Cook's Illustrated app vs web subscription

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchengoddess8

Sous Chef
I just got an email that Cooks Illustrated is running a web subscription special for $17.50, which is 50% off the annual price. I'm trying to figure out whether I should take advantage of that or subscribe to their iPhone/iPad app which is $19.99 annually and looks really cool and feature rich. Any suggestions?

I just got an email that Cooks Illustrated is running a web subscription special for $17.50, which is 50% off the annual price. I'm trying to figure out whether I should take advantage of that or subscribe to their iPhone/iPad app which is $19.99 annually and looks really cool and feature rich. Any suggestions?

I would go for the $17.50 one. Just remember that they only publish six editions a year. One every other month. And are you going to get the "whole" magazine? Even the editorials or letters from Christopher? Do you read every single page in it when you get the hard copy? (I do. So I would want the complete edition.) If so will you get that feature with the special?

Or are you a person who has to have the latest and greatest coolest thing to come along? (I am not.) Can you print out any of the recipes from your iPad/iPhone? It is going to be difficult to read it when you are trying a new recipe. What is the main section that you read every single time.? "The Food Tastes?" The Equipment Test?" Will that be included?

Not so simple is it? Lots to think about. For me I would rather have the hard copy. And the pictures on the back covers make for some lovely framed pictures for your kitchen. You won't get them on your iPad/iPhone. :angel:

Does the web subscription give you access the the entire web site? If so, it's a no-brainer.

Does the web subscription give you access the the entire web site? If so, it's a no-brainer.

Yes it does! Just spoke to customer service. They told me I would also have access to all back issues of Cooks Illustrated magazine online. I'm going for the web version!!

Buyer beware. Maybe they've changed their policies, but I'd be very leary of anything that Cooks Illustrated offers.

A couple of years ago, I purchased a paid subscription to their magazine. In addition, I also paid another $25 per year to subscribe to their website. That should have given me access to everything, you would think.

The problem I ran into is that every other time I tried to pull up a recipe on their website, I would get a message that said: "Sorry. This page is for Editors' Choice Cookbook Collection Members Only". And there would be a link to "upgrade" my membership. Really? On top of what I paid, they wanted even more money?

No thanks. My subscriptions have since lapsed, and I won't be signing up again anytime soon. There are plenty of recipe sites on the internet that offer as much, if not more, information than Cooks Illustrated.

Last edited:
As much as I love Cook's illustrated, they have been bordering on scammy. I ordered my cookbooks from Amazon to avoid getting caught up in their auto ship mess. So many recipes repeated from book to book.

There have been quite a few tricks that I have learned from them that I'm grateful for.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Buyer beware. Maybe they've changed their policies, but I'd be very leary of anything that Cooks Illustrated offers.

A couple of years ago, I purchased a paid subscription to their magazine. In addition, I also paid another $25 per year to subscribe to their website. That should have given me access to everything, you would think.

The problem I ran into is that every other time I tried to pull up a recipe on their website, I would get a message that said: "Sorry. This page is for Editors' Choice Cookbook Collection Members Only". And there would be a link to "upgrade" my membership. Really? On top of what I paid, they wanted even more money?

No thanks. My subscriptions have since lapsed, and I won't be signing up again anytime soon. There are plenty of recipe sites on the internet that offer as much, if not more, information than Cooks Illustrated.

I've had similar feelings about their money hungry approach so don't go there anymore. I got an unsolicited "free" mini issue in the mail. That was followed by a bill for a full subscription. I had to either go online or call the cancel the subscription.

I think I can cancel before the two week trial is up. Mostly I wanted the equipment and food reviews. I hope signing up wasn't a big mistake!

I thin you'll enjoy the content. Just keep on top of their trying to get more money from you.

Thanks Andy. I'm relieved. For $17.99 it seems to be a decent value, especially since I'm a newbie and have lots to learn.

Steve, I called about the same problem. Only I had two subscriptions. One for me and one for my daughter. At full price. Couldn't gain access to their site.

Their excuse? "We don't accept any advertising. Our only income is from subscriptions to our magazine and site." It is definitely a "Buyer Beware!"

I don't think their recipes are all that great sometimes. Maybe their shortcuts. And I certainly don't agree with all their top picks for equipment. I still prefer Cuisinart pots and pans. :angel:

I'm hoping the videos will be helpful for basic cooking techniques. I would probably have to modify some of their recipes because of my food allergies.

I don't think their recipes are all that great sometimes. Maybe their shortcuts. And I certainly don't agree with all their top picks for equipment. I still prefer Cuisinart pots and pans. :angel:

Many of their recipes are good because they "work", but are often lackluster in the flavor department.

I've also had a few recipes that failed. For a company claims to test each recipe 50 times or more, they really need to make sure that those recipes are printed correctly in their cookbook. They have a yellow cake recipe that is obviously wrong in the America's Test Kitchen Family Baking Book, I've seen the recipe reprinted in other cook books of theirs with more flour, and I realized why it failed when I made it. In the same book, there is an inedible gingerbread recipe and a failure of a multigrain bread recipe (should really make 2 loaves but you are instructed to make just one).

Anyone that knows me knows that I make a recipe the first time EXACTLY as written using a scale.

I get a free weekly newsletter from ATK (parent company of Cooks Illustrated) : KitchenNotes@emails.americastestkitchen.com as well as a newsletter from Cooks County.

The newsletters have recipes and reviews, though not at the depth the mag went into. I had a subscription to the mag for a couple years, good stuff. Sad that it's become such a convoluted process.

Last edited:
I get a free weekly newsletter from ATK (parent company of Cooks Illustrated) : KitchenNotes@emails.americastestkitchen.com as well as a newsletter from Cooks County.

The newsletters have recipes and reviews, though not at the depth the mag went into. I had a subscription to the mag for a couple years, good stuff. Sad that it's become such a convoluted process.

It does seem convoluted! And reaching a knowledgeable customer service person is a real effort!

I love Cooks Illustrated. I get the magazine and I have a subscription to the website. I like to sit on the porch with a glass of wine and read the magazine and later on when I want to use one of their recipes, I like the convenience of being able to look it up on the website. Yes, there's lots of free stuff out there, but you get what you pay for ;)

Since I don't bake much I haven't used those recipes much. All the other recipes of theirs I've used have worked great. I don't always go with their equipment recommendations, but I usually find their information helpful in making my decision.

They have recently changed their subscription model and maybe they're still working out the kinks. For now, I have decided to stick with what I have.

I have subscribed to the mag, taken recipes from the internet and watched the TV shows. I have mixed feelings about their methods. I have had mixed results from their recipes. I wonder if there is an incremental benefit from all the fussiness that's part of many of their recipes. I don't care for their attitude as seen on TV at all.

Back
Top Bottom