap a chopstick with paper towels and rub it up and down the spout to clean.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom