Children on the Internet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IronSides

Senior Cook
Teens easy prey for web vultures | Herald Sun

TEENS are putting themselves at risk from internet predators by posting personal information on their MySpace pages.
Randomly visiting MySpace profiles, the Herald Sun discovered scores of young Victorians posting their dates of birth, surnames, suburbs, high schools and workplaces.
Some even post mobile phone numbers and personal email addresses in comments to "friends".
Internet safety experts said social networking sites were more dangerous than chat rooms and urged parents to remain vigilant online.
Using profile details, the Herald Sun was able to find home phone numbers and addresses for five Melbourne girls, aged 16 and 17, in an hour.
I'm not a parent, but I just came across this article an thought it was a little shocking what kids are doing online these days. My problem is they don't even know the information they're putting out there is dangerous. Their parents need to do a better job of being aware what their kids are doing online and the type of information they're posting. There are plenty of sites out there to help parents monitor their kids and keep them safer. I know MySpace has a safety page, and there are also sites out there like NetSmartz411.org teaching parents about internet safety. It may just be me, but reading articles like this is just scary!

Our children are grown up now, but we do have grandchildren using the computer. We keep it in a very prominent spot in the family room and are careful to check out what they are doing. I know everyone can't be watched like this, but your article should be good information for all.

I think that first line should read:

PARENTS ALLOWING Teens to put selves at risk......

licia said:
Our children are grown up now, but we do have grandchildren using the computer. We keep it in a very prominent spot in the family room and are careful to check out what they are doing. I know everyone can't be watched like this, but your article should be good information for all.

:) You can also easily check the history on your computer to see where they have been.

jpmcgrew said:
:) You can also easily check the history on your computer to see where they have been.

True, but some kids are pretty smart and might know how to clear the history. I think the best way for parents to approch the situation is to talk to their kids about internet safety and to try and be as open as possible about the dangers. Have any of you talked to your kids (or grandkids) about safe online habits, especially in these social networks?

p.s.- It's all over the news about how MySpace has hosted 29,000 registered sex offenders on their site. Up from their estimated 5,000!

That's just horrible that MySpace has so many registered sex offenders on their site. If they know who these people are then why don't they Ban them from using MySpace? People can lie about personal info when they register, how can Myspace know that they have 29,000 registered sex offenders?

Back
Top Bottom