DC Food Diary

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have some whole grain toast for breakfast. I think you need more at breakfast!

I'm so not a breakfast person but I will try! Thanks PF :)

I've tried making up for breakfast with snacks but according to the Calorie counting website my fat and carb intake is too low.
Getting closer though. I've never liked junk so I tend to eat things that are low in calories.
I've bought some nuts etc. to add to my diet.

Last edited:
Snip, I'm so confused! You mention you are trying to lose weight a few times here, but then you also mention not getting enough calories. Is eating enough food the issue for you or is losing some weight the issue? Or maybe its the type of food you're trying to eat? I hope I didn't offend with my earlier posts!

I pop in on this thread from time to time just to see what is up. PF, you sound like you're doing a great job. Your food journal sounds remarkably like mine. I often have hummus and crackers (sesame) for a meal during the day. I'm rooting for you!

Mostly, I'm in the "adding exercise" to my daily routine if I think I need to burn off a few pounds. I'm not as concerned about my intake as I am about my output. I've been a sedentary little slug for a long time, so my goal is to up my activity to a minimum of 3 x week and better still...daily! So far this week I've already done 3 so I'm now in the position of trying not to "coast" for the next couple of days, but to fit in another workout or two! :rolleyes:

Snip, I'm so confused! You mention you are trying to lose weight a few times here, but then you also mention not getting enough calories. Is eating enough food the issue for you or is losing some weight the issue? Or maybe its the type of food you're trying to eat? I hope I didn't offend with my earlier posts!

I pop in on this thread from time to time just to see what is up. PF, you sound like you're doing a great job. Your food journal sounds remarkably like mine. I often have hummus and crackers (sesame) for a meal during the day. I'm rooting for you!

Mostly, I'm in the "adding exercise" to my daily routine if I think I need to burn off a few pounds. I'm not as concerned about my intake as I am about my output. I've been a sedentary little slug for a long time, so my goal is to up my activity to a minimum of 3 x week and better still...daily! So far this week I've already done 3 so I'm now in the position of trying not to "coast" for the next couple of days, but to fit in another workout or two! :rolleyes:

I wanted to lose 3 kgs and I've done that already. I don't want to lose more weight. I was getting my calories from liquids, junk and energy drinks because I'm always so darn busy. Now that I've started eating healthier again, I'm finding it hard to get the calories my body needs without resorting to my old bad habbits. Fruit and veggies don't contain much in the line of fat, protein and carbs :LOL:
So ignore the weight loss posts, I've done that already. I'm now on mission "eat enough good stuff to make up the right amount of calories"

Does it make sense now?

I'm so not a breakfast person but I will try! Thanks PF :)

I've tried making up for breakfast with snacks but according to the Calorie counting website my fat and carb intake is too low.
Getting closer though. I've never liked junk so I tend to eat things that are low in calories.
I've bought some nuts etc. to add to my diet.

Maybe boil a dozen eggs and have one or two as a mid-morning snack. I find I eat more regularly in the morning if it's easy to prepare and/or just eat :)

Maybe boil a dozen eggs and have one or two as a mid-morning snack. I find I eat more regularly in the morning if it's easy to prepare and/or just eat :)

Good idea. I always make boiled eggs and keep them in the fridge for the kids to snack on anyway. I could just boil more.
Think I sould start drinking smoothies again too!
I forget sometimes that I need to feed myself and not only the kids :LOL:
They take food off my plate every night and I never bother dishing up more either. At least my children are well fed :angel:

could put pb/almond/cashew butter onto those low-kCal foods. dip pretzels. use whole milk. buy raw nuts & season them, use cheeses, ingest seeds. there's time to dine in the day. could dine in increments.

I ate enough today, that's for sure! Some of it bad for the cholesterol level though. It's Friday, don't judge lol! It wasn't very naughty anyway :LOL:

Breakfast: 2 slices of toasted mixed grain bread with marmite and 2 coffees with milk no sugar.

Lunch: 2 boiled eggs, one tomato and a few beef strips.

Dinner: 1 Bratwurst on a Hotdog Bun, a cup of sauerkraut and pickled beets.

Snacks: Lychees, raw green beans and a few pine nuts.

Had some Green Tea with lemon and lots of water with ice.

Vitamins: Calcium, magnesium, multivite and omega 3,6,9.

Calories 1207

Last edited:
Your breakfast sounds better. Good Job! You should try to get in whole grains at least three times a day, especially earlier in the day, your body needs the fuel.

Your breakfast sounds better. Good Job! You should try to get in whole grains at least three times a day, especially earlier in the day, your body needs the fuel.

Thank you :) I think I did much better today. I usually only buy whole grain and seeded breads and we eat mainly brown rice. We were just very broke the last few weeks so I had to buy white bread. It's half the price in SA. Most junk foods are cheaper too, makes you wonder how the very poor manage? It's so sad :(
Over 2 million people in SA live on less than R10 a day! That not even $2. They must pay rent, school fees, buy food, clothes and medicine with this. I don't know how they survive. Makes you feel very lucky to have just the basics.

I was bad today, really bad!

Breakfast: 2 cups of coffee with milk no sugar.
1 slice of 7 grain toast with tomato.

Lunch? 3 Vodkas with redbull.

Dinner: 200 gr of lamb riblets, mash and brown onion gravy and a cup of steamed veggies with pickled jalapeno's.

Drank all my vitamins though lol!

Calories so far 1600.

Not my fault hubby is asleep, it's raining cats and dogs and my darling son is playing Mario Brothers and Caty is by her Dad for the weekend. I get bored quickly !

Not even going to try and post properly here today. Had cake and tea at the church and hubby wants cornish pasties for dinner with mash and gravy. We've just been grazing today so my calories are at about 1 zillion lol!

What I ate today:

Breakfast: 2 coffees with milk no sugar. 2 small orange muffins that my friend baked for me. Yum!

Lunch: Brawn on a wholegrain sandwich.
Some Lychees.

Dinner: Italian meatballs with sundried tomato sauce and a baked sweet potato.

Green tea and a glass of milk.

Multivite, calcium and magnesium tabs and cranberry extract.

Calories: 1190

Today I had....

Breakfast: 3 coffees with milk.
Multigrain cheerios with low fat milk

Lunch: Ham and mustard on a wholegrain sandwich.
1 pear.

Dinner: 3 fish fingers, some spicy brown rice and gemsquash stuffed with creamed sweetcorn and topped with cheddar.

Calories: 1370

Where is everyone?! Am I posting alone now :(

What I had today:

Breakfast: 3 coffees with low fat milk no sugar.
Oats with honey and pumpkin seeds.

Lunch: Homemade vegetable soup. Tangy and spicy Yum! Made it nice and hot!

Dinner: More Vegetable soup and a bit of homemade chilli that I made for hubby and kids with brown rice.

Had lots of water and green tea. It's very hot today!

Calories so far: 1150

My menu for today...

Breakfast : 2 coffees with milk no sugar. Cornflakes and some litchis.

Lunch: Bowl of veggie soup with 2 slices of wholegrain bread.

Dinner: Pap (maizemeal) with morogo (spinach with tomato and onion and spices)

Snack: 1 can of sardines in springwater and a glass of milk

Calories: 1245

I had a whole pizza with shrimp, spinach, pineapple, asparagus, mushrooms and mozza yesterday. Only had space for some passionfruit after. Calories were 1540 with my 2 coffees in the morning.

Today I'm having a pastrami panini for lunch and roast lamb, potatoes, rice and gemsquash. That will be about a gazillion calories. Won't even bother checking lol!

What I had today:

Breakfast: 2 coffees with milk. 1 slice of wholewheat bread with gouda.

Lunch: Baked curry samosa and some litchis.

Dinner: Homemade burger, with egg, cheddar cheese, jalapenos and mixed green salad.

Last edited:
What I had today... Still posting by myself I see :(

Breakfast: 2 coffees with milk.
Broccoli and cheese soup.

Lunch: Large garden salad with a slice of wholewheat bread.

Dinner: Cured sausages with zucchini mash and gravy.

Snack: Beans with butter. Lots of green tea with lemon and some radishes.

Back
Top Bottom