Chicken Stock Well Being

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GB said:
Nope that should be fine. The only thing I might be concerned about is the motor. If it needs to run extra hard to cool down the contents then it could burn out prematurely. I would guess in most cases that would not happen though.

GB, this is a cheap-o frig that we bought over 14 years ago and am amazed it is still running today... it is out in the garage in this TX heat, so you know that puppy is doing some overtime. I really don't keep anything in there to worry about and be upset about losing (except frozen stock)! I keep thinking it will give it up, but it is hanging in there.

Robo410 said:
Dang if you don't eat the stock, how will we really know????? (just jokin' wif ya)

:LOL: You sick-o!!!!! If it were not for the decision to post something on this forum, I probably would have tried it! :sick:

jkath said:

(This is for next time)
I've been using this stuff for a while. Makes the best broth
& takes no time to make a homemade tasting broth.

Looks like a good thing to keep on hand.... specially when I run out because I don't keep the canned stuff anymore. How much does that jar yeild?

It's a little jar (larger than baby food, smaller than a soup can) but it yields a lot. About a TBSP or two is all you need at a time. It really tastes great, and doesn't have much salt, which is great, imo. Tastes like homemade to me.
You keep it in the fridge, and has a consistency like suet.
I can find it at Trader Joe's and one of my local grocery store chains.
I use it for quite a bit, besides making broth/gravy. I also use a bit in a stir fry meal, and I add it to veggies for a richer taste.

They have it in my regular supermarket.

Although I like Minor's better for chicken base, I think Better-Than makes a really nice meatless base (either veggie or mushroom or maybe both). I agree that it's a bit salty but better, IMO, and less $$ than "veggie stock" you buy.

not to beat a dead horse, but I'd like an Alton Brown segment on what grows where and how ... he's never very specific on that ... and how can it if it can be killed...etc...

Food science, food chemistry , etc is fascinating.

What would be there?? CHicken stock (not something loaded with sugar or gluten) is cooked, placed in clean (but not sterile) containers and sealed (but how sealed) and not re-contaminated...

I would not fridge it and eat it, but a reheat to boil, new containers, chilled frozen. I would like to know what are the possibilities/probabilities, realities.

In this country we throw out more food than many other countries grow! We have better sanitation and conditions than 2/3 of the world. Just wondering.

When I was a kid a roast of beef got left out over night ... mom was mad because she had planned a rare roast, but decided under the circumstances to do a pot roast to ensure safety. It was fine and wonderful, and probably still better than meat much of the world gets. She wasn't about to throw it out if she could avoid it. (BTW, mom was a doctor.)

Even I wouldn't use it. Overnight maybe, but the whole day, nope. Do not take any chances. Though being me i would make sure to taste it, just a little bit, just to make sure that it is indeed bad and needs to be dumped.

Well, guess none of you (except Robo410) will be dining at my house - lol!!

I've frequently made stock & left it out to cool - covered - overnight. One night I went down about 3 a.m. & the glass pyrex bowl it was in was STILL mad hot to the touch. It was still warm at 7 a.m., at which time it went into the fridge.

Since I had no plans for using this chicken stock cold/uncooked, I chilled it, froze it, & eventually used it. And am still here to tell the tale without so much as a tummy ache.

BreezyCooking said:
Well, guess none of you (except Robo410) will be dining at my house - lol!!

I've frequently made stock & left it out to cool - covered - overnight. One night I went down about 3 a.m. & the glass pyrex bowl it was in was STILL mad hot to the touch. It was still warm at 7 a.m., at which time it went into the fridge.

Since I had no plans for using this chicken stock cold/uncooked, I chilled it, froze it, & eventually used it. And am still here to tell the tale without so much as a tummy ache.
You have been lucky. In most cases yes you can do this and you will be fine, but it is like playing Russian Roulette (sp?). That one time that you do get sick from doing this will be the last time you would ever think of trying it.

You could drive for years without a seatbelt and be fine, but that one time you get hit by the mack truck you will be wishing you took the small precaution of buckling up.

When it comes to things like chicken, always buckle up :sick:

GB said:
You have been lucky...
Neah, I disagree. Nothing to do with luck. I often leave soup on the stove to cool down. There is really no problem with that. As the matter of fact soup tastes better if left to cool down slowly rather than in refrigerator. I would not leave cold soup just to seat on the table for a day, but cooling down is fine.

:) I do it like Allen put pot in sink with cold water and ice.I do it for spaghetti sauce,soups,stews you name it.It chills it fast so you can go ahead and refridgerate in about 20 minutes or so.

Anytime your chicken soup stays in the 40-140 degree range for a prolonged amount of time you really are just playing with fire. If a restaurant did that the board of health would not be very happy. There is a reason that is called the danger zone.

"spaghetti" or tomato sauce really falls into another category even if it contains meat, because of the acidity of the tomatoes. i often make a pot o' gravy (tomato) and leave it on the stove overnight to cool before divvying it up into containers for the fridge and freezer. sometimes, the bigger pots are still pretty warm to the touch 12 or more hours later.

i wouldn't mess with chicken stock tho. it's something easily and inexpensively replaced, but the risks of getting sick are far greater than it's worth.

GB said:
You have been lucky.

So true. Leaving it out overnight is a real no-no. When something is warm to the touch, that's when the bacteria are multiplying the fastest.

Food poisoning isn't pleasant. :(

Here is some info on proper food handling.

Here is a quote from this page.
5. Temperature
Bacteria grows rapidly between the temperatures of 40 degrees F and 140 degrees F. This temperature range is known as the "Danger Zone". To properly store, hold, and cook foods, it is imperative to minimize the amount of time foods are at these temperatures. Pathogenic bacteria thrive in the Danger Zone; certain strains can double in number every 20 minutes. These are the bacteria that cause foodborne illnesses, but do not affect taste, smell, or appearance of the food.

* Any foods that have been in this temperature range for two hours or more should be discarded; they might taste all right, but can make you very sick.
* Don't marinate food at room temperature for longer than 1 hour.

GB, the thing about all this food handling is that they do not point out factor that it is true when temperature is from 40 to 140, but not other way around. When food cools down from 220 + it is not the same when you simply leave pot of soup on the table all day. That is why i said that overnight wouldn't be a problem, but the whole day - I wouldn't risk it.

Charlie,

Are you suggesting it's ok to simmer chicken stock at 212 degrees and then just turn off the heat & leave it on the stove overnight?

Because that's definitely not ok.

The stock will drop in temp 'till it is under 140 and if it's not refrigerated, it will stay in the danger zone for way too long. Unless your house is unheated and it's winter time.

If that's not what you are saying, can you clarify?

GB said:
You have been lucky. In most cases yes you can do this and you will be fine, but it is like playing Russian Roulette (sp?). That one time that you do get sick from doing this will be the last time you would ever think of trying it.

You could drive for years without a seatbelt and be fine, but that one time you get hit by the mack truck you will be wishing you took the small precaution of buckling up.

I will say this, I was making a strawberry cake and was eating the left over batter... within 4 hours I was in the hospital. The docs say it had nothing to do with the batter, but that batter had raw eggs in it. If it did or not, I never touch/eat cake batter anymore or anything with raw eggs. 3 days in the hospital was enough for me. What ever I had was eating the lining of my tummy and moving very very fast.

oh, my, throw it out. i'm certified in kitchen sanitation so hear me on this if you may.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom