Creamy Parmesan Herb Pasta Sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Readerchan

Assistant Cook
Hello everyone!

I was craving some simple butter-Parmesan noodles (you know, the kind we make for our picky kids) for dinner and I got a little crazy and created something completely different than my original intent. But I think I created something really good! It just needs a little tweaking and so I joined this forum to get you guys' opinion.

I cooked spaghetti normally. In a medium sized pan, I combined 3.5 tbs butter, about 1/4 cup whipping cream, 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, one tsp of parsley, a 1/2 teaspoon each of oregano and basil, and 1/8 tsp garlic powder. I heated it until it was a smooth creamy sauce, and that was it! The flavor was pretty darn good! I am not an experienced "cook" by any stretch of the imagination so I was quite pleasantly surprised at what i had accidentally created.

It still needs some tweaking however. My biggest question is about the texture, which was not great. It was not gritty but so it was so thick that it was kind of, pasty I guess, for lack of a better word. I suspect this may be because I didn't put enough cream to balance out all that Parmesan cheese. But I'm not sure if I want to add more cream, because I really liked how thick it was - it stuck to the noodles perfectly.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix the texture thing without changing the flavor? Thank you so much for taking the time to read my post. I would be incredibly appreciative to anyone that responds.

Have a great weekend!

The pasta and the parm cheese are both absorbing the cream. So even though you like it thick, I would suggest you add the parm just a little at a time to the sauce giving it time to absorb. You may find that you don't need as much parm. Or that you do need more cream. May I suggest that you use half and half or even milk for the sauce. It still will be thick and creamy. Providing you give the liquid time to absorb and melt the cheese. :angel:

Aside from the oregano, parsley and basil, you made an alfredo sauce.

If it was too thick, just add some more cream. To prevent grittiness, add the parm off the heat and just stir it in until it's all melted.

Well thank you all so much for your responses! I will give these suggestions a try. How funny that every time I have tried to make Alfredo sauce in the past it came out watery and disgusting, and last night I ended up making a great one by accident!

Thanks again for reading my post and responding, I love this forum!

Well thank you all so much for your responses! I will give these suggestions a try. How funny that every time I have tried to make Alfredo sauce in the past it came out watery and disgusting, and last night I ended up making a great one by accident!

Thanks again for reading my post and responding, I love this forum!

And we would love to have you stick around. Welcome to DC. This is a fun place to be and if there is ever a question, you will receive many different answers as you found out. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom