Could milk be used to make bread?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

callmaker60

Senior Cook
Since all recipe's add water for bread making, i was just wondering if milk would be used, and what might the affects be.

My MIL used milk to proof the yeast before adding it to the flour. I believe that the extra fat, and protein from the milk would add body and extra moisture to the bread. On the downside, the bread would have to be carefully watched, and I would worry about the milk spoiling, as bread rises in ideal conditions to create milk spoilage. That's pr0bably why milk isn't used. I have seen powdered milk added to bread recipes though. And I know milk is often used to make biscuits. Buttermilk is often used in baking recipes because the living cultures create an inhospitable environment for other critters. The bread would have a mildly sour flavor, like a sourdough, but probably would be very good.

Hope that helps.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I'm wondering if you mean, specifically, the liquid used to proof the yeast. If so, I've done that and had no problem. If you mean using only milk as the liquid, I've done that also, no problem. I'm sure with a little research a recipe will come up for an all milk bread, no water, recipe and you would probably end up with a softer loaf.

Yes, i was just wondering if milk could be used in the break making process, instead of water, I guess it wouldn't hurt, just too chicken to try it.

I have used fresh milk, canned milk and powdered milk to make bread with no problems. It changes the texture of the bread and also helps to keep it fresh/soft for a few days. You can also add eggs and butter to the dough, along with the milk, if you want a rich dough for sweet breads. I still use a 1/4 cup of water to proof the yeast. It really depends on what you are making. Italian style bread is pretty much just flour, salt, yeast and water. Country or farm style white bread is likely to contain half milk, half water and a little butter. Keep reading recipes and asking questions, it will all fall into place with some practice.

Last edited:
Actually, quite a few recipes call for only milk, particularly sweet breads. There are also recipes that use only whey (leftover liquid from cheesemaking). Not sure where you got the idea that all bread recipes call for water .

, and I would worry about the milk spoiling, as bread rises in ideal conditions to create milk spoilage. That's pr0bably why milk isn't used.

No, the milk doesn't spoil in that amount of time. I've made a family favorite for holidays for 30+ years that uses ONLY milk as the liquid, and uses fresh whole eggs and real butter as well, and have never had a problem. BTW, it's a Betty Crocker recipe.

No, the milk doesn't spoil in that amount of time. I've made a family favorite for holidays for 30+ years that uses ONLY milk as the liquid, and uses fresh whole eggs and real butter as well, and have never had a problem. BTW, it's a Betty Crocker recipe.

Thanks. I was postulating. I knew the milk would make the dough sweeter, and more moist. But I was simply concerned that the acids produced by the yeast would react with the milk. Thank you (and the rest of you as well) for teaching me something new.:)

Since all recipe's add water for bread making, i was just wondering if milk would be used, and what might the affects be.
Yes, you get a softer crumb and the crust isn't as crusty when you use a mixture of milk and water. I don't normally use all milk unless a recipe asks for it. Sweet doughs often use milk.

The recipe I use for muffins (ours not yours) asks for milk and water and I us it if I'm making a plaited loaf for pulling apart and I don't want bits of crust flying around when we're eating it.

We can buy a soft sliced loaf in the UK which goes under the name of "milk bread" so presumably contains milk. It's mass-produced and a bit nasty IMO but some people like it.

Last edited:
My mom used to make white loaf bread (super for sandwiches and toast) using milk. we had a cow and an abundance of milk - she used it at every opportunity. The milk also gave the bread a protein boost and softer crumb. I think was a riff on the one in the fannie farmer cookbook

Her recipe called for scalding the milk (whole milk), adding a little butter and then adding some cold water to get it down to a usable temp. The rest was AP flour, yeast and salt.

The bread was fabulous and I had sandwiches from it for lunch every day for years as a kid.

1 1/2 C hot milk
2 Pats Butter
1/2 Cold water
1 T Molasses
1 Pkg Yeast (hydrated) I substitute SAF yeast

6 Cups AP Flour
2 tsp salt

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom