Coconut in My Chocolate Chip Cookies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhateverYouWant

Sous Chef
I am not a master baker, but my stuff comes out pretty well. My favorite candy bar growing up was Peter Paul's Mounds.

A couple of days ago I chopped up some dark Hershey's chocolate bars for making my favorite chocolate chip cookies, but didn't get around to it... so I just put in a bowl to snack on. Today I tossed in some sweetened, shredded, coconut that I had on hand into that bowl to enhance that experience... yum.

So I decided I want to add coconut to my chocolate chip cookies. Any thoughts on this other than to just add it in the same proportions I added to the bowl of chopped chocolate (which was wonderful)? Will this significantly change the chemistry of my cookies? Or am I just over analyzing this situation?

That sounds good! One of my favorite cookies is a CC coconut macaroon, with a layer of chocolate spread on the bottom. I can't make those things unless I'm taking them somewhere, as I will eat them all in very little time!

Here's my suggestion. Keep a note tablet in you kitchen to write down the measures of each ingredient you use in a recipe. Then write the date on that recipe. If you think that you got too much of something in it, next time try it with less of it and record the measurement with the date.

Do this until you come up with what you like best. You can also record on the last recipe sheet your impressions for making it the next time. You will finally arrive at what works best for you.

Myself, I like pecans with chocolate chip cookies. I'd try it with some finely ground pecans in a small amount to layer another flavor into it. (not so much that the pecans would be distinct, just subtle where it would enhance the flavor.

Good Luck with your recipe.

Scott, I have a really old recipe from a co-worker of mine for "Kitchen Sink Cookies". I can't find any recipe online that looks like hers - those all call for white and/or brown sugar, while her version uses honey for the sweetener. They are really, reeeealy good. If you want the recipe, I'll post it in the Desserts sub-forum.

Briefly, they're whole wheat pastry flour (you can use AP), soy flour, oats, coconut, choco chips, peanuts, sunflower seeds, honey, a few other basics. Sooo good! I haven't made them in years because I need a mixer with a stronger motor...

Scott,

If you don't want to experiment with the whole batch of cookies make your standard recipe and bake-off two-thirds or three-quarters of the dough then add a smaller portion of the experimental ingredient to the remaining dough.

I like to add peanut butter to my chocolate chip cookies.

This is the basic recipe that I normally use.

Aunt Bea’s Big Cookies

1 cup Butter Crisco
½ cup Smuckers natural peanut butter
1 cup white sugar
1 cup dark brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 big teaspoon of vanilla
2 cups AP flour
½ t salt
½ t baking powder
1 t baking soda
2 cups quick oats
2 cups of stuff - nuts, raisins, dates, craisons, chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, m&ms, candy bits, coconut etc. The combinations are endless.

Heat oven to 350. Cream together first 4 ingredients. Add eggs and vanilla. Sift together flour, salt, baking powder, and soda. Mix dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Then add the oats. Finally, mix in the “stuff”. Use an ice cream scoop to drop on cookie sheet and flatten with a glass dipped in sugar. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, until lightly browned. Cool on racks.

I cut the sugars in half when I make these and sometimes I leave out the peanut butter.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom