Cooking Culture Shock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Spent a summer plus in the UK in a house equipped with a real 4 oven Aga. Don't know if that was culture shock even at first, but I didn't want to leave at the end of the term. For those of you who don't know about Aga ranges, the inside burner is always on, the location on the range determines the heat amount. One oven roasts, one bakes, one simmers, one warms. Two big hot plates one boiling one simmering are used like French tops. Truly awesome to cook on. Can't tell you the cost in the uK but they are very pricey here in the US as imports. And as we are not as "cold" a country where I live here in the US, I didn't even consider one. But if I move to the UP, gonna consider it for sure.

As for culture shock of a different type, living here in Amish country has gotten me the finest fresh veggies etc all summer and autumn. But now that's over till next summer and to go back into the supermarkets with their produce from wherever, weeks or months old...it's a shock.

Interesting - when else would you serve them? :LOL: They're always for breakfast, as far as I know.

Wow...! If I had doughnuts for breakfast, I'd feel... I don't know. As if I'd had cake for breakfast. Or icecream. (Actually... I've been known to have icecream for breakfast! But it still felt odd!)

I guess it's no worse for you than having waffles drenched in syrup, or pancakes... but doughnuts just don't feel like a breakfast food!

We tend to eat them as a snack for a treat. If we served them for breakfast, people would look as us funny :LOL:

We've always thought of doughnuts as a breakfast food, although not one you'd eat every day. Also for having with coffee or as a snack. But I would never think of them as a lunch or a dinner. Weird, huh?

I didn't intend to start a Krispy Kreme or donut discussion. I had asked about Harrad's because when I was there the Krispy Kreme was brand new. The donuts they were making at the time were identical to the USA variety. The reason I asked is because Krispy Kreme over expanded in the USA and have closed in a lot of places. Krispy Kreme is not a typical donut. Don't judge the USA based on Krispy Kreme. It is a one of a kind akin to a McDonald's hamburger. I could take you to Woullets Bakery in Wayzata, MN and you would probably rave.

A donut is a breakfast snack substitute or treat. It generally is not eaten with a full breakfast. It is also a morning food often served with coffee at a 10 AM coffee break or in morning office meetings when a break is scheduled. In the afternoon cookies and soft drinks seem to take over for the same functions.

Like Stassie over in NZ, you won't see a donut on a breakfast menu in Australia either, well at least not in WA. While I see it being bought for morning teas, for the most part I see it being bought after school is out for afternoon teas. Definite treat food.

A donut is a breakfast snack substitute or treat. It generally is not eaten with a full breakfast. It is also a morning food often served with coffee at a 10 AM coffee break or in morning office meetings when a break is scheduled. In the afternoon cookies and soft drinks seem to take over for the same functions.

Muffins (the American version, not English) tend to fill this role in NZ. I'd have one for breakfast, and I often order them for morning tea meetings at work.

:)All I know is the Ozzies eat pancakes as a dessert and the germans like waffles as an afternoon tea thing.;Americans eat them both for breakfast.Not that is a good thing.

When you consider that it wasn't so long ago that a typical Australian breakfast consisted of a steak, sausages, egg and chips, not having (what we consider) a dessert food for breakfast is not such a bad thing!!!LOL

:)All I know is the Ozzies eat pancakes as a dessert and the germans like waffles as an afternoon tea thing.;Americans eat them both for breakfast.Not that is a good thing.

Pancakes as a dessert? I would eat them for breakfast and definately never for dessert LOL

i think maybe piklets are better actually lol
my mum actually makes spinach canneloni out of pancakes (for dinner of course), obviously savoury lol

Going back to the whole culture shock topic, I moved from NYC to suburban Florida. And we don't drive.

I miss being able to hop a train for good Indian food then changing my mind and walking a little further for sushi. Or being able to grab a gyro and eat in Central Park.

Where I live now I get to pick from McDs, 7-11, and chain steakhouses. I'm not pleased.

Pancakes as a dessert? I would eat them for breakfast and definately never for dessert LOL
Breakfast food for Pancake Tuesday and dessert the rest of the time. Unless of course we are talking savoury pancakes and then they are breakfast, lunch or dinner!!;)

Wow...! If I had doughnuts for breakfast, I'd feel... I don't know. As if I'd had cake for breakfast. Or icecream. (Actually... I've been known to have icecream for breakfast! But it still felt odd!)

I guess it's no worse for you than having waffles drenched in syrup, or pancakes... but doughnuts just don't feel like a breakfast food!

We tend to eat them as a snack for a treat. If we served them for breakfast, people would look as us funny :LOL:

In our family, they were a Sunday treat, not everyday breakfast food.

Some Brazilian eating costumes that are significantly different than USA:

Advocados are generally considered dessert and eaten with lemon juice and sugar sprinkled on them.
As someone stated, is common to put mayo in your pizza and with your French fries.
It is also common to have your pizza with a bit of olive oil on it and there are sweet pizzas, like chocolate with strawberry, pineapple, etc.
The regular sugar used for coffee, etc. is almost like American powdered sugar.
Nobody drinks coffee with a meal, perhaps an espresso afterwards.
Hot dogs can be served plain (American style) or with all sort of stuff on them, like corn, sweet peas, etc.
In Southern Brazil (at least long time ago), Pepsi was more popular than Coke.
A tiny cup of espresso in any street stand up bar, used to be free (not any more)

Shopping in a 3rd world country(we've lived in Egypt and India) was such a challenge! I didn't really appreciate our modern supermarkets and the convenience of one-stop shopping until we lived overseas for the first time. Maybe it's different now but 10 years ago in Cairo there were separate shops for: fish, beef and chicken, pork(pretty scarce as you can imagine), bakery items, stationery, fresh spices, pastries, fruits&vegetables, toys,etc., etc., etc. In Mumbai, India in addition to the above you had to navigate non-existent streets, dodge people and vehicles, and then choose from different vendors along filthy "streets" as to what you wanted. This one had better tomatos but that one had better lettuce.........and you definitely had to soak all veggies and fruits in clorox or potassium permanganate that would stain your hands purple if you accidentally got the crystals on you (which I always did). Shopping for a family of 4 took up half a day. But the friendliness of the people and their willingness to help always made the experience a memorable one.

Hot dogs can be served plain (American style) or with all sort of stuff on them, like corn, sweet peas, etc.

Plain as in, with nothing at all on them? I don't think I've ever seen anyone other than young children eat hot dogs that way. There are regional variations of what to put on them, but there's always something.

Back
Top Bottom